Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse

E

easy_tiger

tigerman said:
Why am i not shocked.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/ive-been-disgusted-by-what-ive-seen-confessions-of-a-swiss-guard/news-story/4687e481c831b04f9815a1f27e29c4d1

It important to make a very clear distinction between a predatory homosexual and a paedophile. Even the most lecherous of homosexual, one who exercises power and predates on other adult men, does not unleash anything near the psychological carnage of a practising paedophile like Pell.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
easy said:
It important to make a very clear distinction between a predatory homosexual and a paedophile. Even the most lecherous of homosexual, one who exercises power and predates on other adult men, does not unleash anything near the psychological carnage of a practising paedophile like Pell.

According to the article those priests at the Vatican are predators, just like Pell.

E

easy_tiger

tigerman said:
According to the article those priests at the Vatican are predators, just like Pell.

Yes but they seemed to be predating on young men, who as the whistle blower states, are both capable of physical resistance to, and making horrible sense of, the assault.

Young boys could do neither.

Its a very unpleasant differentiation we need to make i think.

Im trying to highlight the spectrum of depravity and point out that Pell has been convicted of being a fair way up the right hand end

I hope and think his sentence this week will reflect that

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
easy said:
Yes but they seemed to be predating on young men, who as the whistle blower states, are both capable of physical resistance to, and making horrible sense of, the assault.

Young boys could do neither.

Its a very unpleasant differentiation we need to make i think.

Im trying to highlight the spectrum of depravity and point out that Pell has been convicted of being a fair way up the right hand end

I hope and think his sentence this week will reflect that

Yes there is a difference, but making the Swiss Guards, who aren't priests, sign a contract of celibacy!!!! Why would they do that?
I say they are hoping that the Guards become toeier than a Roman sandal so they can use their power and influence to have their way with them.
Not as bad as paedophiles but still despicable.

E

easy_tiger

tigerman said:
Yes there is a difference, but making the Swiss Guards, who aren't priests, sign a contract of celibacy!!!! Why would they do that?
I say they are hoping that the Guards become toeier than a Roman sandal so they can use their power and influence to have their way with them.
Not as bad as paedophiles but still despicable.

The Village People are banned in the vatican, so i spose yeah they just say god wants a troop of horny policeman boys?

But what kind of bloke actually signs up to be a celibate security guard?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
easy said:
The Village People are banned in the vatican, so i spose yeah they just say god wants a troop of horny policeman boys?

But what kind of bloke actually signs up to be a celibate security guard?

It's tax free, i'd be tempted ;D
I wouldn't have to sign a contract, as i'm involuntary celibate :D

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
The whole celibacy thing among Catholic officialdom has always reinforced to me (and views I heard growing up from my family around me) that Catholicism is built on weird cult like rituals that take precedence over any relationship with, or worship of God and Jesus Christ that they purport to be about. No wonder the official ranks of Catholicism attracts social misfits (and by association, deviants).

Like I said earlier. My family background was Protestant (Methodist/Presbyterian). I wouldn't say my extended family is overly practicing these days, but I was Christened and I was sent to Sunday school for a couple of years as a child. And all the Ministers I remember (both male and female Ministers) were generally married with children. In fact, although not an overt rule, it seemed that this was nearly an expectation. As if being a committed family man/woman was setting an example of what a good Christian person does. Like I suggest, I'm not practicing (more agnostic than anything else), but I would have thought that this school of thought is more compatible with the purported teachings than Catholic practice. And more importantly, it made the Ministers (and by extension, their family) seem more like regular, 'real' people, than some sort of divine being.

And I think this is where the Catholic Church with all it's bizarre rituals has fostered their corrupt culture. If you put people up on a pedestal as some sort of divine being, you create an aura of unquestionability and untouchability about them. Not only from the followers, but that kind of power goes to the anointed one's heads and they begin to believe that they themselves are unquestionable and untouchable - above the laws of decency (and real laws) that mere mortals must adhere to.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
You want another one? Five years for the bus driver who hit the bridge was outrageous and still draws angry comment, yet that bank-burning ice-addicted refo *smile* was given a minimum of four yesterday. Is it any wonder people have lost faith in Victoria’s justice system?

i assume you are referring to the bus driver who injured 6 people- range of serious injuries including spine fractures, glass particles in the face, scalp injuries and neck fractures, who was sentenced to a minimum 2 1/2 years jail, and the "bank-burning ice-addicted refo *smile*" who was sentenced to a minimum 7 years jail?

not sure of the relevance though to Pell's guilt.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Brodders17 said:
i assume you are referring to the bus driver who injured 6 people- range of serious injuries including spine fractures, glass particles in the face, scalp injuries and neck fractures, who was sentenced to a minimum 2 1/2 years jail, and the "bank-burning ice-addicted refo *smile*" who was sentenced to a minimum 7 years jail?

not sure of the relevance though to Pell's guilt.

