Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Callum Coleman-Judas - extricate yourself to Nth Ballarat, you git

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
He's been a wonderful contributor and an all time great but for me he should have been asked to retire at the end of last year or failing that told he would be only offered base money and would play VFL before CCJ did. Alternatively the club would facilitate a trade for him.

As great as he has been we will have him playing average at best footy for a year or two at the expense of keeping someone who could quite conceivably be in the top forward/rucks for the next decade.
Played every game last year's premiership and again this year, finished this season third or fourth in the Coleman in a season where for a host of reasons the Tigers were crap. Obviously grandfather time will catch up to him sooner than later, but you never disrespect your champions by chucking them in the bargain basement bin, or pushing them out the door.
Cujo may potentially be a very good player, but potential still has to earn it's position and Cujo obviously wasn't that keen on the forward position, the length of contract or the money he was being offered for the potential he'd barely begun to show. So he can try n build a career n earn his keep at the bottom club in the comp.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
I lean towards this thinking.
We lowballed him for a reason. Clubs just don't allow players they really want to keep to explore their options. Especially talls with 4 years in the system. To Norf?
He may go on to become a great player but there are plenty of question marks.
Will watch his development closely from here.
Plenty of great players in *smile* teams that never achieve much other than being a lub champ, got a feeling that's CCJ's future. Up until 2017 we had a few!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The question we should all be asking ourselves is why did we recruit Sampson Ryan? CCJ had that position covered.
I have no answer for that
Got a feeling that Cujo was simply a matter of wrong place wrong time for us, or we simply considered him more as a forward replacement for Jaaack.
Next year
Nank 28 yo
Soldo 26 yo
Cujo 23 yo
Delilah 21 yo, listed on the club site as a key forward, maybe he slots in behind Jaaack after next year?

Don't think the club was real sure about how Soldo would progress when we first drafted Cujo so would have been trying to cover all bases by having Cholly and Cujo both developing as ruck / forwards as well.
With Cujo n Cholly both leaving it allows Delilah another couple of years to develop ruck capabilities, then slot in behind Soldo as Nank tapers out. Both Cujo n Cholly would be at the point right now where they want to be stepping towards the main player role not third or fourth in the pecking order.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
I lean towards this thinking.
We lowballed him for a reason. Clubs just don't allow players they really want to keep to explore their options. Especially talls with 4 years in the system. To Norf?
He may go on to become a great player but there are plenty of question marks.
Will watch his development closely from here.
CCJ Would have spent a lot of time with his ‘special teams’ coach Richmond Man Maric.
If Maric is prepared to let CCJ go, think I will back his judgement.

Reactions: 3 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Agree Bullus.

Unlike you - and you are the expert so defer to you - I'm not even sure about RCD. Neither Ross, nor Dow as centre mids will get us too far. Cotch and Prestia (who's been undervalued outside our club I reckon for what he has brought to the team) replacements are badly needed. No one can like for like replace either of course given their talent, but we gotta start. That's why I hope we can at least get Ward to replace Prestia, not at 7 I dont think but here's hoping.
Ward would be perfect for our current situation but even if we don't manage to cut a deal then a guy like Sonsie would be a nice Prestia replacement.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
First it's "we need him as a former high pick and a replacement big man for JR", then it's "he owes us because of kebabgate". then "North are low-balling us on the pick".

Now it's "well there were question marks over him anyway so we low-balled him".

Sour grapes much?

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
First it's "we need him as a former high pick and a replacement big man for JR", then it's "he owes us because of kebabgate". then "North are low-balling us on the pick".

Now it's "well there were question marks over him anyway so we low-balled him".

Sour grapes much?
Posters seem to have trouble accepting that a player simply wants to play at another club in preference to the RFC

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Posters seem to have trouble accepting that a player simply wants to play at another club in preference to the RFC
Yeah, it's got a bit of Ottens in this one although he was already an established best 22 player. It's gonna be sad to see one of our great potentials succeed at another club.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Yep the five stages of grief in full effect.

I mean people were seriously suggesting "we can just get him to change his mind if we want". Never gonna happen, and it didn't.

And we ended up doing OK out of the deal.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yeah, it's got a bit of Ottens in this one although he was already an established best 22 player. It's gonna be sad to see one of our great potentials succeed at another club.
I think CCJ is a promising type but he is not in the same stratosphere as Ottens was when he went to Geelong. Ottens was already an established top liner and an AA.

Reactions: 3 users

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
Lol mentioning Ottens and CJ in the same sentence is farcical. CJ hopefully will establish himself as a shorter version of Mason Cox!

Listening to Brady Rawlings they think they’ve landed the next Max Gawn. Such a barnacle club.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
CCJ's looked better as a forward than a ruck. He's tall but isnt exceptional at getting off the ground.

From my observations, he seems to read the ball well as a forward, but looked rather underwhelming as a ruckman. If he's the number 1 focus as a forward, his lack of speed to catch a break on a defender will mean he will have to be elite as a contested mark to stamp himself as a key forward.I think in the long term, as far as being a ruck is concerned, his best value would likely be around the ground.

Sampson Ryan on the other hand can get off the ground, is agile and seemed to perform extremely well againat a seasond ruck opponent in one game this year where he was required to ruck all day. His ability in the ruvk that day was to be able t oget off the ground and out reach a much stronger opponent. I really like what i see with Sampson Ryan.

Having said that. i'm not too pleased at losing CCJ. The hope now is we draft something rather handy with the picks we've got and the likes of Soldo, Ryan and Colina eventually make CCJ look surplus to needs.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Gee some of these comments are pretty harsh. To be fair him and his manager insisted that he didn’t go through the PSD as he wanted the Tigers to be fairly compensated. Worse case scenario we would of got nothing for CJ and lost the Chol compo by North not trading Tarrant so we have done incredibly well.

Football forums bring out the worst in people sometimes.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Lol mentioning Ottens and CJ in the same sentence is farcical. CJ hopefully will establish himself as a shorter version of Mason Cox!

Listening to Brady Rawlings they think they’ve landed the next Max Gawn. Such a barnacle club.

The only things Ottens and Judas Jones have in common is they‘re from SA, 200cm and dumb as dog *smile*