Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yeh, Tess is completely unbiased having written Pells autobiography. Funny how she forgot to mention his predilection for young boys in the book.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Actually more than one book

https://www.amazon.com.au/George-Pell-Defender-Faith-Under/dp/0898709849#immersive-view_1551490130310

What a sinister image that is on the cover

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
MD Jazz said:
Actually more than one book

https://www.amazon.com.au/George-Pell-Defender-Faith-Under/dp/0898709849#immersive-view_1551490130310

What a sinister image that is on the cover

You ain’t wrong about the cover. Eeuughh

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Which is exactly the trouble with memory, isn't it?

You don't seem to have any qualms about accepting the story of this person (identity unknown) as gospel in the absence of any corroborating evidence, least of all from the other alleged victim who has conveniently died, and who denied any abuse took place. Try putting your prejudice aside and looking at the allegations in isolation.

Most rape/child abuse/sexual assault cases are he said/she said or just "he said" in this case as Pell didn't give evidence in court on the advice of his lawyer. That doesn't make him guilty either mind you, Richter usually advises his clients not to testify, only allowed Mick Gatto to because Gatto insisted and you probably let Mick Gatto do what he wants if he insists.

But if you want to say you can't convict because it's only the word of one alleged victim then most rapists and child abusers go free. The jury found his evidence compelling. Pell's interview with VicPol in Rome didn't help. The other alleged victim who committed suicide years back always claimed he hadn't been assaulted but that doesn't really mean that much - it wasn't under oath and many victims are so guilt ridden they deny being molested.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Furthermore - if you draw a Venn diagram of the conservatives who protested against gay marriage because of "harm to children" and those who are now defending Pell it lines up almost exactly. Bolt, Devine, Howard, Lyle Shelton.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I think Shelton is the most vile of the lot. Something very dangerous & creepy about him.

E

easy_tiger

antman said:
Furthermore - if you draw a Venn diagram of the conservatives who protested against gay marriage because of "harm to children" and those who are now defending Pell it lines up almost exactly. Bolt, Devine, Howard, Lyle Shelton.

Hmmmm. You forgot abbott.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Reckon a couple of Peter Dupas' convictions were railroaded through to tie up loose ends. You can take up the cudgels on that one.

You can try and deflect, change the topic or whatever. Personally I find the right wing cheer squad's hypocrisy, in defending their mate in this case while excoriating plenty of others, predictable and boring.

It is hugely difficult to get a conviction in sex abuse cases, which is why so few ever get to court, and why the Ballarat swimming pool allegations are not going to court. It is also hugely difficult to get a conviction when the defendant is very well connected and powerful. Yet convicted he was.

DS

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
easy said:
Another trivial but relevant anecdote ...

As a pubescent boy, the parish priest would quiz the old man about his 'impure thoughts' during confessions. Dad could hear him masturbating and would manufacture some really impure ones just to finish him off and get out of there
Relevant to write this for what purpose Easy? Just to focus on the poor behaviour of one priest in the confessional so you can be part of "the mob mentality" and denigrate all priests like so many posters here? Ever considered the many tens of thousands who are fine citizens and gave their lives to serve their communities, who need their spiritual support and still do? Not a well-considered comment imo.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
tigermike said:
Relevant to write this for what purpose Easy? Just to focus on the poor behaviour of one priest in the confessional so you can be part of "the mob mentality" and denigrate all priests like so many posters here? Ever considered the many tens of thousands who are fine citizens and gave their lives to serve their communities, who need their spiritual support and still do? Not a well-considered comment imo.

I don't condemn individual priests without cause. The Catholic Church must be condemned though, and roundly so. All over the world the tales of abuse are coming out.

And still Pope Francis called those who criticise the Church's pisspoor efforts at rehabilitation "friends of the Devil" only last week. What a *smile* up, evil institution. I don't believe in Hell but if there is I hope Francis, Pell and the rest of those who institutionalised abuse and then used their money, power and the legal system to cover up their crimes go there.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
DavidSSS said:
You can try and deflect, change the topic or whatever. Personally I find the right wing cheer squad's hypocrisy, in defending their mate in this case while excoriating plenty of others, predictable and boring.

It is hugely difficult to get a conviction in sex abuse cases, which is why so few ever get to court, and why the Ballarat swimming pool allegations are not going to court. It is also hugely difficult to get a conviction when the defendant is very well connected and powerful. Yet convicted he was.

