Captaincy (poll) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Captaincy (poll)

Who's going to be captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Graham for me.
Remember that Cotch was still a young man when he was elected.
Look how he turned out.
Graham could be in the same mould, but then I do not know any of the Tiger players personally, so just a thought on my part.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Not sure Graham is a certain starter. His form is too patchy. We don't want a Coniglio scenario.

Reactions: 4 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
its hard to guess the next captain given I really dont know how the players interact within their four walls

Baker is one that could blindside a few here , has a lot of inner drive , is very skillful , is also very courageous

he might get the nod from enough players to be the next captain ???

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Graham for me.
Remember that Cotch was still a young man when he was elected.
Look how he turned out.
Graham could be in the same mould, but then I do not know any of the Tiger players personally, so just a thought on my part.
Difference is Cotch won a Brownlow in the year before becoming captain, albeit we didn't know it at that time. He was one of the best mids in the comp.

Graham is coming off his best year and was the first year he played all 22 games. But there are still some doubt about where he sits in the best 22. As was mentioned, dropping your captain is not a good look (neither is turning a blind eye to your captain's performance because he is captain)

Reactions: 2 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Difference is Cotch won a Brownlow in the year before becoming captain, albeit we didn't know it at that time. He was one of the best mids in the comp.

Graham is coming off his best year and was the first year he played all 22 games. But there are still some doubt about where he sits in the best 22. As was mentioned, dropping your captain is not a good look (neither is turning a blind eye to your captain's performance because he is captain)
That all makes sense BT.
Who knows, except possibly the brains trust at Tigerland?

Reactions: 1 user

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
If training and leadership at training is part of the equation and the need for the player to be an automatic 1st team selection, then do not be surprised if Nathan Broad makes the leadership group. He's been out there from day 1 and has taken various players under his wing.

• Wow

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If Graham is earmarked as a future Captain then he'll get a VC nod this year. Graham being a midfielder I can see Lynch Captain, Optimus or Flossy the other VC

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Still wondering when the announcement will be made.
Club being very quiet on this, understandably.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
Still wondering when the announcement will be made.
Club being very quiet on this, understandably.
I think you will find the date for the announcement will probably co-incide with the date they actually announce the new captain, RFC style.

It's more of a Gilligan-AFL style process to issue press releases announcing things like: "We are going to release dates and venues for the first three games of Round 10 the day after the conclusion of the last AFLW home and away game. Stay tuned."

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Pretty sure the Captain vote thingy happens on their week away, towards the end of it. Then the footy committee adds their thoughts. Then they'll ask Dusty one more time if he's sure he doesn't want it, then they'll announce.

• Love

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
As a few have said and it didn't initially register for me but Lambo would be a great choice but I would love to see Dusty captain us to a premiership.

Lynch will be right in the mix and it would be great just to see the online meltdowns. Lynch is hated, as is Cotchy by opposition supporters.

We are blessed with multiple options.

Whoever gets it will be lifting a cup come September.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Here's my thoughts on the field:

Nankervis: No chance, if they are going to solve the problem of dealing with the media it will be for Dustin.

Lynch: Personally, I'd like to see him focus on his own footy at this stage, still feel he has a lot to offer there.

Graham: Not sure he is safe enough in our best 22.

Riewoldt: Can't see any benefit in this, apart from to his ego.

Grimes: Solid citizen, good media performer, great player, has 2-3 good years left. My choice.

Lambert: Hadn't really considered him but if he is good enough to pull Abbey Gelmi he is good enough to be Captain.

Short: Ticks lots of boxes but perhaps not polished enough to be the frontman.

Vlastuin: Would have been a certainty but sooked too much on-field last year. May still get it but I'd give him a year or two under Grimes.

Martin: Captain if he wants to be, don't think he does.

Edwards: Time just isn't on his side unfortunately.
Grimes for me also.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I voted for Lambert, but with caesar saying that he's missed a lot of the pre-season so far, I'm not so sure.

Vlastuin would be my second choice in what's a Cox Plate type field.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Grimes for me.

Dusty, Lynch, Lambert and Graham in the deputy roles.

rmcq

Tiger Cub
Aug 17, 2015
If Vlastuin said a random like Lambert (who will not be captain), then I guess that means Vlastuin will be.

• Love

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Reckon we might break with the norm and do Dusty and Grimes Co Captains.

Any two of Lynch, Graham, Nank and Vlastuin Vice.

Maneevo

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 13, 2011
If they stick to the a back/mid/fwd structure, I can see Grimes as captain graham and lynch vice captains. With graham to step up in a couple of years.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Here's my thoughts on the field:

Nankervis: No chance, if they are going to solve the problem of dealing with the media it will be for Dustin.

Lynch: Personally, I'd like to see him focus on his own footy at this stage, still feel he has a lot to offer there.

Graham: Not sure he is safe enough in our best 22.

Riewoldt: Can't see any benefit in this, apart from to his ego.

Grimes: Solid citizen, good media performer, great player, has 2-3 good years left. My choice.

Lambert: Hadn't really considered him but if he is good enough to pull Abbey Gelmi he is good enough to be Captain.

Short: Ticks lots of boxes but perhaps not polished enough to be the frontman.

Vlastuin: Would have been a certainty but sooked too much on-field last year. May still get it but I'd give him a year or two under Grimes.

Martin: Captain if he wants to be, don't think he does.

Edwards: Time just isn't on his side unfortunately.
Yeah Grimes for me too. I picked Nank in the poll, but was more with my heart than my head.
Just curious as to what the lots of boxes that Shorty ticks are?