Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git

Feb 25, 2007
CJ has the potential to be another Ottens.
It was a big mistake letting Ottens walk.
I'll be gutted if CJ leaves.

That's the golden word potential, I like CCJ want him to stay but wouldn't be comparing him to Otto, brad was flying before he decided to fly the coup. he wanted out period. Read the full article, but here's a snippet.

Ottens said the lack of success at Richmond meant he no longer enjoyed playing with the club.
"The whole reason behind this was to enjoy my footy again, and I saw Geelong as the place that I could enjoy my footy and enjoy my life as well and live down there," he said.

Reactions: 1 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'm sure the guys have a coupe of game plans here, and I'm sure one involves both Cholly and Callum leaving, and what that will mean for their plan of attack

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
He's played 9 games and showed potential that's it. So he ain't getting 600K. Now in 3 years time if he's flying, hypothetically speaking he's at north they would most likely restructure his contract and extend it on a much higher base.
Spot on but just saying he needs to consider years 3, 4 and 5. We're offering him market for the next 2 years and we would calibrate his package accordingly years 3, 4 and 5. If he's any good our offer over 5 years will be more than what North has reportedly put on the table. We've looked after him thus far including kebabgate and we'll continue to look after him in the future. Does he want to win premierships or or be a relocation target?

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
We were an ordinary side, and club when we drafted Ottens. He played 12 games in his first year, and had played 70 after four seasons, CJ has played 9 games after 4 seasons.
For numerous reasons CJ hasn't had the opportunity to play many games. He may not turn out to be as good, but I still say that CJ has the potential to be as good as Ottens.

Here's a comparison at the same age, CJ played 8 games in his 4th season and Ottens 20 games in his 5th season.

I'll be disappointed if we let CJ walk.

Last edited:

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We were an ordinary side, and club when we drafted Ottens. He played 12 games in his first year, and had played 70 after four seasons, CJ has played 9 games after 4 seasons.
For numerous reasons CJ hasn't had the opportunity to play many games. He may not turn out to be as good, but I still say that CJ has the potential to be as good as Ottens.

Here's a comparison at the same age, CJ played 8 games in his 4th season and Ottens 20 games in his 5th season.

I'll be disappointed if we let CJ walk.

Not as mobile
Ottens was quick for his size and could jump like a gazelle to mark the point.
The only similiar thing between Cj & Ottens in my eyes is cash is the reason.
Wallace wouldn't give Ottens the extra 60k, he was asking for.
Watch the highlight DvD of 2001 its the Ottens show
Cj dreams to be like Ottens

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Gc have been interested in him for over 2 years now.
Its surprising that a *smile* club like Gc could lose out to a garbage football club like North Melbourne.
The only reason you would go to North is if your dead broke.
Same reason the older duds and end up at the Karadinia retirement Village.
Money is his only motivation.
even Adelaide have gone cold on him..

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not as mobile
Ottens was quick for his size and could jump like a gazelle to mark the point.
The only similiar thing between Cj & Ottens in my eyes is cash is the reason.
Wallace wouldn't give Ottens the extra 60k, he was asking for.
Watch the highlight DvD of 2001 its the Ottens show
Cj dreams to be like Ottens
Agree about the pace.

We have only seen a very small sample size from CJ.
The below comparison is when they are the same age, it's CJ's 4th season at the club and Ottens 5th season. CJ has played a total of 9 games and Ottens 99 games.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Was his first season at vfl , you’d be happy if an early pick performed like he did first year at vfl , several games multi goals lots of marks , moves well, to asses him on one senior appearance is nuffy 101
If you had have read more closely, BJ Nuffy, you would see that I didn't assess him. I responded to Carter's saying ' he looks the goods'. What after one AFL game in which he was completely out of his depth, or what? Could hardly get a touch and just about stuffed up everything when he could. Clearly not ready yet and an unfortunate selection for that game. looked way too early.

Based on VFL form? Again if you bothered to look closer, I used the keyword 'mixed' to describe a very messy, expanded but disjointed comp this season with greater gaps between the quality and consistency of sides than for many, many years.

He has a long way to go before he proves himself a capable AFL player is what I am saying. So there is no proof he can come in and replace someone like Nank ... probably a matter of another couple of years. Needs to add a minimum of 5/6kgs of muscle to the frame at 206cm for a start.

That's for any nuffy 101s. And further to why we need to keep one of Chol or CCJ.

Last edited:

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
As far as I can recall he got slaughtered at the bounces and ruck contests but showed a bit. (Bellchambers) I think he ended up with 12-13 around the ground. Looked like he knew how to play ruck but couldn't compete with the bigger bodies
If he goes we've still got Soldo to return (hopefully) and of course we'd love to see if Mate Colina can develop quickly.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Would love CCJ to stay but as I've said before if a player wants out for whatever reason, cya! Guess we'll know by this week.

It's more likely than not that he leaves, do the maths, Norths offer 5 yrs at 400K (2mill) and likely more game time with Goldstein nearing the end.
Compared to Richmonds 2 year deal at 250-300K (guestimate) couldn't see CCJ being on 350-400K
If your guesstimate is correct that was an invitation to leave. What pick is likely to come our way… let’s hope for pick 20!

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
HUGE HUGE mistake if Callum ends up leaving Richmond.

One - which many here - will rue for years to come.

Structurally it leaves a massive hole in our list. Disastrous decision by Blair and Hardwick - not prioritising Callum's contract. Not giving him longer than 2 years and promising him regular game time.

With Chol departing. If Lynch or Riewoldt go down for any periods next year - Who may I ask is going to fill the void.? Soldo? Samson Ryan? Or pulling Balta out of defence?

Accurate goal kicking ruckmen - who are just as proficient playing forward - are rare as hens teeth. Years of development down the drain.

What for.

Maintaining the salary/playing status of a legend of the club - Who as a rising 33yr old should have retired gracefully this year.

Riewoldt's form this year (1 good game in 4) is a portend of what is to come in 2022.
You have been prepared to state a few home truths that I think I share. I'm really worried that re-signing JR8, who is clearly in decline now, may cost us CCJ.
I totally acknowledge how difficult the situation is for the club to push legends like Bachar or Jack out although there are arguments for each perspective. However, we made the hard choice/decision on Bach whom someone could argue may have been moving better than Jack in games this year. However, JR just has such footy smarts that he can bob up and kick a goal or two from nowhere after being quite ordinary for 3Qs.

Anyway, I really concur: if this costs us CCJ especially, and/or Chol as well, it could be a major setback. I've posted a couple of times expressing my reserve about Soldo's future too. He's never had any pace, and if he loses another metre or two post knee-injury, he could reach dinosaur class quite quickly.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
As soon as I saw him crack the shites when Pickett got in his way to take mark of the year in the VFL in 2019 I knew he must be a massive campaigner. Theory confirmed

Feb 25, 2007
If your guesstimate is correct that was an invitation to leave. What pick is likely to come our way… let’s hope for pick 20!

Would have to be pick 20 surely. Their next pick after that is 38.

Its pick 20 or a player swap of similar ilk.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Nth and ccj could bend us over and take it to the psd. If he leaves the best result will be a bidding war between nth and gc.