DS

You want another one? Five years for the bus driver who hit the bridge was outrageous and still draws angry comment, yet that bank-burning ice-addicted refo *smile* was given a minimum of four yesterday. Is it any wonder people have lost faith in Victoria’s justice system?

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
tigermike said:

"Gave their lives" In what sense? They get to be in a position of power. They get to live rent free with many benefits including a cook/maid usually. Many amass a personal wealth that is hidden inside the tax free status of the church. My own parish priest did just this. He was another of the "few bad apples" - how many do there need to be before we just give up on that idiom? A convicted paedophile prone to violence protected by Pell and others who was often praised for being an excellent parish manager and fund raiser. The whole thing stinks to high heaven. The idea of taking a pauper's path to heaven seems metaphorical.

On Pell in particular, in the case I know most about, Fr Kevin O'Donnell, parish priest in Oakleigh, the police amassed 47 charges. These were whittled down to 12 (by recollection those numbers may be off by 1 or 2) counts by the trial. Please take that into account when looking at the case against Pell. The prosecution will take only those charges they think are their best chance to court, that does not mean they were the only ones. There could have been many more. O'Donnell had been a violent manipulator since the seminary. Over 50 years but still only 12 counts. I know personally of 6 victims and some of them were not amongst the 12.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
You want another one? Five years for the bus driver who hit the bridge was outrageous and still draws angry comment, yet that bank-burning ice-addicted refo *smile* was given a minimum of four yesterday. Is it any wonder people have lost faith in Victoria’s justice system?

Take a brisk goose step around the block and you’ll feel much better

E

easy_tiger

tigermike said:

I get that catholics have a choice to make Tmike.

Deny the fact that the catholic xhurch is australia is an organised pedophile ring,

Or face a terrifying life shattering existential crisis.

I genuinely get it.. I was intwinned in Catholicism and i still have elderly family members and friends who have chosen option 1.

My god parents had 2 sons lives ruined by preist abuse, and they are off to visit george next week.

I know there were/are alot of kind and good priests whose motivations were noble. My uncle was one who ran the sacred heart mission. Like knighter said, it was a job with its perks, including status, nice accomodation, an absence of any domestic responsibility, MCC membership, outstanding health care, free holiday accomodation in the most desirable locations, a generous retirement plan and old age care, the list goes on.

To your original question, I thought is was fairly self-evident why you would share an anecdote about the deviancy of a preist on a thread about the deviancy of an archbishop.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Another deflection, another attempt to distract from the topic under discussion?

Sure, just goes to show how weak your argument is.

Keep 'em coming.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
DavidSSS said:
Another deflection, another attempt to distract from the topic under discussion?

Eh? I'm addressing your post, you smarmy little fact-averse leftist schmuck.

DavidSSS said:
Evidence heard, verdict delivered, much wailing by so many who have not heard the evidence. Don't see this when it's just some average Joe being convicted.

I'm angry about these things, OK? I'm angry about the state of Victoria's police force and judiciary.

Edit: Look, I take back the personal abuse. There is just something about your posting at times that seems calculated to antagonise.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The Big Richo said:
Interesting that one of the papers reported Georgie Porgies full array of allegations over the years today, including events that were witnessed by adults.

Makes the suggestion that was the reason he didn't testify more valid.

news.com.au? Pretty flimsy, no wonder you didn't cite the link.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/courts-law/allegations-about-george-pells-behaviour-have-followed-him-for-years/news-story/7fe9b7b0742e08fa8a31c9d8e35d9634

If true and in the context reported, these things do indeed suggest pedophilic tendencies, but even then they are borderline as far as crime goes.

An elderly teacher used to dress/undress in full view of students when our primary school visited the local swimming pool for swimming lessons. Big deal.

PS Charges over the Ballarat allegations were withdrawn. They included elements of devil worship and were clearly farcical.

Between this, the Lawyer X scandal and the fabricated Silk/Miller statement, what is clearly evident is that Victoria Police processes are begging to be investigated.

E

easy_tiger

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
These things do indeed suggest pedophilic tendencies, but even then they are borderline as far as crime goes.

Being convicted by a jury of shoving his *smile* in a 13 yo boys mouth is pretty pedophilic

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Why am i not shocked.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/ive-been-disgusted-by-what-ive-seen-confessions-of-a-swiss-guard/news-story/4687e481c831b04f9815a1f27e29c4d1