Apologies, I got the bank-burner wrong. It was 11 years with a minimum of seven, and I came up with four. Still, it was a deliberate act versus the bus driver's accident.

Sure, the bus driver was negligent. So convict him, ban him from driving again, require him to pay compensation to the victims, make him do community service. He is 55 with a clean record, he shouldn't be in jail.

You're right, unrelated to Pell. It was a response to the claim that "nobody gets upset if it's an ordinary person" (paraphrased).

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Apologies, I got the bank-burner wrong. It was 11 years with a minimum of seven, and I came up with four. Still, it was a deliberate act versus the bus driver's accident.

Sure, the bus driver was negligent. So convict him, ban him from driving again, require him to pay compensation to the victims, make him do community service. He is 55 with a clean record, he shouldn't be in jail.

You're right, unrelated to Pell. It was a response to the claim that "nobody gets upset if it's an ordinary person" (paraphrased).

Just on the bus driver, he was more than "negligent" he was incompetent. This was proven because he ignored 3 signs warning of the low bridge height plus he ignored 2 warning devices before he struck the bridge, Imo he was given the correct penalty.

As for Pell, unless you were in the courtroom & heard ALL of the evidence you cannot make an informed comment. If you were privy to the proceedings please enlighten the rest of us.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
TT33 said:
Just on the bus driver, he was more than "negligent" he was incompetent. This was proven because he ignored 3 signs warning of the low bridge height plus he ignored 2 warning devices before he struck the bridge, Imo he was given the correct penalty.

5 years gaol when no-one was killed is more than 1 punch murderers get, its a manifestly excessive sentence.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
IanG said:
5 years gaol when no-one was killed is more than 1 punch murderers get, its a manifestly excessive sentence.

Agree. Ridiculous.

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
IanG said:

Only because what one punch murderers get is manifestly inadequate

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
More continues to emerge about Pell:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/church-knew-pell-was-at-centre-of-decades-old-lurid-sex-claims-20190307-p512ci.html?fbclid=IwAR2kJ9iX_RYB468QMEUui39-3wkGHi-0BNp8QCUHFIc9ToM8Oispn55Tdj0

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
IanG said:
More continues to emerge about Pell:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/church-knew-pell-was-at-centre-of-decades-old-lurid-sex-claims-20190307-p512ci.html?fbclid=IwAR2kJ9iX_RYB468QMEUui39-3wkGHi-0BNp8QCUHFIc9ToM8Oispn55Tdj0

Is this the case the prosecution dropped because it contained elements of satanism? Pursued by a violent criminal/drug addict/drug trafficker with 39 convictions?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
D0TwKr1WkAAFjHa.jpg

"The photo of the 33 St Alipius pupils from 1973 sticks with me, 12 of them killed themselves due to abuse at the school. The Episcopal vicar for education in diocese of Ballarat from 1973-1984 was George Pell."

This was where Gerard Ridsdale and others plied their trade. This was what George Pell at the Royal Commission called "A sad story that didn't interest me very much".

More info on the spate of suicides of men abused in the Ballarat diocese here. http://clergygonewild.com/sex-abuse/34-child-abuse/1788-australia-churchs-suicide-victims

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-18/royal-commission-into-child-abuse-to-start-hearings-in-ballarat/6477132

For me this is the greater crime of people like Pell - that they saw the "good name" and "integrity" of the church as more important than anything else. They crushed those that opposed them and they crushed victims through legal means. They destroyed lives through abuse and then through the legal system.

This is a really good article by the Melbourne writer Christos Tsiolkas. He makes the valid point that the New Testament mentions sex only a handful of times, yet the Catholic Church is based around concepts of sin, shame and guilt, mostly around sex. This is why I consider the Church an pathological organisation. Whether you believe in Jesus or God or not, the foundation of this church is no longer about love and charity.

https://newsvire.com/my-anger-with-george-pell-has-been-replaced-by-immense-sadness-christos-tsiolkas/

E

easy_tiger

That photo and statistic makes me cry antman

Innocent little fellas found themselves in the vipers nest.

I hope the overseer's twilight years in prison

brings a small respite from the psychological tempest that was unleashed on their families by these foul creatures

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I question the parents of these little kids. How can such rampage take place without it being undetected and/or unattended by the parents.

E

easy_tiger

Harry said:
I question the parents of these little kids. How can such rampage take place without it being undetected and/or unattended by the parents.

Its unfair to lay that on them harry.

This was an organised gang under the leadership of a psychopath, with a couple of thousand years of institutional fantasy stories as a force field.

Families dont usually find out about old drunk uncle bob appearing naked in their 10 yo daughters bed, until after hes dead, let alone an institutional predatory outfit.

Even if some pedophilia was due to lack of parental insight. Theres no way that 40% of parents of the st.alypius class of '73 lacked insight. #1.

I understand what you have verbalised would be a commonly thought question. But, its victim blaming, which is the very last thing these families need.

# 1. I know blokes in that class, dead and alive