Carlton break ties with Northern Blues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Carlton break ties with Northern Blues

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
This is the start of the end for the VFL.

“UPDATE: Carlton has cut ties with its VFL team the Northern Blues. They become one of the casualties of the COVID-19 cost-cutting measures.

Carlton has parted ways with VFL coach Josh Fraser. As the fallout from the coronavirus continues, the Blues today made the difficult call to terminate Fraser’s contract.

Carlton is now in meetings over the future of its wider involvement in the Northern Blues program as the financial reality hits home for AFL clubs.

Fraser, a former No.1 draft pick who played 218 games for Collingwood and Gold Coast, was appointed Northern Blues coach in 2015.

The ex-ruckman had earlier spent two years as the senior coach of Gold Coast’s reserves side in the North East Australian Football League.

Like the AFL, the VFL and all other state leagues are suspended until May 31, putting enormous pressure on some clubs.

Ten of the 15 VFL teams are either direct reserves teams for AFL sides, or affiliates.”

One thing everyone will learn from this experience is how bloated everything is, from AFL club playing lists, to the amount of staff each club has to the amount of staff employed by AFL.

I reckon come 2021 playing lists will reduce, the VFL as a “reserves” comp will be no longer, the amount of staff at each club and the AFL will reduce and quite possibly no more AFLW.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
The VFL needs to go back to being the VFA and get away from AFL joint ventures before its completely destroyed if its isnt already.

Prahran, Springvale, Dandenong, Oakleigh, Brunswick, Sunshine, Camberwell, and now has to be question marks over the Mighty Bullants with Coburg struggling and alsoFrankston hanging by a thread.

Some big Association clubs amongst that list.

Shame.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Bit *smile* by Carlton i reckon. they teamed up with Preston, then had them change their name from Preston to the Northern Bullants then to the Northern Blues, now they have dumped them mid-seaon, effectively killing them off.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Bit *smile* by Carlton i reckon. they teamed up with Preston, then had them change their name from Preston to the Northern Bullants then to the Northern Blues, now they have dumped them mid-seaon, effectively killing them off.

Agreed.