Candidates flyers | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Candidates flyers

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
These are the only three flyers we have available so far.
If anyone can copy the other candidates flyers onto this thread it would be greatly appreciated.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
John Mathies

JOHN MATHIES

John Mathies is a Melbourne lawyer and investor aged 52 married three children (all Richmond supporters) and has been a life long passionate Richmond supporter. I have been a member of Richmond coterie groups since 1983 and am currently a member of Jack's club. My Father Keith, has similarly been a fanatical supporter since 1931.

I founded the Collins Street law firm of John Mathies & Co in 1975 and am currently senior partner. I have been a director of a number of publicly listed and private companies and currently have a direct interest in companies involved in mortgage finance, aged care, property development and investment and primary production.

I have been fortunate enough to be present at each of Richmond’s five premierships during my lifetime mainly 1967,1969,1973,1974,1980.

I played cricket at both Hawthorn-East Melbourne and Northcote cricket clubs in late 1960s and early 70s and am currently a member of board of directors of board of director of Werribee Park Equestrian center and other Equestrian sport related boards.

I decided to nominate for the board of Richmond Football Club following prompting from a number of influential supporters and dissatisfaction with the Club’s performance over the last twenty years and believe I have the necessary successful business and financial acumen and experience plus necessary sporting background with a passion for the Richmond Football Club and the proven ability to focus to enable me to be of assistance to our Club.

The Club has over the last 20 years developed a culture where mediocrity has been accepted. From the playing perspective we have been the worst performed club in the VFL/AFL, which has not been assisted by our recruiting which has been amongst the worst in the competition with many of our draft choices not able to perform at the top level.

In my opinion recruiting determines the success or failure of a club and whilst the addition of Greg Miller last season has been extremely beneficial I believe we should endeavour to recruit "recruiters" to the club who have displayed a consistent ability (notwithstanding the restrictions of the draft) to identify players who are able to perform at an elite level.

To achieve success you need to be associated with successful people. Success is contagious. Unfortunately at Richmond we have not in the recent past pursued this policy. Interestingly all of Richmond’s ten premierships have been achieved whilst coached by people with a Richmond Football Club background.

It is also of interest that two of the most successful Victorian based clubs Essendon and Collingwood employ a number of former Richmond personnel who not only experienced success at our club but have achieved considerable further success at both Essendon and Collingwood. I refer to Kevin Sheedy and Noel Judkins at Essendon (Noel son of R.F.C. Brownlow Medallist, Stan and former Richmond under 19 player and gun recruiter) who recruited many premiership players to Essendon and in recent years recruited many of Collingwood's current players. Neil Balme, football manager at Collingwood and of course their coach Mick Malthouse

The time has come for the Richmond Football Club to deliver and whilst with the appointments of Ian Campbell and Greg Miller, Clinton Casey and the current board are heading in the right direction. I believe with my attributes I will be able to assist in our aim to return our Club to its rightful position as a force to be reckoned with in AFL football.

(Any accidental typos or mistakes in this article should be credited to PRE typing skills rather than the original author.)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
David Clayton

DAVID CLAYTON

'It’s Time to have your say in our club’s future.'

Why your vote as a Richmond Football Club member is important!
Our club is at the crossroads. Now is the time for RFC members to elect the board they believe can give
it a successful and secure future. I believe you should vote because:

1) Democracy means a better football club – the Directors of the Richmond Football Club are there on
your behalf. They should have your direct endorsement and support to perform their duties.

2) Passion – if you care enough to become a Richmond member, please care enough about the club to
evaluate all of the candidates and vote accordingly. By not voting you may give the impression that
members don’t really care, and people may make decisions for you on that basis.

3) Involvement – this is how members can directly influence our football club’s direction. By voting you
will have your say on where our football club is heading.

Even if you don’t vote for me, please consider voting for at least one of the candidates that you
consider deserves it.

