Captain(s) watch | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Captain(s) watch

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Nankervis got better as the game went on tonight and ended up being fairly solid. But his first half was pretty bad. He’s been generally bad since he was made co-captain. Undersized in ruck, gives away frees, uncharacteristic skill errors.

Grimes had a strange year last year. Shot the lights out in a handful of games with his defensive marking but was off in most games. Like Nankervis, hasn’t fired much of a shot since he was made captain. Was awful tonight.

The truth is our captains aren’t that good anymore. That’s gotta have a trickle down effect on the team.

In hindsight, a mistake to promote two blokes past their best years.

Reactions: 1 user

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

But concerning signs tonight.

I hope Soldo gets a gig soon.

Grimes without Tarrant and broad looked uncharacteristically shaky

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.

But concerning signs tonight.

I hope Soldo gets a gig soon.

Grimes without Tarrant and broad looked uncharacteristically shaky
Both captains have been average for a while now

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Nankervis got better as the game went on tonight and ended up being fairly solid. But his first half was pretty bad. He’s been generally bad since he was made co-captain. Undersized in ruck, gives away frees, uncharacteristic skill errors.

Grimes had a strange year last year. Shot the lights out in a handful of games with his defensive marking but was off in most games. Like Nankervis, hasn’t fired much of a shot since he was made captain. Was awful tonight.

The truth is our captains aren’t that good anymore. That’s gotta have a trickle down effect on the team.

In hindsight, a mistake to promote two blokes past their best years.

You didn't need hindsight to know cocaptains is a terrible idea and never works.

That aside, we do have a problem. A big rucking problem.

Nank has always been undersized, but has been a battering ram in the centre. Until last year, he was also an around the ground presence. Using the ball well by foot through the middle, getting involved in transition, a tall get out option down the line, intercept marks in defence and the odd goal.

He was never a good tap ruckman, but was such a presence between the arcs it didn't matter. He does none of that anymore. He is a non event around the ground. And a liability in the ruck. Even when he gets a clear tap, it's often to oppo advantage. Worse though, he gets clearly beaten by his opponent. At minimum, we need a ruckman who can nullify. Sampson was much more effective in the centre today. Even Pickett gave us another dimension. The shadow of Soldo looms large.

Another point is that we have largely corrected our midfield issues. You simply don't get a much better midfield group than Prestia, Bolton, Taranto, Hopper supported by Cotchy, Martin, Graham. Yes, some are past their best, but that's a lot of A grade. More than most get. And we still look weak at clearances. The microscope has to turn to the ruck.

I'm less concerned about Grimes who will look better with Tarrant, Gibcus, Broad as support options. Our backline has largely stood up. Though that's mostly due to Balta's development.

tiger3000

Tiger Cub
Apr 11, 2011
My problem with nank being captain (apart from that he appears to be over-trying which actually has the negative effect) is - would soldo be better in the ruck? Dunno and probably won't find out, as the captain isn't going to be dropped and we wont (and likely shouldn't) play 2 full time rucks

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Yeah, the problem tonight was our captains. Jesus Christ! Contested ball was the issue. Grimes was ordinary but it was a tough night for defenders. Round 3 people. We are in a semi re build. Can’t win the flag every year.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Yeah, the problem tonight was our captains. Jesus Christ! Contested ball was the issue. Grimes was ordinary but it was a tough night for defenders. Round 3 people. We are in a semi re build. Can’t win the flag every year.
Ah but nobody said that.

They have been poor for a while and are a definite watch.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Ah but nobody said that.

They have been poor for a while and are a definite watch.
Working tere way into the roll though. I think if we were still genuine contenders, cotch would still be our man.

realtiger

Tiger Rookie
Jun 28, 2007
You didn't need hindsight to know cocaptains is a terrible idea and never works.

That aside, we do have a problem. A big rucking problem.

Nank has always been undersized, but has been a battering ram in the centre. Until last year, he was also an around the ground presence. Using the ball well by foot through the middle, getting involved in transition, a tall get out option down the line, intercept marks in defence and the odd goal.

He was never a good tap ruckman, but was such a presence between the arcs it didn't matter. He does none of that anymore. He is a non event around the ground. And a liability in the ruck. Even when he gets a clear tap, it's often to oppo advantage. Worse though, he gets clearly beaten by his opponent. At minimum, we need a ruckman who can nullify. Sampson was much more effective in the centre today. Even Pickett gave us another dimension. The shadow of Soldo looms large.

Another point is that we have largely corrected our midfield issues. You simply don't get a much better midfield group than Prestia, Bolton, Taranto, Hopper supported by Cotchy, Martin, Graham. Yes, some are past their best, but that's a lot of A grade. More than most get. And we still look weak at clearances. The microscope has to turn to the ruck.

I'm less concerned about Grimes who will look better with Tarrant, Gibcus, Broad as support options. Our backline has largely stood up. Though that's mostly due to Balta's development.
Just a pathetic comment really!!

Nank - 20 disposals , 39 Hitouts , 7 tackles, 11 contested possessions, 7 clearances

And it’s round 3 !!

Some of you are so quick to criticise and you probably don’t get of the couch - SMFH

Reactions: 1 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

Nank - 20 disposals , 39 Hitouts , 7 tackles, 11 contested possessions, 7 clearances

And it’s round 3 !!

Some of you are so quick to criticise and you probably don’t get of the couch - SMFH
No, you need to provide more context than that

Nank built into the game but his first half was poor. Damage had already been done by half time.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Cotch was great tonight, I thought. Out of interest, who would you make captain? I personally would have been happy with Lynch.
I think Lynch should’ve been made captain last year but it’s probably too late for him now.

Someone like a Graham, Baker Taranto or Rioli for now before the next crop comes through and we can look at Gibcus, Clarke, Ryan, etc

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012

And it’s round 3 !!

Yeah, and he was really poor.

He has been a legend. His will is there. But he is ineffective at best.

He has also been playing this way for 18 months.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Captaincy does not make you play any better or any worse. Another knee jerk reaction on PRE.

Reactions: 1 user