Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cardinal George Pell, The Catholic Church and Child Sex Abuse

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I see Pell is going to be interviewed by Andrew Bolt on Tuesday.

I've been paying for two Foxtel subscriptions for over 20 years, if this interview goes the way I think it will I'll be done.

Wouldn't bother. You already know it's going to be like Tracey Holmes' interview with Hird.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Yes, interesting that appeal courts are now judging evidence not just questions of law.

But, the high court didn't hear the witness testimony, yet they apparently have a better idea of whether it was credible.

If they are just going to ignore jury decisions then be honest and say so, and abolish juries if one's peers are no longer seen to be fit to judge one.

DS
The High Court evidently decided unanimously that a properly instructed jury could not have reached the verdict it did, which I am told, is a point of law.
Interestingly the AG has been talking about publishing that part of the Royal Commissions report, which dealt with Pell's actions while he was in charge of the Catholic Church in Victoria. it was redacted before the report was published because it was thought likely to prejudice the out come of (his) criminal trial.
Expect that report to give Pell a good lashing.

kyuss

Tiger Superstar
May 13, 2012
Which of these high court justices (who voted unanimously to acquit)are the “rock spiders” who are apparently looking out for Pell?

And if the “legal world” are looking after Pell why didn’t they at the initial trial or the Supreme Court appeal? Why did they wait til it went to the HC?

deleted

Last edited:

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
I saw a snippet of the interview on the news last night and a brief rundown in the paper yesterday. I noticed he said he was ashamed of the catholic church’s response to the way it dealt with victims and perpetrators. I noticed that he didn’t say he was ashamed of the way HE handled pedophile priests ( some were mates) and how he dealt with the victims and what he put them through when discussing compensation etc
Maybe there is more in the full interview but I doubt I’ll watch it. He had more than ample time to do the right thing, the moral thing but failed. He only wanted to protect the church at any and all costs and didn’t really care about the victims

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tigers won’t reinstate George Pell’s club ambassador role following acquittal (paywalled)
Monique Hore
Herald Sun
April 16, 2020

Richmond Football Club will not reinstate Cardinal George Pell as an ambassador after his child sexual abuse convictions were quashed.

The Tigers dumped Cardinal Pell as a Vice Patron in February last year after he was found guilty of abusing two choirboys in 1996.

Richmond said at the time: “While acknowledging his right to appeal, the Club has formed a view that his association is no longer tenable or appropriate.”

Cardinal Pell’s convictions were sensationally quashed by the High Court in a unanimous 7-0 verdict last week.

But Richmond has confirmed it would not reconsider his association with the club.

“The Richmond Football Club Board will not be revisiting its decision on Cardinal George Pell’s role with the Club,” it said in a statement.

Pell played football while in high school and signed with Richmond as a ruckman in 1959. He played for the club’s VFL reserves side.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tigers won’t reinstate George Pell’s club ambassador role following acquittal (paywalled)
Monique Hore
Herald Sun
April 16, 2020

Richmond Football Club will not reinstate Cardinal George Pell as an ambassador after his child sexual abuse convictions were quashed.

The Tigers dumped Cardinal Pell as a Vice Patron in February last year after he was found guilty of abusing two choirboys in 1996.

Richmond said at the time: “While acknowledging his right to appeal, the Club has formed a view that his association is no longer tenable or appropriate.”

Cardinal Pell’s convictions were sensationally quashed by the High Court in a unanimous 7-0 verdict last week.

But Richmond has confirmed it would not reconsider his association with the club.

“The Richmond Football Club Board will not be revisiting its decision on Cardinal George Pell’s role with the Club,” it said in a statement.

Pell played football while in high school and signed with Richmond as a ruckman in 1959. He played for the club’s VFL reserves side.

I wonder how Bolt will react to this. His only saving grace is that he's an RFC supporter.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Royal commission found what most catholics from central and western Victoria have known for 25 years.

Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Ahh bolta. Good to see you haven’t let me down. Without fail up pops his defense piece.
one line stands out and says it all about his blinkered love of pell.....”it’s again monstrously unfair” in regards to the report

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Ahh bolta. Good to see you haven’t let me down. Without fail up pops his defense piece.
one line stands out and says it all about his blinkered love of pell.....”it’s again monstrously unfair” in regards to the report

Wouldn't have expected any thing else from him.
R. Cranium of the highest order.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yep , it’s fair when he is found not guilty in appeal and that process is ok. A royal commission is not fair.
The difference is one gave the judgment he agrees with and the other didn’t.
Bolt is hypocritical but is totally blind to his hypocrisy