Who am I? What do I stand for?
My name is David Clayton. As a Richmond supporter and long time member (every year since 1974) I have nominated for election to the board.
I have been a club volunteer in a few roles (mainly helping with memberships at the start of each season) continuously since 1985, and I have been able to observe the club from a perspective not available to most supporters. It is my belief that the club needs to make some fundamental changes to build on the work done so far, and as part of this I believe a board election should be held to give you an opportunity to directly participate in these changes.

My professional background is in Information Technology; I have worked in that area since the 1980s and
obtained a Graduate Diploma in Computing in 1993 at Monash University. I have had a varied range of roles in my career and I believe that technology is just a means to an end rather than an end in itself.
I also don’t mind “getting my hands dirty” to achieve an aim, (as those thousands of people that have personally purchased Richmond membership tickets from me in the last 19 years can confirm), and I think that these skills can also be of use at board level.

I am the sort of supporter who will be at every Melbourne match that the Tigers play in, as well as a few
interstate games each season (personal finances permitting). I have been around long enough to have
stood in queues well before 11AM at all the old VFL venues. I buy the same membership tickets as most
other members, and I sit in the same seating areas as most of our supporters. I have been a member of
groups such as “Ton Up” in the past, but I don’t have a lot of experience watching football from corporate
boxes or other such areas.

The issues
I believe that a board of directors would be most effective with a mix of various skills and backgrounds to
provide a direct injection of various viewpoints at board level, rather than have some of those views
presented to the board indirectly.
The board should ideally include people with expertise in the club’s various activities, as well as a direct
understanding of the various areas that the club is involved in. The mix should ideally cover the following
vital areas:

1) Football experience, (playing, coaching, player administration).

2) Business experience, (management at various levels, financial expertise).

3) Entertainment experience, (promotion, marketing).

4) Supporter/member experience, (ongoing direct contact and understanding of member aspirations and other issues).

I contend that the boards of directors over recent years have had skills in some of these areas at one time or another, with some particularly talented people able to contribute effectively in some of these areas, but
have not had a consistent and balanced mix of these skills to ensure that the best possible decisions are
made to benefit the club.

To use a simplified football analogy, while you may be a better team on the field with a “qualified” full
forward, you won’t be very effective if you have a team full of full forwards – balance and diversity are the
keys to creating a strong team.

I have seen our club do many things over the years that have improved the RFC and benefited many areas.
I have also seen it do things which have set us back. I believe that we have had (and currently do have)
good people involved in the club who, as individuals, have helped it considerably. But when these people
leave we haven’t always been able to continue their good work.

I believe we, as a club, need to come up with policies to ensure that our direction is less dependent on any individual, and that the overall direction is always for long-term benefit. This policy needs to be applied to all areas of the club, as sometimes we seem to forget that we are all part of one larger entity where decisions made in one area can affect other areas of the club.

If elected to the board, I would provide a direct member and supporter perspective with the primary aim of
improving our club’s membership base. I would work towards having the club treat its current members
appropriately every year, as well as increasing the number of Richmond members and supporters to a level
that will ensure the club’s long-term future.
Some of my initial aims would be to:

1) Commit to boosting the number of junior Tiger supporters to provide an ongoing base of new
members for the future

2) Promote the club to untapped markets such as new arrivals to Melbourne, tourists etc.

3) Begin a project to increase the number of country and interstate members by 500% over the next
5 years. This market is largely untapped by Richmond. We need at least the same commitment
as other AFL clubs like Essendon to bring Richmond "up to speed".

4) Offer sponsorship packages tailored to members and supporter groups outside Melbourne to
provide greater value than now exists.

5) Offer free Level 1 seats at Docklands home games for Richmond members over 55 (not
everybody can manage to climb to the top level there).

6) Significantly increase the resources given to the club’s Historical Society, and promote its role
and value to all areas of the club.

7) Further encourage and support all former players and officials to retain links with RFC, and use
this potentially valuable resource to improve the club.

