Carltony | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carltony

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I was brought up in a long term Tiger supporting household , dating back to Jack Dyer days. It was pre requisite to love Richmond and hate Collingwood , the rest could please themselves. The Carlton hatred grew from the fact that we played each other so much in finals and big games. Big Nick lying to get Neville Crowe suspended in 1967 was up there with the Kennedy assassination in my family . But our Collingwood hatred is in the blood.

I don't read the Big Footy site much. Too much angst and parochial "my club is better than your club "stuff for me . But i read it for a while last night and was fascinated by the fact that there are enormous threads on both the Richmond and Carlton sections discussing round 1 and some major baiting of each group of supporters. I was thinking that maybe Carlton has replaced Collingwood at the top of our hatred scale .

I was wondering of people here believed. Would you take a win over Carlton ahead of Collingwood and why is there so many supporters of both clubs placing so much on Round 1 ?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Re: Carlton

Carlton have always been my #1 most hated side. Beating them is better than beating anyone else IMO. Hate the bastards. Why ? Because my father instilled 2 things into me when it came to footy. We were Tigers, we hate Carlton. It was fairly easy to grasp as a 3yo.

Round 1 is now ours I guess. It's become the AFLs opening game of the season so while not a blockbuster, we know the footy starved public will all be watching the first round. There is pride at stake and we have a fair bit to regain in Rd 1 clashes.

Reactions: 1 user

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au

Carlton have overtaken Collingwood in the hatred stakes in my books....not by much, but they are now public enemy no.1 and have been for the past 5 years or so...

I think round 1 has a bit to do with it, particularly with us getting flogged by them in the past few years...with both clubs rebuilding their lists after consistent bottom 4 finishes, I think Richmond and to a lesser extent carlton supporters feel we're in direct competition with each other...

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004

Carlton have always been navy's most despised rival since he was 6 years old watching the 82' GF.

No-one's got close to be honest, near all navy's best mates are supporters of the smug bastards.

Collingwood & West Coast are next on navy's list a long way behind.

Oct 20, 2006
MelBun

Sintiger said:
I was brought up in a long term Tiger supporting household , dating back to Jack Dyer days. It was pre requisite to love Richmond and hate Collingwood , the rest could please themselves. The Carlton hatred grew from the fact that we played each other so much in finals and big games. Big Nick lying to get Neville Crowe suspended in 1967 was up there with the Kennedy assassination in my family . But our Collingwood hatred is in the blood.

I don't read the Big Footy site much. Too much angst and parochial "my club is better than your club "stuff for me . But i read it for a while last night and was fascinated by the fact that there are enormous threads on both the Richmond and Carlton sections discussing round 1 and some major baiting of each group of supporters. I was thinking that maybe Carlton has replaced Collingwood at the top of our hatred scale .

I was wondering of people here believed. Would you take a win over Carlton ahead of Collingwood and why is there so many supporters of both clubs placing so much on Round 1 ?

I would normally prefer to beat Carlton than Collingwood. The only complicating factor is that beating Collingwood means we have beaten a top side. I definitley 'hate' all things Carlton a lot more than Collingwood.

Rd1 is pretty important to our season. We play so many good teams early that if we don't win that game we could easily be 1 win from 4 or even 8 games. Then it's also that it's just Carlton....

HellsTiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 15, 2004

collingwood for me by a long way, I hate everything about the skunks. If we loose in a certain round, the pain is eased a bit if the Heckle & Jekyls also loose. I have no recollection of Sept in the years 2010 & 1990.

LeighW

Tiger Matchwinner
May 10, 2004
Narre Warren

I have a hatred of Carlton that burns deeper than Collingwood, but only just. Crowey incident, tanking incident, the smug "16 premierships" line my sister in laws always spit out, their stupid song, their cheating ways

Ok need to stop before I explode

Reactions: 1 user

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007

Collingwood then daylight for me. I hate them with a passion.

And we are going to have to put up with the reigning premiers talk from their feral, bottom feeding supporters for at least another 6 months. The fact that Eddie McGuire is their president doesn't help things either.

U2Tigers

Tiger Legend
Nov 10, 2005
Adelaide

Carlton.

I despise them. cheating scabs. not one think i like about them. Daylight 2nd.

Collingwood ATM, I do admire how they play their footy.

Colonel

Tiger Matchwinner
May 22, 2007

Carlton by far and away are my most hated team

I don't think i can even describe my feelings for the maggot, scum, tossers

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

My most hated club by a country mile is Carlton. Ever since I was a child growing up their supporters have given me the sh!ts. They are arrogant but clueless at the same time. Next time we play them just try and listen to some of the rubbish that comes out of their mouths. At first you want to laugh but then you just feel like giving them an upper cut just to shut them up!!!

When I hear Da dara dara......................my ear drums begin to bleed!

My most hated teams in order;

1) Carlton
2) Essendon
3) Collingwood
4) St. Kilda
5) Western Bulldogs
6) Hawthorn

The rest I dont even care about!

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

I hate the Blues and the Bombers the most. It's all to do with their supporters that I know.

The Pies and North Sellthem are next on the list for me.

