Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
While it is unlikely to be used, the Kangaroos also have the first pick in the pre-season draft, so theoretically if negotiations failed he could walk there for nothing.
Correct, I raised this possibility but it fell on deaf ears despite this occurring two seasons ago with Jack Martin at Carltank. Granted it was different clubs with different circumstances.

Norf will be essentially doing us a favour if they give us something as they can get him for free via the pre season draft. They don't owe us anything and have the cash to give CCJ an offer we can't come close to.

They are in the box seat, anything higher than Norf's second is going to be the best outcome despite the fact he's worth more than that IMHO. The only thing which may help force Norf's hand is interest from other clubs but that doesn't appear likely at this point in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
I don't get this notion that we will regret this. Regret what exactly? It wasn't Richmond who delisted CCJ, it is CCJ walking. We offered him a contract within the constraints of our salary cap and in the context of his performances to date and what we saw in terms of his development. I see absolutely no way we could match an offer from North which sounds like overs.

He is a similar forward type to Lynch so I am not convinced he would compliment our forward line.

All the stuff about Riewoldt is absurd - he came 3rd in the Coleman, yeah, let's delist the player who kicked more goals than all but 2 of the other forwards in the league.

I don't blame CCJ for taking the offer. He can get some financial security and is not yet a proven performer at AFL level, good deal for him.

CCJ is walking, we're not telling him to go.

DS

Don't really agree with this.

It is very strange we are only offering a 2 year contract. Was he seriously a big chance to be delisted in two years?

We've held onto Miller who has shown far less for coming up 5 years.

We have either:

1) Decided we're not serious about keeping him and want the $$$ spent elsewhere

2) Got ahead of ourselves and thought low-balling an in-demand player will still see him sign-on

Given the massive discrepancy in contracts it didn't become an opportunity decision for CCJ. We took that one out of his hands.

Leysy thinks he will be a very very good ruckman in a few years. Hopefully Samson becomes that for us.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
So CCJ wants to be a big fish in a small pond by going to North. Surely it would have held fire for a year and become a big fish in a big pond (Richmond).

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
How did he look in his debut AFL game? Too much being made of a few decent games in a very mixed 2021 VFL comp.

Built like a beanstalk. Years away if he ever makes it at all IMHO.
Kid was a wrong choice for his debut game, exposed to early at AFL level n bloody wet as well did the kid no favours. He also copped a ruckman's knock to the front of the knee pretty much first contest he went to.
I'd pretty much be deleting his first run from the memory bank n start again from next year onward.
Watched a few of our VFL games doing a bit of cooties couch potato this year n Delilah goes o.k. I'll be happy to follow his development, think he should have enough tools to step up to the job in future.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
yep, I'm bemused by all the sages here saying Ryan or Colina are "miles off" or "haven't shown anything".

pretty sure club staff know precisely where they're at and are well trained in assessing long term trajectories.

if we truly saw CCJ as bona fide best 22 he'd be staying.

don't get me wrong, we wanted him to stay. but as backup to Soldo / Nank or backup to Lynch / Riewoldt.

so he leaves and we don't lose a great deal of sleep.

Reactions: 7 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
yep, I'm bemused by all the sages here saying Ryan or Colina are "miles off" or "haven't shown anything".

pretty sure club staff know precisely where they're at and are well trained in assessing long term trajectories.

don't get me wrong, we wanted him to stay. but as backup to Soldo / Nank or backup to Lynch / Riewoldt.

agree.

anyone writing Sampson Ryan off is perilously close to understand little about footy.

a 20yo big who grabs VFL games by the throat is way, way ahead of the development curve.

If you want to use Luke Jackson as a developmental template, go ahead. But you're setting yourself up for 30 years of angst and frustration.

I'm happy to go on the record that Ryan will be a better player than Mabs or CCJ.

Reactions: 8 users

TGM

Tiger Rookie
Apr 6, 2009
We didn't want to keep Deledio
My point being he was almost our best player for a decade.
I think this will refocus all of our tall forwards to have a massive pre season. It gives hope to Ryan and Collina that they may get games earlier than they expected etc.
Only way this turns sour is if they both turn into guns which is unlikely.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Perhaps, I hope we don't have them on the list for 6 years like Elton.

Brian H

Tiger Cub
Jul 26, 2013
Callum Coleman-Judas. I'm very disappointed in him not being at Richmond. He has taken the money and run - and to lolnorf of all places. He just had to wait and he would have had a future with us. He may as well betrayed us all the way and gone to Geesooks, luckily he is way too young.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Internally, culturally etc we won’t miss CJ.

If he can get twice the $$, for twice as long to play at North, and all things considered with where he sits on our list, and I was his manager, I'd be advising him to go.

ive got no hard feelings.

and I dont think its a huge risk for us.

we have two young premiership ruckmen. at 27 and 25, they are babies. they could do the bulk of our ruck work for the next 5 years, with Sampson and mate as the projects boiling away and time to get another couple on the back burner.

Melbourne hit the absolute jackpot with Jackson. Fancy a huge, snakey, athletic bloke with great mitts imposing himself in the ruck at 19?

an extraordinary coup kind of beyond belief.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users