Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Cardinal George Pell is the victim of a vicious witch hunt
Andrew Bolt
Herald Sun
January 17, 2016

CARDINAL George Pell is the victim of one of the most vicious witch hunts to disgrace this country. It is shameful. Disgusting. Frightening.

People pretending to be moral have competed with each other to slime Pell as the defender of paedophiles, if not a paedophile himself.

There is no mercy and no attention to the facts. There is just the joy of hatred. Check the snarling glee on the face of comedian Tim Minchin as he sang a hymn of hatred to Pell on Channel 10’s The Project on Tuesday.

“Scum,” he called Pell, who is too ill to fly from Rome to give evidence (for the third time) to our royal commission into child sex abuse.

“Coward,” he jeered, vilifying Pell for more than four minutes of prime-time television, falsely portraying him as a defender — even a friend — of paedophile priests.

(Note to Project host Waleed Aly: would you have screened four minutes of unbridled hatred for a Muslim cleric?)

Meanwhile, the ABC promoted a crowd-funding effort by Project presenters to raise the money to send former victims to Rome to “confront” the cardinal with “face-to-face contact”.

To stoke up hatred of Pell, it also published a mocked-up picture of the cardinal driving a car of huge rock-spiders, code for paedophiles.

ABC News also falsely claimed “the commission has heard from child abuse victim David Ridsdale that Cardinal Pell tried to bribe him to keep quiet” about his abuse by his uncle — when Ridsdale in fact told the commission, “I never have said that he bribed me”.

And many media outlets sternly reported Pell wouldn’t “face the victims” in person at the royal commission, without adding he’d faced victims repeatedly.

Pell has met victims privately and twice given evidence with victims present — to the royal commission and a Victorian inquiry into child sex abuse.

Indeed, in 1996 he became the first senior person here, in church or in government, to confront the horror of sexual abuse of children.

Only three months after becoming archbishop of Melbourne, he created the Melbourne Response to help victims. No bishop of any other church had done anything like it.

Yet no insult of this man has been enough in a campaign of public denigration, even dehumanisation.

Channel 9’s 60 Minutes interviewed an English abuse victim who’d never met Pell and seemed uninformed on crucial details yet still felt free to defame him as “a dangerous individual” and “almost sociopathic” with a “catalogue of denigrating people”.

I know Pell. “Sociopathic” is a lie.

But this is the mob at its most vile: each person feeling licensed by the brutality of the rest to be brutal, too.

If “everybody else” hates someone, then that person must deserve hating. You can surrender your own judgment and conscience and give in to the pure pleasure of unbridled hatred, disguised as moral righteousness.

Viciousness dressed as morality: is there anything sweeter to the stupid, the resentful and the bully? Ask the “godly” who murdered the “witches” of Salem. Ask the jihadists who now behead “infidels”. Pell’s accusers are not violent but flirt with that same pitiless sanctimony.

“Die Pell,” urged a headline on The Age’s Facebook page and many of those now demanding he fly here don’t seem to mind if he does.

The Sydney Morning Herald published snide items urging Pell to get on a plane, despite being told by cardiologists that Pell’s medical advisers were right — it could kill the 74-year-old, given his heart problems.

No mercy in The Age, though. “Unwilling to trust his God,” sneered one headline.

Former NSW Labor premier Kristina Keneally even taunted: “Jesus said there is no greater love than to lay down your life for another.”

Nor did anyone seem to care that Pell will give exactly the same evidence from Rome he would give if he flew here. He is not fleeing justice like, say, Julian Assange, the hero of this same Left.

No, the mob is just hungry for a scapegoat and wants Pell close enough to humiliate.

It’s the primitive moral calculus of the tribalist: that an injustice to one side can be made good with an injustice to the other.

It’s enough that Pell is now our most senior member of the Catholic Church, which once betrayed so many children.

But what makes him an even better target for the Left is that’s he’s a conservative who has defended traditional marriage, attacked global warming alarmism and correctly seen the green faith as a competitor to his own.

He’ll do, they cry.

How Pell has, as a human being, survived their onslaught astonishes me. Worst of all, he was falsely accused of having himself abused a boy when a young priest, although an inquiry that later looked into this highly dubious claim found no proof of any such thing.

