Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
He's been a wonderful contributor and an all time great but for me he should have been asked to retire at the end of last year or failing that told he would be only offered base money and would play VFL before CCJ did. Alternatively the club would facilitate a trade for him.

As great as he has been we will have him playing average at best footy for a year or two at the expense of keeping someone who could quite conceivably be in the top forward/rucks for the next decade.

I think CCJ will be a very good player and I will wince slightly whenever he clunks one or kicks a goal.

But I won’t miss him

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
He's been a wonderful contributor and an all time great but for me he should have been asked to retire at the end of last year or failing that told he would be only offered base money and would play VFL before CCJ did. Alternatively the club would facilitate a trade for him.

As great as he has been we will have him playing average at best footy for a year or two at the expense of keeping someone who could quite conceivably be in the top forward/rucks for the next decade.
Reining Premiers who legitimately thought they were a chance to pinch another were never going to retire a champion player like Riewoldt. And rightly so. Jack was not the problem and had a reasonable season. Cotchin much closer to the end but no one is suggesting he took games away from RCD and should have retired.
CCJ’s discipline in the hub caused a lot of his problems getting a game. Granted they could have pulled the trigger on him earlier and moved Jack up the ground once he became available but from what I understand, the kid wants to ruck.
The question we should all be asking ourselves is why did we recruit Sampson Ryan? CCJ had that position covered.
I have no answer for that

Reactions: 2 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004

You can't do that, if we're rolling the dice again. Personally I think our window had closed on a premiership, unless we get very lucky with injury and some of our young brigade lift an exceptional amount. Eg RCD or Ross.
The reason I'm annoyed with CCJ, is compare how he's handled kebab gate to Stack. Stack is grateful for every opportunity and is backing himself to come good. I love the self belief and loyalty - from both club and Stack.
CCJ could have done the same thing. If he really believed in his ability, he'd say I'm going to knock Nank off his perch - not just Soldo. He no doubt was told, prove yourself in 22, and Jack's money is for the taking. But he's piked it. He's not up for the challenge. That leaves a hole in our list, it's 4 years of development sort of down the gurgler (there's some return via the picks). It does put a big dent in our chances for a premiership, as difficult as that was going to be. If Reiwoldt or Lynch get injured, we have no cover.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Maybe we planned to cut our losses all along.
You could very well be correct there.
Uncontracted and not played for games that he could have been suggests they were keeping an open mind on losing him.
End of the day we can cover our losses if Ryan comes good but I personally had high hopes for CCJ.
I’ve seen him take spectacular pack marks and I’ve seen him pick the ball up off his shoe laces.
Our mission now is to hope and prey that he doesn’t make us regret losing him too much and to fast track Ryan Sampson.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Disappointed he's left tbh. Reckon he's got great potential as a ruck forward.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Outside Jack and Lynch, who are tall forwards next year?
This is the elephant in the room, need to get cracking with a succession plan, although might have to wait until there's some decent juniors on the table & we hold a top 10 pick.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
This is the elephant in the room, need to get cracking with a succession plan, although might have to wait until there's some decent juniors on the table & we hold a top 10 pick.
Big elephant imo. With Jack's last year and Lynch's dodgy knee and all

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Don't forget CCJ and his manager let North know that he didn't want to go into the preseason draft knowing that this would help Richmond in negations.

So calling him a traitor and Judas is way off the mark.

In addition one of Lids draft pick lives on to be used again. (the other is Balta)
Isn’t it two picks now? Pick 40 and next year’s pick.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Cheers Bully I got no idea.

Is Amiss that type or would you be inclined leave them both on the table for another high quality mid?
Probably not because I'm more inclined to target the power forwards, Amiss does have some outstanding qualities, he's a superb set shot, very Gunston like. Perhaps not a player type I'd spend a top 10 pick on, but ok value around the twenties. Think we have to play to the draft's strengths and that is undoubtedly midfielders, plenty of depth in that area and our midfield stocks look sickly at the top end. No dramas with Dusty but Cotch & Prestia look like they're on their last legs, Ross doesn't do it for me, Dow looks too outside, RCD promising but lagging in the tank building department. We can fix all of that this year & hopefully find a suitable replacement for Houli.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Probably not because I'm more inclined to target the power forwards, Amiss does have some outstanding qualities, he's a superb set shot, very Gunston like. Perhaps not a player type I'd spend a top 10 pick on, but ok value around the twenties. Think we have to play to the draft's strengths and that is undoubtedly midfielders, plenty of depth in that area and our midfield stocks look sickly at the top end. No dramas with Dusty but Cotch & Prestia look like they're on their last legs, Ross doesn't do it for me, Dow looks too outside, RCD promising but lagging in the tank building department. We can fix all of that this year & hopefully find a suitable replacement for Houli.

Good stuff mate and agree with all except for Prestia. Think he’s still good for a couple of years.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The Deledio trade is the silver bullet.
Deledio traded in 2016 for GWS’s first and third round picks in 2017. The first round pick started life as Geelong’s first rounder, which they traded to Carlton for Zach Tuohy. Carlton then gave it to GWS for Marchbank and Jarrod Pickett. GWS gave it to Richmond for Deledio.

In 2017, the first round pick was split into picks 20 and 25. CCJ and Balta.

Some of the points from the third round pick were used for Naish, along with Richmond’s own third round pick. The leftover points became pick 63, which was used on Miller.

Now the CCJ portion has been combined with two third round picks to net Tarrant, pick 40 and next year’s NM second rounder. One of those third round picks was traded in for Markov.

pick 40 will probably be combined and upgraded.

Therefore, bits of the Deledio trade have helped us net Balta, Miller and Tarrant. CCJ and Naish also but they are both gone.

And there is still one more player to add this year and one more next year.

BTW, I like the way Hartley negotiates. He adds detail and complexity which inevitably causes confusion. I wonder how much energy North expended arguing over including picks 40 and 42 in the trade?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
The Deledio trade is the silver bullet.
Deledio traded in 2016 for GWS’s first and third round picks in 2017. The first round pick started life as Geelong’s first rounder, which they traded to Carlton for Zach Tuohy. Carlton then gave it to GWS for Marchbank and Jarrod Pickett. GWS gave it to Richmond for Deledio.

In 2017, the first round pick was split into picks 20 and 25. CCJ and Balta.

Some of the points from the third round pick were used for Naish, along with Richmond’s own third round pick. The leftover points became pick 63, which was used on Miller.

Now the CCJ portion has been combined with two third round picks to net Tarrant, pick 40 and next year’s NM second rounder. One of those third round picks was traded in for Markov.

pick 40 will probably be combined and upgraded.

Therefore, bits of the Deledio trade have helped us net Balta, Miller and Tarrant. CCJ and Naish also but they are both gone.

And there is still one more player to add this year and one more next year.

BTW, I like the way Hartley negotiates. He adds complexity which inevitably causes confusion. I wonder how much energy North expanded arguing over including picks 40 and 42 in the trade?
My god. How do you sit down and work that one out

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
My god. How do you sit down and work that one out
Google Is your friend.

Just been working in the garden all afternoon and have managed to convince MRS TOT that my back is now sore and I just have to lie on a heat pack for an undisclosed period of time. Number 1 son is bbqing a leg of lamb and MRS TOT even brought me a cuppa.

PRE is the beneficiary. You’re welcome.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 28 users