8) Investigate a possible remuneration boost for the football department’s
trainers/masseurs/property staff to better reflect and reward the efforts and value that they
deliver to the club.

9) Investigate the possibility of partnerships with food and drink vendors at our home ground
venues to save Richmond members money.

10) Reduce the excessive cost of our “Away” game Adult membership ticket to offer real value to
Richmond members.

11) Maintain as much contact as possible with the members, and better communicate our issues at
board level. I am quite willing for the members to use me as their “voice” when needed.

These are just some of the things that I believe would benefit the club, but it should give you an idea of how I would approach issues as a board member and hopefully let you determine if I deserve your vote.

For those of you with Internet access, I have more information on a website that I have set up for this
election. You can find it at www.rfc-election.tk and I encourage you to visit it.

Thank you for reading this to the end, also a very big thank you to the other Richmond supporters who have answered my request for assistance in printing this document and so generously donated their time and resources in doing it. Without them you wouldn’t have this to read! “Carn’ the Tigers” in 2004!

David Clayton.

Copied from Rhettrospective with thanks.

http://www.rhettrospective.com/rhett_column_rhett.htm

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Jim Giannopoulos

JIM GIANNOPOULOS

“A Change of Blood” for the RFC board

Dear fellow member,

My name is Jim Giannopoulos and I am seeking your support for election to the Richmond Football Club Board (RFC). With a background in finance and management and currently employed with a large multi-national organisation, I believe I could bring some fresh new ideas, passion and corporate sponsorship into the RFC and move the club forward.

So what do I stand for?

Working with the Board, some of my policies include:

1) Bringing into the club corporate opportunities to increase our revenue base, and turn around our financial position.

2) Reviewing the current membership program to identify areas for growth and improvement for our members Target: 35,000 members within 3 years.

3) Boosting junior memberships through targeted programs such as school visits.

4) Identification of our member’s needs through open forums and questionnaires to identify how the RFC can match those needs i.e., membership requirements

5) Identify areas where we can invest for long term investment growth i.e., non-football commercial investments and corporate sponsorship.

6) Regular opportunities for members and supporters to have contact with board members during the season to solicit your feedback, as well as the encouragement of past player/official links with the club.

IT’S TIME FOR A CHANGE – YOUR SUPPORT CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!

Looking forward to catching up with you throughout the season.

Regards
Jim Giannopoulos

http://www.rhettrospective.com/rhett_column_rhett.htm

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Jason Verstak

VOTE A SUPPORTERFOR THE SUPPORTERS!

Name:
Jason Verstak

National Marketing Manager - First National RE
Silver Member Richmond Football Club

Reason for Candidacy:
'I do not want to see us in the position of being an endangered species again!'

For many years now, I have sat on the Richmond Football Club's roller coaster of success and
failure. The peaks of watching my beloved Tigers win a flag in 1980 to Duncan Kellaway's first goal, and the troughs of the late 80' s and early 90' s where Richmond was seen as a stepping stone for other clubs to develop and those very close days of becoming an endangered species within the AFL. Through it all I have sat in the stands cheering and barracking, hoping we can all soon relive the days of that September in 1980.

My name is Jason Verstak. I have been a Richmond Member and Social Club Member for many years and a supporter all of my life. I am not an ex-player nor am I a wealthy businessman. I am one of you who each week sits at the football games and supports the Tigers through rain, hail or shine and feel that this club has the potential to be one of, if not the strongest club within the AFL.

Personally, the problem I see within Richmond is its inconsistencies on and off the field. A vote for me will ensure that a supporter who sits in the outer each week has the power to assist in the continual growth of the Richmond Football Club, encouraging a stronger membership base and thus financial stability for years to come.

Easily said, but how will this be achieved? Let's start by concentrating on retaining members such as you and growing our membership base. As we all know, Richmond supporters are out there and they just need to be convinced to come in and buy a membership. Implementing membership strategies such as providing members with that "extra something" would act to both encourage growth of new members and provide incentive for existing members to retain their membership.

