Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
joegarra said:
I'm not sure if you can blame celibacy. Why boys??? It is abominable behaviour, one of my old teachers from St Paul's in Altona North has just been found guilty. He was being hidden by his order in the US, I hope he goes to gaol!!

i don't know why its boys as opposed to adults. maybe what Azza said has merit.

good old '*smile* paradise' hey? being an Altona boy, I know many people who went to St Pauls. maybe time for a new nickname, hey? :vomit

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Ian4 said:
i don't know why its boys as opposed to adults. maybe what Azza said has merit.

More a case of boys as opposed to girls. Children on the whole are far more vulnerable and easier targets than adults.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Saddened and angered watching this. Most or all of it is already on the public record, a lot of Ballarat Catholics, or ex-Catholics like me would know it all too. Pell has been climbing the Catholic corporate ladder while all this has been known. Priest> Monsignor > Bishop > Archbishop > Cardinal. He reckons he'll be next pope I'll bet. Dad went to St Pats with Pell, lets say they didn't get along. Dad always said the main thing he learned there was never send his sons to a Catholic school. He wasn't sexually abused, but bullied by the brothers, as most were. He was banished from the footy side and humiliated by the coach, a very old brother, for running with the ball, my Dad was a good player, always in rep sides, country journeyman semi-pro. (He sent my sister to Sacred Heart funnily enough, she has a disability and had a good experience there, Mum and Dad knew some teachers there, it was progressive. The Catholic church is a big corporation, it has some good divisions, and a lot of bad ones). St Alipius was our local Parish until Dad swore off the church when I was about 8 or 9, (he married and had kids very young and his parents were his only instruction manual until his mid twenties), my older brother was a gun tennis player and played for them, teamates committed suicide.

Pell should be brought to account

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Betfair should give the odds of Pell appearing before the Royal Commission in a Suit and Tie
Or his Robes and Gowns (designed to intimidate)

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Azza said:
There's a school of thought that priesthood didn't so much create pedophiles as attract them.

Intuitively this makes sense - if you were brought up Catholic with that terrible notion of guilt and sin over erotic feelings, let alone paedophilic feelings, then you might seek the church and priesthood as a safe haven to suppress those feelings. Unfortunately suppression rarely works and this combined with pastoral access to vulnerable people and its a recipe for disaster.

This further enabled by the corruptness of the church hierarchy out to protect the church, the wealth of the church, themselves and their colleagues. .

Chimptastic

Tiger Superstar
Aug 22, 2014
antman said:
Intuitively this makes sense - if you were brought up Catholic with that terrible notion of guilt and sin over erotic feelings, let alone paedophilic feelings, then you might seek the church and priesthood as a safe haven to suppress those feelings. Unfortunately suppression rarely works and this combined with pastoral access to vulnerable people and its a recipe for disaster.

This further enabled by the corruptness of the church hierarchy out to protect the church, the wealth of the church, themselves and their colleagues. .

And being forgiven by God is more important than the letter of the law, so it's easy to justify 'supporting' other priests that have privately confessed to doing wrong and have come to you for forgiveness. Plus, to have a free conscience, then obviously in prayer God told them all is good, keep covering up for each other.

If these guys have a direct line to a personal God then why did they forgive known child abusers and allow them to continue being in contact with Children? These guys 'converse with God' every night ;)

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It times like these that I become religous and hope there is a Hell so these *smile* can rot in it

Chimptastic

Tiger Superstar
Aug 22, 2014
Tigers of Old said:
Catholic God allows this stuff to happen to children. :p
Catholic God has these pedos as representatives of their church.
By but lets blame the devil for this. :p

...by choosing not to stop child abuse by priests, he's doing good because he works in mysterious ways ;)

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Attended a catholic school and feel very lucky that none of what has gone on I experienced.

Those poor kids that went to St Alipius in the early 1970s where almost every class had a (now) convicted pedophile teacher and of course a pedophile chaplin.

Found this snippet from a former catholic priest quite unbelievable

McKinnon said Mulkearns "probably" knew about Ridsdale's crimes. But, he said, notions of paedophilia were different then.

"It is clearer it is a crime now because we know the effect of it. Then I don't think even the psychologists or the psychiatrists knew the effects of it. Just as you wouldn't go to the police if someone was an alcoholic or something, in the wisdom of the time."

He said in the 1970s, the Catholic hierarchy thought Ridsdale could be cured and would stop offending. "You try hard and you can improve. We are a lot wiser now, but it is a bit late. There was a hope that people get their act together. Given the support they need they could change. It was the wisdom of the time."

So back in the day, they thought that children being raped by their priest or teacher wasn't a crime?

I used to believe in god many years ago, but all this has confimed in my mind that there is no such thing.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I am not sure how many know that George Pell very nearly became a Richmond player ? He was a promising ruckman who did a pre season with the aim of playing for the Under 19s in the late 50's but decided to go with the RC's rather than the RFC

Something we would rather keep quiet.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Sintiger said:
I am not sure how many know that George Pell very nearly became a Richmond player ? He was a promising ruckman who did a pre season with the aim of playing for the Under 19s in the late 50's but decided to go with the RC's rather than the RFC

Something we would rather keep quiet.

RCC and RFC... both are failed religions

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
antman said:
RCC and RFC... both are failed religions

I know it's for the lols, but equating Richmond with the Catholic church is pretty offensive to the club and supporters.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
mld said:
I know it's for the lols, but equating Richmond with the Catholic church is pretty offensive to the club and supporters.

Really? I think that's a bit of an over reaction there. I don't think there is an oganisation in the world that spends more on missions and charity work.

Would you prefer we equate RFC to ISIS? Is that less offensive?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
mld said:

Saying both A and B are C is not the same as saying A = B.

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Yep I find the excuse, that's what happened back in those days, very frustrating.
like the stolen generation, like assimilating aboriginals into white society, burning fossil fuels.
I know it's easy to look back in hindsight and say, "what were they thinking back then"

I wonder actions of ours, the next generation will find abhorrent?

Treatment of asylum seekers?
Climate change denial?