It’s continued. A former child victim of one Ballarat priest claimed in the royal commission that in 1969 Pell heard him pleading for help but did nothing — only for Pell to later produce his passport, showing he’d been in Rome that year.

But people such as Minchin still claim the young Pell must have known his then Ballarat housemate and fellow priest, Gerald Ridsdale, was abusing children — an allegation Pell denies. Yet none question the word of another young priest who shared a house with Ridsdale, Paul Bongiorno, a Leftist and now ABC commentator, who says he had no idea, either. “Ridsdale never came to the presbytery in Warrnambool and said, ‘Guess how many boys I’ve raped today?’,” Bongiorno said. “They hide it.”

And they hid it from Pell, who has repeatedly denied on oath protecting paedophiles or keeping crimes hidden.

Neither of the two inquiries so far has yet found proof that he’s lying. Even Gerald Ridsdale, the worst of the paedophile priests, failed to incriminate Pell in the royal commission last year.

His evidence, suggesting Pell knew nothing, seemed to anger the royal commission. Justice Peter McClellan even warned Ridsdale the commission could find out who visited him in jail before he’d given evidence, which seemed to suggest McClellan had expected more damning stuff from Ridsdale and suspected he’d been nobbled.

In fact, the royal commission has throughout seemed only too ready to doubt Pell’s word whenever his recollection conflicted with his accusers’.

It has also asked Pell to give evidence three times — more than any other witness — in what is now becoming a punishment by process.

Pell knows his church betrayed many children and protected the priests who preyed on them. He knows he could have handled the scandal better, but nothing I’ve seen so far shows he protected paedophiles.

Nothing.

If that changes, I will damn him then, but right now there is proof of only this: a witch hunt to destroy an innocent man for the sins of others.

Shame on every coward who joins this vicious mob. You claim you stand for good, yet you show such gloating evil.

(paywalled) http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/andrew-bolt/cardinal-george-pell-is-the-victim-of-a-vicious-witch-hunt/news-story/29e8036f329dfee742adf48949ed8743

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
The "Melbourne Response" was one of the most cynical and self-serving responses possible. It was designed to limit compensation ( a max of $32000ish I think) and included a waiver of any future charges against the church and a non-disclosure agreement. Not exactly what you'd call "victim oriented" it was all about saving face and keeping victims quiet and keeping costs down. No part of it was about actually helping victims of rape or admitting and fixing the problems in the church. It also didn't have any requirement for the church to refer the abusers to the police.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
KnightersRevenge said:
The "Melbourne Response" was one of the most cynical and self-serving responses possible. It was designed to limit compensation ( a max of $32000ish I think) and included a waiver of any future charges against the church and a non-disclosure agreement. Not exactly what you'd call "victim oriented" it was all about saving face and keeping victims quiet and keeping costs down. No part of it was about actually helping victims of rape or admitting and fixing the problems in the church. It also didn't have any requirement for the church to refer the abusers to the police.

are you suggesting Bolt has misrepresented 'facts' to defend a fellow conservative from the enemy that is the "left"?
i dont believe it.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I know Pell. “Sociopathic” is a lie.

(paywalled) http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/andrew-bolt/cardinal-george-pell-is-the-victim-of-a-vicious-witch-hunt/news-story/29e8036f329dfee742adf48949ed8743

My Dad and Uncle both know Pell well. They'd say it was bang on.

Geez Bolt craps on. On the Pell producing his passport thing, ever consider the kid may have got the year wrong? Or different incidents mixed up? He was a little kid, and it was a long time ago. The evidence Pell being a ped is not compelling, but it enough to have some doubts, the evidence that he failed to act when he knew that abuse was happening on his watch, as a head priest right through to bishop, is overwhelming, but Bolt cherry-picks, as usual, one sliver of evidence that supports his pre-ordained conclusion.

So many suicides of kids from St Alipius from when Pell was monsignor, boss priest, but he knew nothing? What a dumbo. Can't be that quick on the uptake big George.