Given the opportunity to be the voice of the loyal members of the Richmond Football Club, 1 will ensure that the accountabilities on and off the field for lagging performance are constantly addressed.

The current Board of Directors and the Senior Management team at the Richmond Football Club have started this ball rolling. However, the strategies need to be stepped up a gear in order to ensure we fight for growth and consistent club financial stability within the league.

A VOTE FOR JASON VERSTAK WILL BE A VOTE FOR A SUPPORTERS VOICE ON THE BOARD.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
GARY MARCH

CURRICULUM VITAE - GARY MARCH

PERSONAL DETAILS
Date of Birth:
Marital Status:
03/12/1960
Married to Beverley with 2 sons.

-= - -= PROFESSIONAL PROFILE -= - = -= -= -
1991 to Current
Concept Sports
International Ply Ltd
Position: CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
-=
(Incorporating
Concept Sports
Incorporated
USA)

Concept Sports was founded by Gary March in 1991 and quickly established itself as a
supplier of quality-licensed merchandise and as Australia's leading event retailer. Over the
period of its existence CSI has represented brands such as Ferrari, Wallabies, Cricket
Australia, Western Bulldogs FC, Richmond FC, North Queensland Cowboys. NBA, MLB,
Australian Open and holds key accounts with Myer David Jones, Rebel Sport and K-Mart.

As an event retailer, CSI reputation is unsurpassed, having represented nearly all leading
sporting bodies and events in Australia in the past 10 years. The highlight for CSI was the
awarding of the exclusive on-site rights for the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games and
subsequently the Salt Lake 2000 Winter Olympic Games, which saw the establishment of
the US branch of CSI. Now firmly entrenched as the leading event retailer in the world CSI
has recently been awarded the contract for Athens 2004 Olympic Games and Euro 2004.

I am seeking re-election to the Richmond Football Club Board at the upcoming election.

I am a recent new-comer to the Richmond Board having filled the casual vacancy created only eighteen (18) months ago by the resignation of Herb Elliott.

I am proud of my contribution to the Board and our Club in this short time. I was asked by the Board to be involved as a member of the sub-committee to select our new CEO and to restructure the marketing department. I believe tile decisions thee Board has made in the short period I have been a Director has set the foundation for success.

My professional experience has also allowed me to provide assistance to the Club in negotiations with new apparel and footwear sponsorships. Having built my own business from scratch twelve (12) years ago to one that competes successfully on a world stage, I believe that I can continue to make a strong contribution at Board level.

I am a lifelong member with my parents first signing me up as a youngster in the late 1960's at the time of our glorious Premiership run. My family's passion for Richmond nuns deep and I believe this passion together With my professionalism can return the Tigers to a position of power.

I believe that my contribution to the Tigers has only just begun.

I am seeking your support to return me to the Board of our great Club so that I can finish the job I started only eighteen (18) months ago.

-Gary March
Page 1 of 1

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Peter Welsh

PETER WELSH
PERSONAL DETAILS:
Date of Birth: January 24, 1954

Marital Status: Married with 2 children

FOOTBALL EXPERIENCE
Hawthorn FC 80 games 1973 -1978 -
-Richmond FC . 45 games
Member of 1980 Premiership Team
Member of 1982 Grand Final Team
1980 -1984
Coach Richmond Reserves 1986 -1987
Richmond FC Life Member 2003
---/ ---
I am seeking your support for re-election to the Richmond Football Club Board at the
upcoming election.

With your support, I believe I can continue to represent the needs of our members and
supporters and contribute to the on-going development of the Richmond Football Club
and our ultimate goal of premiership success.

Football Knowledge &Experience
In my role as Football Director, I can offer first hand experience on playing and coaching issues.

