Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Of course they are.
Even if you accept that Pell hasnt been found guilty of rape, and therefor is entitled to the assumption of innocence, his, at best, willful ignorance to the rapes committed by other priests, and his support for those priests, really highlights the priority of those in power at the catholic church, and those "conservatives" who dont just support him, but continue to offer unabashed praise.
(it should be debatable whether those in Pell's corner should be called conservatives, as i dont think they is any conservative about supporting a pedophile protector.)

Perfectly summed up.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
"don't touch me I'm not an altar boy" :mhihi
You cannot argue as Abbott does that Pell was a scapegoat for the Catholic Church when Cardinal Pell was the highest ranking catholic in Australia. He was responsible for the administration, conduct and discipline of its members be they ordained or otherwise.

Reactions: 1 users

adamski

Tiger Cub
Jan 30, 2023
You cannot argue as Abbott does that Pell was a scapegoat for the Catholic Church when Cardinal Pell was the highest ranking catholic in Australia. He was responsible for the administration, conduct and discipline of its members be they ordained or otherwise.
I wonder what metrics Abbott uses to define greatest catholic

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
He was aquitted of sexual abuse, which may or may not be the correct decision, I honestly don't know.

But there is no doubt in my mind, none, zero, that he protected pedophile priests, close to him and not so close, by shielding, hiding and transferring them. And the Church rewarded him for that.

Pell has been ever present throughout my life. I grew up catholic in East Ballarat. He was my local priest as a child, he gave me my first communion, my dad went to school with him at St Pats, same class, he went to priest school at Werribee with my uncle. My dad left the church, thank Christ, just after my first communion. But he was still always around in the media as I left Ballarat and moved interstate. Watched the rise from Ballarat, Melbourne then Sydney Bishop, then Cardinal, and in the betting for Pope!

What I can tell you. based on all that, he protected terrible pedophile priests, and is an A-grade *smile* of a man.

And he was a *smile* footy player, he was just super-catholic back when the club was, and big.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
He was aquitted of sexual abuse, which may or may not be the correct decision, I honestly don't know.

But there is no doubt in my mind, none, zero, that he protected pedophile priests, close to him and not so close, by shielding, hiding and transferring them. And the Church rewarded him for that.

Pell has been ever present throughout my life. I grew up catholic in East Ballarat. He was my local priest as a child, he gave me my first communion, my dad went to school with him at St Pats, same class, he went to priest school at Werribee with my uncle. My dad left the church, thank Christ, just after my first communion. But he was still always around in the media as I left Ballarat and moved interstate. Watched the rise from Ballarat, Melbourne then Sydney Bishop, then Cardinal, and in the betting for Pope!

What I can tell you. based on all that, he protected terrible pedophile priests, and is an A-grade *smile* of a man.

And he was a *smile* footy player, he was just super-catholic back when the club was, and big.
Pell was a cruel, despicable human being. He had a choice, help the poor souls who were violated by predator priests, or protect the Catholic Church and it's perverted priests. Shame, shame shame.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Pell was a cruel, despicable human being. He had a choice, help the poor souls who were violated by predator priests, or protect the Catholic Church and it's perverted priests. Shame, shame shame.
the likes of Abbott, Howard etc are doing the same thing. tho i am not sure if they are protecting the church or their brand of conservatism.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Well well well, IIRC Alan Jones was one of the Pell defenders:

These allegations have been around for years.
I am not sure this is the right thread to discuss Alan Jones but this is not going to go away quickly. He will fight and he has a lot of money and a lot of powerful people behind him.

The evidence however is overwhelming, going back into the 1980s

Reactions: 1 user

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I am not sure this is the right thread to discuss Alan Jones but this is not going to go away quickly. He will fight and he has a lot of money and a lot of powerful people behind him.

The rock spiders and deviates always hang together.

It was interesting hearing investigative journo Chris Masters being interviewed on the subject.

He chose his words carefully so I had the feeling he knows plenty.

Said something along the line of if Jones really should be wanting to take this into an open court where all manner of stuff will be brought up.

A little bit of the "careful what you wish for" scenario that Roberts-Smith copped and the sleezebag,(IMO), currently in a defamation action, may also experience in the end!

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

A lot of powerful people who are keeping quiet and not publicly supporting him. Maybe they know…….

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
What's Bolt saying about Jones? Still his biggest fan?