Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Getting picked off a lot lately.

hope so, because at the moment it appears we’re getting picked off year after year. From assistant coaches, to fringe players and to now young players.
That's the way the AFL beast works, bottom clubs always undermining the top clubs and usually collapsing *smile* down upon themselves in the process.
Rarely do you see a low club pinching the fringe scraps off the successful clubs then elevating far up the ladder.
Successful clubs usually just build their own strong foundations then meander along n skim an occasional dollop of pure cream from the lower clubs to ensure they can contend for the trophy.

Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Norf had to play Tom Campbell as #2 ruck this year, so weak are their fwd/ruck stocks. Oh, and Tristan Xerri, who should have been Capuanoed during his first game. There is opportunity for CJ. And the money. He's gotta take it.

We take what we can get.

The issue is, we could get nothing. Hoping for pick 20, but it seems to be wishful thinking.

Reactions: 1 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Maybe we should ask for 20 yr old Charlie Comben, a 200cm ruck forward. Been unlucky with injury. pick 31 in the 2019 draft from Gippsland Power.
No chance, he's highly rated at Norf and was earmarked to accompany Larkey as a two pronged KPF combo last season. CCJ I believe will be seen as more of a ruckman at Norf if Comben can get on the park

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Shame. I like CJ and reckon he'll be a good player. Mistake giving games to Chol this year ahead of CJ who's had more than enough chances. Poor call by the MC.

Reactions: 7 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
No chance, he's highly rated at Norf and was earmarked to accompany Larkey as a two pronged KPF combo last season. CCJ I believe will be seen as more of a ruckman at Norf if Comben can get on the park
Yeah, I know, I was just being vengeful.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I love the fact our football club shows loyalty, and totally understand going ahead with the bloke who finished 3rd in the Norm Smith, however I think I’d rather be keeping CJ going forward, but again I love the fact we give “ legends” of our club a choice ( most times) . Problem I see, is now we are going to be most likely going to go through the next few drafts in search of our next Jack , if CJ was to stay it’s not as bigger issue.

BH has been outstanding and has probably made the correct choice again as he would know stuff I don’t ( he is allowed to make a mistake :)) ), however , imho we may have been better of getting CJ signed earlier and waiting for Jack’s signature at seasons end not the other way round. In woffling on with all that I think ( barring injuries) Jack would still contribute more then CJ towards our flag tilt in 22, in saying that I think CJ will have Passed Jack by seasons end , however he will never be more then 75% or 3/4s the player Jack has been.

I probably rate CJ more then others do.

intresting that “ Parrott” didn’t mention CJ, however talked about Taz and Chol :cool:

Last edited:

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
the problem is dynasties are built on culture. you can't really slice guys like Riewoldt ahead of time.

the price you pay, but there are signs we are negotiating this transition period pretty well.

if Chol and CCJ are casualties of a top-heavy list, I'm fine with that. savvy list management and astute recruitment can make up for it, and we all know how good we are in those departments.

FWIW I rate CCJ pretty highly. he'll be a very good player at North.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
the problem is dynasties are built on culture. you can't really slice guys like Riewoldt ahead of time.

the price you pay, but there are signs we are negotiating this transition period pretty well.

if Chol and CCJ are casualties of a top-heavy list, I'm fine with that. savvy list management and astute recruitment can make up for it, and we all know how good we are in those departments.

FWIW I rate CCJ pretty highly. he'll be a very good player at North.
I think we are in agreement

As ridiculous as it sounds Jack’s goals kicked masked his true performance, He’s good games we’re against average direct opponents , ones he would have destroyed 3 years ago , no idea on the money side of things and non game day stuff , however I think I’d prefer to have CJ signed for 3 then Jack for one more , however again as contradictory as it is I love the fact we have stayed loyal to Jack as he has to us

Reactions: 2 users

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
Those commenting on Jack staying on are missing the point. CJ wants to play in the ruck and is third choice behind Nank and Ivan. Don’t think he’d have stayed even if offered regular forward time next year.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Those commenting on Jack staying on are missing the point. CJ wants to play in the ruck and is third choice behind Nank and Ivan. Don’t think he’d have stayed even if offered regular forward time next year.
I reckon the whole 'I wanna ruck' thing is a ruse

he didn't fancy standing in line behind Jack for another year and good luck to him

Reactions: 4 users

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
CCJ will be part Grundy part Ottens, except this kid has natural gunt in him, I believe at North given 22 AFL games development, he will be unbelievable in 2023 as a hybrid Ruck-Forward. i am spewing we cant accomidate, I hope they think Samson Ryan is going to be better...I just worry he has QLD return home written all over him.
Anyways I wont comment anymore on CCJ, I just reckon north have been into him all year, was never staying.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
CCJ will be part Grundy part Ottens, except this kid has natural gunt in him, I believe at North given 22 AFL games development, he will be unbelievable in 2023 as a hybrid Ruck-Forward. i am spewing we cant accomidate, I hope they think Samson Ryan is going to be better...I just worry he has QLD return home written all over him.
Anyways I wont comment anymore on CCJ, I just reckon north have been into him all year, was never staying.
Probably true that #lolnorf have been into him for a while. As said on the Tarrant thread these things don’t take place overnight.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I think our list management team really rate Mate Colina and think in a short space of time he will give us some unique and exciting attributes that CCJ can never give.
CCJ will be a good player but not a game changer. Adequate ruck and reasonable forward but not elite at either. Mate has size, strength and smarts.
Watch this space.
Is this rumour or based on what the list manages have told you?
He has terrific credentials but until your post we have heard literally nothing.

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Letting CCJ go was always about the compensation we receive in return. Anything less than pick 20 will be a poor return.

Reactions: 6 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
CCJ hasn’t really demonstrated any genuine ruck craft yet , nowhere near soldo capability , I accept he may well develop at express with sustained opportunities Grundy otters is a fair stretch. Fwiw Ryan was a keen tigers fan growing up , we ve had great success of holding onto players interstate ones included, CCJ is first for a while , always a danger when players don’t get games, it’s the greatest pre cursor to leaving

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
But we played and relied on just one ruck in 2017 for a flag and in 2018 when we should have, with Grigg as relief. It worked well for us. Only after that PF loss that we changed tack to probably make sure Nank wasn't exhausted and getting too knocked around. Hence Soldo came along in 2019 and became part of each b2b flag side.

However, there might be some games where we can't play both due to injury, or tactically don't want to play 2 slower, heavy-duty rucks. Neither offer much threat down forward. Then CCJ is ideal. Plus JR is going 34 this season; you don't get better; you slow down and are perhaps one injury away from the end. CCJ has the advantage of being able to take his spot, or Lynch's if injured either.

Then, if Jack goes during/after 2022, CCJ slots in ongoing. [Ditto even for Chol even although CCJ should have more upside]. Furthermore, Lynch is too proppy to do any serious rucking on the ball.

I see it as a serious setback for us, especially to lose both of these tall options. Finding and developing another high quality KPF to replace JR8 could take years. CCJ would have possibly done that, at least for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 2 users