I was fortunate enough to play 125 senior VFL games - 45 of them in the mighty Yellow
and Black - together with a similar number of reserve matches in a career spanning
eleven (11) seasons.

I was privileged to be a member of the 1980 Premiership team and I know what it takes
to climb the mountain on the last Saturday in September. I remain committed and
determined to help our great Club scale those heights again.

Enthusiasm, Energy, Effectiveness
I believe I bring enthusiasm, energy and passion to the Richmond FC Board but
importantly balance these with the understanding that the Directors of any business
need to be effective.

As a player I prided myself on putting the Club and the team first. I believe that our Club
needs stability, a steady hand and team players all pulling in the same direction if we are
to climb back to the top of the mountain.

I hope you share this vision and I hope I can count on your support.
-Peter Welsh

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Stuart Lawrence

"Make a difference and vote for change".

Name: Stuart Lawrence
Qualifications: Sa. Elec. Eng, Grad. Dip. Comp
Experience:
Founder & Managing Director Sitech Associates pty Ltd
Strengths: Analytical, innovative, Go to Guy
Favourite Expression:
"Never let anyone tell you it cannot be done."

Dear Richmond Membership,
It's that time again, when people take time to reflect and select board members at
RFC. It will be a hard choice for those seriously considering who should represent
Richmond at the highest levels. You don't really know who you are voting for, nor
understand the contribution and impact they will have on the club.

Why, 1 am 1 here?
I'm too old to be a player and I cannot tolerate being non-competitive.

What will 1 do?
Represent the voice of the people. I often hear that the board is not representative
of what the membership wants. Many feel, as I do, their voice is not heard. I want
to see a more consultative approach, with board and members exchanging ideas
and making changes that matter. We have the technology, lets use it, some can
use the web, others the post.

I would also like us to create a management infrastructure that leverages Business
Intelligence information. This type of information system tracks what managers do
and their knowledge. One of my goals is the long-term success for RFe. To achieve
this we need to retain knowledge because when managers leave, organisations often lose the "know how". Keeping this information is vital. In effect
creating "Worlds Best practice" methodologies, processes and procedures.

How will 1 do it?
Youthful and aggressive direction & management.
I have been dealing with leading management teams and global enterprise
organisations. Coke Cola, Visy Industries, Ford Motor Company to name a few.
These companies have aggressive management styles and are leaders in their
respective markets. They make quick decisions and change rapidly to suit market
conditions. I want to bring this style to RFC, adding that competitive edge.

Who the hell am I?
I'm the local boy. Raised and lived in Richmond for over 30's, tiger tough. Played
local football for the Richmond Junior Football Club and Richmond Amateur Fe.
Uncle's captained North Melbourne (VFL) in the 50's. Founder & Managing Director
Of Sitech Associates (a leading software and business systems design company).
Studied Engineering at Swinburne Uni. Happily married with my new son. Gold RFC
member & life long supporter. Enjoy going to the footy with the boys.

Summary: .
I want every level of management at the RFC to strive for excellence. Complacency and apathy are our worst enemy. It's a good time for RFC to re-evaluate its operation, considering the performance of the team has gone backwards. We need fresh minds with new ideas to re-invent ourselves and set the foundations in place for not just a single victory, but an era of success.

“Make a difference and vote for a change”. Author Stuart Lawrence.

jackstar

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 5, 2003
They are all going to wave there magic wande and fix all the problems over night. ha
They are all going to increase membership, heard that before. How ?
Only way to increase membership is to start winning a few games.
You dont need a Uni degree or be in charge of some corporate company you bunch of wankers , fair dinkum.
I am sick of hearing how people are going to do this and do that for the Richmond football club.
Western Bulldogs made they finals a few years ago with a poor list, no members but played with a bit of heart.
I dont really care if we have 15,000 or 30,000 members. as long as we perform on the field.
Most of the people who are standing are fair dinkum glory seekers.
Too many ""Johnny come latelys for my liking""