This is the most indignant I've ever read Bolt, not that I read him, and its about people wanting The CEO to face the music about systematic child abuse, amazing. He is indignant about people who are indignant about child abusers. Stuff him, this makes me wild.

Bolt is lower than a snakes guts as well.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
BREAKING

Victoria Police investigating Cardinal Pell
an hour ago
LUCIE MORRIS MARRHerald Sun
Subscriber Exclusive Icon
Victoria Police are investigating Cardinal Pell. Picture: Getty

EXCLUSIVE: A VICTORIA Police taskforce has been investigating allegations of abuse by Cardinal George Pell.

A team of detectives from Sano taskforce has compiled a dossier containing allegations that Pell committed “multiple offences” when he was a priest in Ballarat and when he was Archbishop of Melbourne.

It has been alleged the 74-year-old, who says he is unable to fly to Australia to give evidence to the Royal Commission due to ill health, sexually abused minors by “both grooming and opportunity’’.

Legal sources say detectives have worked for the past year on the investigation which has involved interviewing ‘’numerous’’ alleged victims.

The taskforce has not yet heard from Cardinal Pell or considered his position.

The Herald Sun is not suggesting the Cardinal is guilty, only that there have been allegations made which are being taken seriously enough by police to justify a year-long investigation.

The evidence has been presented to superiors at Victoria Police, they say.

Cardinal Pell has vehemently denied all claims.

Do you know more? Email Lucie Morris Marr or call our newsdesk on 9292 1226

STATEMENT FROM THE OFFICE OF CARDINAL GEORGE PELL

Cardinal Pell is due to give evidence to the Royal Commission in just over one week.

The timing of these leaks is clearly designed to do maximum damage to the Cardinal and the Catholic Church and undermines the work of the Royal Commission.

The allegations are without foundation and utterly false.

It is outrageous that these allegations have been brought to the Cardinal’s attention through a media leak. These undetailed allegations have not been raised with the Cardinal by the police and the false claims investigated by Justice Southwell have been ignored by the police for over 15 years, despite the very transparent way they were dealt with by the Cardinal and the Catholic Church.

The Cardinal has called for a public inquiry into the leaking of these spurious claims by elements in the Victorian Police in a manner clearly designed to embarrass the Cardinal, in a case study where the historical failures of the Victorian Police have been the subject of substantial evidence. These types of unfair attacks diminish the work of those good officers of the police who are diligently working to bring justice to victims.

The Phillip Island allegations have been on the public record for nearly 15 years. The Southwell Report which exonerated Cardinal Pell has been in the public domain since 2002.

The Victorian police have taken no steps in all of that time to pursue the false allegations made, however the Cardinal certainly has no objection to them reviewing the materials that led Justice Southwell to exonerate him. The Cardinal is certain that the police will quickly reach the conclusion that the allegations are false.

The Victorian Police have never sought to interview him in relation to any allegations of child sexual abuse and apart from the false allegations investigated by Justice Southwell, the Cardinal knows of no claims or incidents which relate to him.

He strongly denies any wrongdoing. If the police wish to question him he will co-operate, as he has with each and every public inquiry.

In the meantime, the Cardinal understands that several media outlets have received confidential information leaked by someone within the Victorian Police. For elements of the police to publicly attack a witness in the same case study that has exposed serious police inaction and wrongdoing is outrageous and should be seen for what it is.

Given the serious nature of this conduct, the Cardinal has called for a public inquiry to be conducted in relation to the actions of those elements of the Victorian Police who are undermining the Royal Commission’s work. .

The Cardinal calls on the Premier and the Police Minister to immediately investigate the leaking of these baseless allegations.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria-police-investigating-cardinal-pell/news-story/09609ca949fdb490842fd72d73faf779?utm_content=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=EditorialSF&utm_source=HeraldSun&utm_medium=Twitter

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Tigers of Old said:
The Herald Sun is not suggesting the Cardinal is guilty, only that there have been allegations made which are being taken seriously enough by police to justify a year-long investigation.

