Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
To be fair, not sure Carlton could've managed it on their own.
The bloke who quit because they chose Cripps over McCarthy is now one of our recruiters.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
spook said:
The bloke who quit because they chose Cripps over McCarthy is now one of our recruiters.

We seem to be a magnet for bad recruiters.

*But lately Clarke has been hitting gold. It had to turn sooner then later.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
TigerForce said:
I read it. Cartoon 22 flags......GAGF Gill.

Yep 6 new flags but in addition they were runners-up 6 times during the same period
And incredibly that means a further 12 Norm Smiths to the mighty Blues too (whether they played GF’s in those days or not)
Today’s Carlton supporters must be so happy with this new joy in their lives

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Tenacious said:
Yep 6 new flags but in addition they were runners-up 6 times during the same period
And incredibly that means a further 12 Norm Smiths to the mighty Blues too (whether they played GF’s in those days or not)
Today’s Carlton supporters must be so happy with this new joy in their lives

Someone on BF quipped that Teague is already the greatest coach of all time - six premierships in his first day on the job.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Someone on BF quipped that Teague is already the greatest coach of all time - six premierships in his first day on the job.

Ha! Pay that one.

Regarding how far back...

The number of teams, how competitive most of them were (or were not) is always going to be a subjective measure
(eg. Early days there weren’t that many teams and only a couple of competitive teams with the rest making up the numbers). That by and large just needs to be accepted for what it was.

So what was ‘the league’?

For me, because the VFL was a rogue split from the VFA, it was a brand new league and in direct competition with the original association (VFA). If by coincidence those rogue teams had previously won vfa premierships, then sure that’s part of that clubs individual history, but separable to the entities in each competition.

The evolution of vfl to afl was a planned expansion of the same league, so I don’t see the need to start again with records. Same league, so the history is relevant.

VFA to vfl is just a name change. The subsequent affiliations didn’t join the two histories together. You can’t tie them back together because then you have all of Port Melbourne’s flags on the same list as Collingwood’s, but you can’t do that because they didn’t compete. The bulldogs have won 2 afl/vfl flags and 11 vfa/vfl flags. That’s a rich part of their individual history, but they haven’t won 13 afl/vfl/vfa flags.

So I’m comfortable with the afl/vfl premiership records starting from 1897 (with the bomber’s the initial champs) to the present. Nothing else makes logical sense to me.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Gibbs dropped again by the Crows. Might as well do a Cloke and return to Cartoon.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Carlton and ex GWS player Jarrod Pickett have mutually agreed to part ways.

Another winner from SOS (who is whispered to also be leaving Carlton!)

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
tigertim said:
Carlton and ex GWS player Jarrod Pickett have mutually agreed to part ways.

Another winner from SOS (who is whispered to also be leaving Carlton!)

The thing about SOS and his GWS retreads is that he's made the same mistakes twice - once when he was the recruiter for GWS, and again when trading for them with the Blues.