Captaincy (poll) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Captaincy (poll)

Who's going to be captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
As much as I'd love Dustin to prove to the rest of the football world what a great leader he's become, l can't see him ever put his hand up to do it.... Anyway, if it ain't broke don't fix it!
I too went for Lambert, for what he's achieved through hard work, dedication, persistence and his willingness to sacrifice for the team.
I have no idea what he's like as a bloke, but he appears respectful, humble, grateful and loved by his teammates.
That's enough for me.
edit.... imagine his first game as skipper.... "Hey Blues.... remember me?"

Read somewhere a few years ago (im sure i will get the details wrong but the message is the same) that after a game when Lambo was injured one of the RFC ladies took him to hospital to get a scan, i think from memory he had broken ribs and a punctured lung (could be wrong but it wasnt a scratch), when they arrived he sat down but got straight up profusely apologizing to the RFC female employee... Thats the sort of bloke he is, an absolute ripper!!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Only those inside the 4 walls will know what each player brings.

But as an outsider looking in, I go with Nank.

Blokes a warrior, wont stand for any sh!t.

Our lads would walk taller with him as their leader.

Durability the only question mark.

Reactions: 1 users

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
I also voted for Kane Lambert.
I think he’d make an excellent captain:
Triple premiership player, will lead by example on field
Interviews really well, seems composed so should handle the off field stuff (big part of the job)
His teammates love him (Francis Bourke award 2020, voted by his peers)
And he comes from Preston (if in doubt go for the bloke from Preston, he won’t let you down)

(I’d also be happy with Grimesy or Lynch. Don’t want Dusty to have the extra pressure on him.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Do we go with the year-by-year thing while we resettle? Or do we give say, Flossy a few years?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Whoever gets it I would like to see them captain for a few years. Stability is a good thing to have in a captain.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Only those inside the 4 walls will know what each player brings.

But as an outsider looking in, I go with Nank.

Blokes a warrior, wont stand for any sh!t.

Our lads would walk taller with him as their leader.

Durability the only question mark.

I was on Nank early and wouldn't be offended if he got it. But, the two scratches on him are his ability to string a season together and his persona/profile in the media.

On Lambert. While a character of the highest order, his game is based on endurance and he is nearly 31. If his endurance drops off I dont think he can sustain himself as an AFL player. That concerns me.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Ultimately I think if Dusty wants it, it's his.

Assuming he doesn't then I'd go for Lynch., Experienced AFL Captain and doesn't take much *smile*, Can lead by example as we saw in 2019 when he pretty much held the forward line together on his own in his first year after missing a lot of pre-season due to injury.

Lambert would be a good choice just to rub more salt in the festering Carlton wound.

Graham too early. Flossy has been heir appaqrent for a while but last couple of years has had a couple of rash acts of ill-discipline which don't bode well.

Sheds, Optimus Grimes the only other 2 that are a chance.

Reactions: 4 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I would go for Grimes. Could do it for a couple of years. Viking and Jack Graham to be the two VC’s of the team. By the time Grimes is finished we will have a clear captain choice between Vlastuin and Jack Graham.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Current captain is JR.
I see no reason to relieve him of his position.
3rd in Coleman, mature, great football brain, handles the media well and is respected widely.
His till he retires in my view.

Reactions: 3 users

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
I've gone with Graham, though there are 4 candidates with votes I could've chosen any of them.

I have a feeling that we need to go with a new young leader to build a group around him.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Lots of good contenders and certainly a balancing act in terms of getting a long term captain or possibly giving someone the job too early.

Good to see we have a lot of players who can be captain, but I really want to see someone who could do the job for 5 years. The only exception would be a mentor captain with a view to handing it over to a long term captain.

DS

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
I was on Nank early and wouldn't be offended if he got it. But, the two scratches on him are his ability to string a season together and his persona/profile in the media.

On Lambert. While a character of the highest order, his game is based on endurance and he is nearly 31. If his endurance drops off I dont think he can sustain himself as an AFL player. That concerns me.
Yep, I take your point BT. I would hope that with carefully managed training and match day workloads that he has another 3 seasons in him. I wouldn’t expect his endurance to drop significantly in his early 30s (maybe an exercise physiologist knows more about this?). Injuries of course are a different issue and can happen to anyone.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
graham to me feels like the right choice 100 percent if its a rebuild selection and he can be allowed to develop into the role ,

But there is a part of me that thinks if we are having a red hot crack with all guns blazing while the wimdow is still open , a more senior player might be better suited to that scenario , even if its only 2 years , then it can be passed onto someone like Graham

Reactions: 3 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Re: Nank. Whilst mega determined, he is very quiet (his whole family are) so far as speaking up is concerned.

Inspirational on-field leader and heroic ruck, but not sure captaincy would sit well with him and potentially cause unwanted internal anxiety would be Leysy's fear.

Reactions: 2 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Do we go with the year-by-year thing while we resettle? Or do we give say, Flossy a few years?
I reckon Floss would've been groomed for the role and would've been very popular pick prior to 21. When things went against us and him last year I thought we saw an unrichmond like petulance about him. I'm ready to reset my view and would not be unhappy if he were picked but I went with Graham.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
With Trent still at the club for atleast 2022 and maybe even 2023

Jack Graham is the right choice