Why would the Herald Sun include this? No newspaper ever includes this. They are reporting that police are investigating allegations, that's all they need to say, report what is in front of you. Why special rules for the powerful? What a rag.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
Why would the Herald Sun include this? No newspaper ever includes this. They are reporting that police are investigating allegations, that's all they need to say, report what is in front of you. Why special rules for the powerful? What a rag.
From my observation they include this line now in an article where someone is "under investigation" type scenarios.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:
From my observation they include this line now in an article where someone is "under investigation" type scenarios.

Really? Never seen it before.

Also, normally a newspaper might include in the report historical investigation of similar offences. Pell has been subject to high profile child abuse allegations in the past. Obviously they are irrelevant to any court proceedings, but the media typically include stuff like that all the time. 'Pell was found not guilty of an incident of child abuse at a church camp in the 1980s', something like that. Stinks.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I have no idea whether Pell is guilty of abuse or not but it's taking our eye off the ball for the moment. He was head of a church in this state which has protected abusive priests and put together a response that has not truly acknowledged or protected victims of abuse.

His appearance at the Royal commission is about what he and the Church knew about what was happening in the church and what they did and did not do about it.

He owes it to those victims to tell the truth and acknowledge, apologise and compensate and this is what the Catholic Church has consistently not done. By trying to protect it's reputation they have trashed it. What these people deserve is the truth with no embellishment or mitigation.

Only then will George Pell have done what he should do and it's because he hasn't that so many feel the way they do about him.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
jb03 said:
Ross Stevenson asked a good question yesterday. What is it about the Catholic Religion or system, that attracted so many paedophiles to begin with?

Access to so many kids and you don't marry. Perfect environment.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
tigersnake said:
Really? Never seen it before.

Also, normally a newspaper might include in the report historical investigation of similar offences. Pell has been subject to high profile child abuse allegations in the past. Obviously they are irrelevant to any court proceedings, but the media typically include stuff like that all the time. 'Pell was found not guilty of an incident of child abuse at a church camp in the 1980s', something like that. Stinks.
Ts, as a further example to my previous post you'll see on page 10 of today's HUN where's there a story about 2 people related to the Shane Warne Foundation mysteriously winning cars in raffles...

"It is not suggested Mr Kasim, Warne, Mr Campbell, Ms Johns or Ms Nolan have done anything inappropriate".

I think they add this line now to cover their arse. An extension of always adding "alledgedly" if you will.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
tigertim said:
Ts, as a further example to my previous post you'll see on page 10 of today's HUN where's there a story about 2 people related to the Shane Warne Foundation mysteriously winning cars in raffles...

"It is not suggested Mr Kasim, Warne, Mr Campbell, Ms Johns or Ms Nolan have done anything inappropriate".

I think they add this line now to cover their arse. An extension of always adding "alledgedly" if you will.

call me a cynic Tim, they might do it for Warnie and Pell, don't reckon they do it for the average Joe. I can't see any need for it legally. You can't be sued for reporting events or facts. Pell is being investigated, Warnie's PA won the raffle.

On the Warnie raffle thing, remember when you were a kid entering all those competitions?? Paddle pop lick-a-prize, Sidchrome super Test team, etc etc, the entry forms always said 'employees of any companies associated with this competition and their families are ineligible to enter'. Its obvious. When I was a printer we used to joke about running off a few thousand extra entry forms, not that we ever did. Fair dinkum, what was warnie and his PA thinking?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Live coverage of Pell's testimony.

He doesn't seem very sick. ::)

http://www.theage.com.au/national/live-coverage-cardinal-george-pell-appears-before-abuse-royal-commission-in-rome-20160228-gn5xga.html

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
Tigers of Old said:
Live coverage of Pell's testimony.

He doesn't seem very sick. ::)

http://www.theage.com.au/national/live-coverage-cardinal-george-pell-appears-before-abuse-royal-commission-in-rome-20160228-gn5xga.html

Think the same thing.
Also, I'm fascinated by the process used by the "interrogator".
She appears to be asking all these seemingly harmless questions, and then slowly - slowly - she tightens the noose using the witnesses own statements against them.
She's one very clever lady.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
For a person who holds such a senior position in the Catholic Church he has a terrible memory bordering on senile. :spin :spin :spin :spin
I don't believe a word he says. Their Church is mud.