Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
I wonder how long it will take AFL.com to fix their "By the numbers: 2017 AFL Draft" article that currently has his photo captioned as being drafted by West Coast.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
bullus_hit said:
Yeah, bit of a shame but I liked our draft overall. I'm not usually one to grab rucks with such high picks but I suspect the club will try and groom him as a Stafford like presence.

How do the three of Oscar Allen, Balta and CCJ compare Bullus. I was initially disappointed we didn't pick Allen at 20 and then I would have assumed CCJ would still be on the board for us at 25. Is Balta a better pick than Allen?

Also we may have walked away with all three if we didn't select Higgins - our main squad has plenty of good to very good smalls - don't get me wrong I think Higgins will be a very good player for us but is he what the squad needs at the moment.

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
year of the tiger said:
How do the three of Oscar Allen, Balta and CCJ compare Bullus. I was initially disappointed we didn't pick Allen at 20 and then I would have assumed CCJ would still be on the board for us at 25. Is Balta a better pick than Allen?

Also we may have walked away with all three if we didn't select Higgins - our main squad has plenty of good to very good smalls - don't get me wrong I think Higgins will be a very good player for us but is he what the squad needs at the moment.

Pure speculation, but stockpiling superb forward smalls who may turn out to be the flavour of the month for a while might be a great strategy for trades in the next couple of years.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
It's still a fair question to ask and one that helps rate our overall draft performance. Did we walk away with the best talls at our disposal.

Surely your not suggesting we use our first pick to stockpile smalls for future ontrading - it would be very hard to get a better return on pick 17 if that was our strategy.

puregreen

Tiger Champion
Dec 6, 2009
I would think that with Higgins being so highly rated that the club would have thought that he would have been well gone by our pick and when he was available had to take him.

Don't know anything about Hayes, but the fact that Jack Graham was also U18 SA captain from the same club as Callum he would have have had a fair bit of intel on Callum's character and capabilities.

Don't mind bringing another interstater from the same area to bond with the current one.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Not a good pick for our small forwards, the ball won't be coming to ground, this bloke just doesn't drop marks ;D

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I hope he's good enough to win himself.

The Stafford call looks apt, and he ticks a lot of boxes for the role he'll play. I've learnt to never get too caught up in pre-draft reputations, so while Allen looked like a good choice as well, we don't know what any of these kids will become.

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
year of the tiger said:
It's still a fair question to ask and one that helps rate our overall draft performance. Did we walk away with the best talls at our disposal.

Surely your not suggesting we use our first pick to stockpile smalls for future ontrading - it would be very hard to get a better return on pick 17 if that was our strategy.

Not necessarily this pick, but we may have others surplus to requirements at the end of next year. No idea. Just having a thought bubble.

Darth Tiger

The Sash is Back
Nov 24, 2004
Victoria
CCJ appears to me as more of a Matt Primus type player. Strong leader with some attributes and some weaknesses that require remediation.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
year of the tiger said:

Like I think Scoop said last night Allen doesn't look like he fits the way we play and our needs.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Darth Tiger said:
CCJ appears to me as more of a Matt Primus type player. Strong leader with some attributes and some weaknesses that require remediation.

Quicker than Primus and looks better up forward.

Interesting pick and I see why we rated him higher than Hayes.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Harry said:
Looks like a proper ruckman. Forget Soldo.

Read he had the second most hit-outs at the Champs and there is no doubting he is a good mark!

Reckon the Stafford comparisons are there but he seems a bit more athletic. Certainly looks like he has a great frame, which will fill-out to be a powerful fella.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
caesar said:
Not a good pick for our small forwards, the ball won't be coming to ground, this bloke just doesn't drop marks ;D
The first vision I saw of him the other day he looked like a concrete statue, however the more I see the more I like, looks genuine Ruck forward to me, kicking appears Hammer like but much more effective

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I know Bullus didnt rate CCJ this high but i like the kid, He has that Tough hard mongrel in him that keeps the other teams players honest
Good size and can play foward with decent athletic ability and presence - Rotating with Nank will work and is a marking beast with leadership and smarts

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
nank will need to double up with a resting ruck for a number of games , for mine its wide open, griff, hammer or if one of these kids can grow a leg , you never know

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
It’s very clear at Richmond. Flexibility is the key.

If you are a tall you are over 194 but capable of playing multiple roles and mobile.

If you are under 194 you are able to apply pressure and play in a quick fast break style.

CCJ fits our mould.

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
Might be just me but on the highlights I thought his longer kicking wasn't to bad when he can kick through but when he does those short passes it looks pretty ordinary. Otherwise looked alright.