Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I can't believe this isn't getting as much media as it deserves. this should be front page story day after day after day. we should be absolutely outraged. the catholic church gets protected too much in this country.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Ian4 said:
I can't believe this isn't getting as much media as it deserves. this should be front page story day after day after day. we should be absolutely outraged. the catholic church gets protected too much in this country.

It has been in The Age, which is good

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Sintiger said:
I am not sure how many know that George Pell very nearly became a Richmond player ? He was a promising ruckman who did a pre season with the aim of playing for the Under 19s in the late 50's but decided to go with the RC's rather than the RFC

Something we would rather keep quiet.

Its a myth, he was never anywhere near good enough. His standing as catholic golden boy, and his big frame, got him as far as he got. (My uncle was a priest and was at the seminary with Pell, and also a good footy player and also a mad Tiger supporter. In spite of all those things they had in common, Unc never liked him).

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Chiang Mai Tiger said:
FWIW your uncle sounds like a great bloke TS.

;D yeah he's a good guy Chiang Mai. Left years ago because of the celibacy thing, (how crazy is that rule?), now happily married. Still works for the church in programs for the homeless and addicted in Melb. Still not a fan of Pell.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
rosy23 said:

can't disagree with that. Amazing how often these powerful blokes come down with a debilitating illness right at the time when they have to face the music.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
tigersnake said:
can't disagree with that. Amazing how often these powerful blokes come down with a debilitating illness right at the time when they have to face the music.

perhaps the Essendon players should have pulled that trick and not attended the CAS hearing in Sydney.

As for Pell - it angers me that they think we are all so stupid - if he ever comes back to AUS I hope they throw the book at him

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
rosy23 said:

Maybe, he be just have a pathological lack of empathy. He always spoke as though he saw priests a bit like union members in need of his protection. He was insular but completely devoid of an ability to empathise. Now it is possible this was a "studied detatchment" , if so then as you say...
Evil.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
KnightersRevenge said:
Maybe, he be just have a pathological lack of empathy. He always spoke as though he saw priests a bit like union members in need of his protection. He was insular but completely devoid of an ability to empathise. Now it is possible this was a "studied detatchment" , if so then as you say...
Evil.

Like most organisations the Catholic Church will always act to defend itself first, true victims be damned. What makes it worse is the sanctimonious bastards telling others how to live their lives on pain of going to hell and then protect their own who perform these outrageous acts on kids.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
antman said:
Like most organisations the Catholic Church will always act to defend itself first, true victims be damned. What makes it worse is the sanctimonious bastards telling others how to live their lives on pain of going to hell and then protect their own who perform these outrageous acts on kids.

There are few more sanctimonious than this Cynthia (??huh, thank god for you spellchecker). A truely odious human but one who always seems deeply perplexed that others find him odious. Hence why I struggle to call him evil. He may just be a sociopath. I am again reminded of my favourite though likely apocryphal graffito "Margaret Thatcher's idea of compassion is a lot like a cannibal on a health kick, eating only vegitarians"

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
year of the tiger said:
Thanks ToO - Minchin doesn't hold back which is pretty normal for him

What happened to black eye make-up and amount of *smile* in his lyrics?

Steve Price wasn't happy yesterday...

ninjahaha

Sponsored by Takeda Pharmaceutical
Feb 22, 2014
the shadows
TigerForce said:
What happened to black eye make-up and amount of *smile*s after he misses a goal?

43d331f98105398f6e497249b1cdcca7

Emonator!