Bring on round one. I would love to see the look on those cocky Blues supporters when we beat them.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne

Ok, the list of clubs that I detest and why:

Collingwood. My first hate. When you grow up in Melbourne's inner North, nearly everyone you know barracks for them. I came from a non-footballing family and my first footy experience was being taken to the 1967 Granny by a Collingwood-supporting neighbour who would buy a fistful of finals tickets each year but always had excess tickets if her Maggies weren't playing, which was quite often. I was the lucky recipient of her generosity on more than one occasion.

That kinda made me a Tiger for life. It also made me the only boy in my Primary school class who didn't barrack for Collingwood. As they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Carlton were my next hate. The rivalry of the 1972, 1973 and 1982 years ensured that this particular little puppy grew into a vicious animal. It didn't take long for it to overtake my hate for the Magpies, especially as the black-and-white could never beat anyone when it really counted.

Then Sheedy moved to Essendon, started winning flags and gave me someone new to hate for a while. Hating Essendon is a bit like hating Collingwood. As long as they are thereabouts without causing any damage, who cares? Unfortunately, they occasionally have done some damage.

Hawthorn have annoyed me over the last forty years because they have done a bit too much winning and there is nothing worse that having to put up with cocky, Private school educated ferals when they go all smug and start using big words that they don't really understand.

Melbourne fans are like Hawthorn fans without anything to be smug about.

The rest?

Most interstate fans live interstate, so they are harmless enough, even when they win. Most Geelong fans live around Sleepy Hollow so as long as you don't holiday in Torquay two weeks after they win the flag they are in the same boat.

The Bulldogs have plenty of bite but no bark, making them difficult to hate.

If you look up the word harmless in the Urban dictionary, there is a photo of a St Kilda fan walking home, looking dejected.

That leaves North Melbourne. Its a bit hard to hate something that barely exists. Does anyone hate kickboxing buddhists, intelligent Miss World contestants, Prius-driving petrol-heads or Indie bands with decent songs?

Carlton it is, by a long, long way.

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland

I started off hating Melbourne the worst. The first Grand Final I saw was the 1960 when Melbourne thrashed Collingwood.

We lived in Hawthorn and a lot of the kids barracked for them, Richmond was a chopping block for the first half of the sixties and by 1963 Hawthorn was the top of my hate list. I got to see them lose at the 3rd grand final I had attended. >:D

Since 1967 it has been Carlton.

I've never minded Collingwood winning except when it was against us. Quite a few relatives on my Dad's side go for Collingwood as they grew up living there. My Dad went to St Ignatius school about the same time as Jack Dyer. It was probably compulsory to barrack for Richmond if you went there.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Eat the rich said:
This should bring a tear to your eye Sinbad

http://media.theage.com.au/sport/sports-hq/blues-bustup-a-preseason-tradition-2173324.html?from=newsbox

The blues for their Arrogant gormless supprters, and the clubs cheating recidivism,

Collingwood for their feral bigotry.

Essendon for reasons so eloquently provided by their behaviour over the last 12 months.
Even their own players hate Carlton ;D . Looks like the Blues are ahead on the hatred scale so far. I am a little surprised . Don't get me wrong I hate them too but this thread has really open up some wounds it seems !!

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002

Carlton & Collingwood-Honestly i can,t seperate them for different reasons but in the end add up to the same.
Carlton-I put it down to the Neville Crowe incident and the rivialry that was built while i was growing up in the late 60,s through to the early 80,s.
Collingwood-The perception that their fans go on about in regards to being the most succesful club in the comp.Hold on what is it now? 2 Flags in over 50yrs[since 58].They seem to measure success by actually making a GF not just on winning it.Arrogant Bogans.

Essendon-They think their *smile* don,t stink.It took a former Tiger to get where they are Today.I believe in History repeating itself with the roles in reverse.Yes people the planets are aligned.RFC almost 2 decades of Finals football.[EFC:Almost 2 decades of no finals football.].Former Tiger Sheedy takes over Ess.A backpocket player.[2.1/2 decades of finals football].RFC in that time the reverse to Ess..RFC appoint Hardwick[Sheedy clone if ever i seen one].{EFC in dissaray after sacking Sheedy,Knights and appoint A Fav son in Hird].Hello KB....I really do think History will repeat itself.

They are the main 3.Really don,t give a toss about the others.

Ruby

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 31, 2006

Hate both (passionately).

Other teams don't even register (on the hate scale)

My reasons for hating Colonwood and Carlscum summed up in my post on this issue last year.

http://www.puntroadend.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=41192.msg1155277#msg1155277

I'm going on Saturday night. Only reason I would stay around to watch the Colonwood and Carlscum game is to watch (and pray) for injuries. Pity both teams can't lose.

B1 and B2

Richo & The Twins
Mar 6, 2007

I despise equally Carlton and Essendon.

Carlton for all the reasons everyone else has listed, cheating, arrogant da da da da da b**tards.
Essendon because all the supporters I know have this belief that its Essendon’s god given right to be in the finals every year.
By the way my wife barracks for Carlton as does Twin # 2, makes like sorta difficult at times.

B1