Cameron primed for final fling | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cameron primed for final fling

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au
3:05:56 PM Tue 4 February, 2003

Richmond veteran Leon Cameron has hinted that 2003 may well be his AFL swansong and he is determined to go out on top.

Cameron, who began his career with the Western Bulldogs way back in 1990, was one of several Richmond players to perform well below expectations last year as the Tigers slumped from 3rd in 2001 to 14th in 2002.

After finishing third in the club's best and fairest in 2001 - 30-year-old Cameron battled knee and calf problems last year and his form suffered so much that there was widespread speculation he would retire.

Even his normal magnificent kicking off both sides of the body deserted him, and Cameron knows he has much to prove in 2003 when he saddles up for his 14th AFL season.

"I definitely feel I've got plenty to prove this year," Cameron told afl.com.au on the first day of the Tigers' training camp in the Victorian country town of Traralgon.

"I want to go out personally on a good note if it is my last year this year."

However the word around the Tigers' training camp is that Cameron has been one of the most impressive players on the track throughout the pre-season as he puts his injury problems of last year behind him.

"I'm travelling along okay but a lot better than this time last year," the veteran defender said.

"I had a lot of knee problems last year and didn't start running for a while but this year I have had a full pre-season so hopefully I can put it into fruition on game day."

Cameron admitted throughout 2002 he thought his AFL days may have been over as his form struggled and the Tigers - to put it in Cameron's own words "dropped off the face of the earth."

"The way I was going I thought it was (my last year in 2002)," he said.

"But I built myself up to have a good pre-season and I have so far and I thought - bugger it, I want to finish on a good note."

"So I will get to the end of the year and make a decision on whether I finish footy and I want to go out on a good note, and hopefully the Tigers will have gone out on the best note possible and gone all the way."

And no-one would deserve a fairytale finish to their career more than Cameron, who not only has been a model of consistency and professionalism throughout his long career but has the unlucky distinction of having played in four losing preliminary finals (three with the Bulldogs and one with Richmond) without making it to a grand final.

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
I'm not complaining but what's with all the tiger releases today.

We sure did miss his silky skills off half back last year. Glad to see he's over that calf injury as those type of injuries seriously affect a player's kicking action in terms of extension, power and follow through.

Have a big one, Leon :). What a way to go out - on a premiership ;D.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Im primed for a final fling too. I'd better go back to sharpening my membership cards for another expected debacle :'(

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Im primed for a final fling too. I'd better go back to sharpening my membership cards for another expected debacle :'(

So I am fair to assume Diggles that you wont be bidding for Leon's jumper that's up for auction on E-bay  ;)

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003

So, what happens Diggler when Richmond becomes 'a good team' or even 'a great team'? (It won't happen over night, but it will happen 8)). Will you cut up your membership and return it to the Club at regular intervals throughout the season, just out of habit, or in memory of the "good old bad days"?

Just curious. ;D

mellowyellow

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002

Well who's the 1 that spent .......how much was it??

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
Don't talk to soon Mellowyellow.

We wont have a football team soon.

Some will be in jail, others will have injuries from pub brawls, and the rest will be in AA.

Anymore of this crap and I will be asking for a refund.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
Don't talk to soon Mellowyellow.

We wont have a football team soon.

Some will be in jail, others will have injuries from pub brawls, and the rest will be in AA.

Anymore of this crap and I will be asking for a refund.  
if you think our side is crap etc why buy a membership in the 1st place ya twirp ::)

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
I am too tiring of our club being in the news for all the wrong reasons. I support the club through thick and thin, but I will say we will never have success with Frawley as coach and the remaining loser parade that have been there 7 - 10 years are finally gone from the club.