Caro called out, Footy Classified | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caro called out, Footy Classified

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Caro got on her soapbox last night and was scathing on Sports bet, the Afl and TV stations regarding sport bet advertising and in particular the Ben Johnson ad.

Hutchy then proposed that if she felt that strongly then she should refuse to write for the Age if there were sports bet ads on the same page as her articles.

Caro then made some feeble excuse and had no answer for Hutchy.

While I didn't watch the earlier part I read a article that Caro suggested that Dusty's manager was shopping him around to other clubs.

Apparently Dusty's tweet was it was "Fake News" by Caro.

Caro had a very poor night last night and Hutchy caught her out on her hypocrisy of the highest order.

E

easy_tiger

yandb said:
Caro got on her soapbox last night and was scathing on Sports bet, the Afl and TV stations regarding sport bet advertising and in particular the Ben Johnson ad.

Hutchy then proposed that if she felt that strongly then she should refuse to write for the Age if there were sports bet ads on the same page as her articles.

Caro then made some feeble excuse and had no answer for Hutchy.

While I didn't watch the earlier part I read a article that Caro suggested that Dusty's manager was shopping him around to other clubs.

Apparently Dusty's tweet was it was "Fake News" by Caro.

Caro had a very poor night last night and Hutchy caught her out on her hypocrisy of the highest order.

dunno about the Dusty bit, but I agree 100% with Caro on the sportbet ad.

Its cynical and gob-smackingly dumb for the bookies to be drawing attention, indeed glorifying, match fixing and cheating in sport.

The fact that Caro's employer runs sprotbet ads isnt a contradiction all. Ive always worked for blokes who do all sorts of stuff I dont agree with. I worked for a bloke who barracked for Carlton and voted Liberal once.

The old hypocracy sniping (I call it 'sneering at a vegetarian's leather shoes') is an unsophisticated, simplistic standpoint, that always gets a rowsing 'yeah' amongst unsophisticated and simple audiences. Like Hutcho's.

I'm just about as far from a wowser as you can legally get, and my view is the Ben johnson Ad is roman empire stuff for the gambling industry. It signals the end of The Tom Waterhouse normalisation of gambling era IMO.

Xenaphone's gonna come down on 'em like a tonnof bricks. and so he *smile*n should

whoever thinks the ad is harmless and a bit funny, fair enough. But ask yourself honestly if you'de view it the same, if it was Jobe Watson getting paid a sh!tload to say 'whatever it takes .... Sportsbet'.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
easy said:
dunno about the Dusty bit, but I agree 100% with Caro on the sportbet ad.

Its cynical and gob-sm ackingly dumb for the bookies to be drawing attention, indeed glorifying, match fixing and cheating in sport.

The fact that Caro's employer runs sprotbet ads isnt a contradiction all. Ive always worked for blokes who do all sorts of stuff I dont agree with. I worked for a bloke who barracked for Carlton and voted Liberal once.

The old hypocracy sniping (I call it 'sneering at a vegetarian's leather shoes') is an unsophisticated, simplistic standpoint, that always gets a rowsing 'yeah' amongst unsophisticated and simple audiences. Like Hutcho's.

I'm just about as far from a wowser as you can legally get, and my view is the Ben johnson Ad is roman empire stuff for the gambling industry. It signals the end of The Tom Waterhouse normalisation of gambling era IMO.

Xenaphone's gonna come down on 'em like a tonnof bricks. and so he *smile*n should

whoever thinks the ad is harmless and a bit funny, fair enough. But ask yourself honestly if you'de view it the same, if it was Jobe Watson getting paid a sh!tload to say 'whatever it takes .... Sportsbet'.

Agree easy-man well I think I do ;

Caro can't be held responsible for other articles or adverts that the paper place near her articles - Hutchie has no idea and never has

Sooner we clear out the gambling (adds at least) from our sports the better

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
year of the tiger said:
Agree easy-man well I think I do ;

Caro can't be held responsible for other articles or adverts that the paper place near her articles - Hutchie has no idea and never has

Sooner we clear out the gambling (adds at least) from our sports the better

When someone gets on their soap box and preaches that others take a stance and when questioned whether she will take the stance in her situation and baulks at it is Hypocracy.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
year of the tiger said:

Why not? As an individual you can make any stand you wish. She clearly is fine with gambling if it pays her wage in the form of advertising but is all over everyone else if she doesn't agree with it. As others say hypocritical, but most media personalities are these days.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
The flipside is she is gutsy because she is speaking out against businesses who advertise with Fairfax because she could lose her job. People always whinge and say 'they won't speak out because they know where their bread is buttered', well, she knows where her bread is buttered, and she is still speaking out.

Its one of the oldest and perennially unsolveable and variable debates in politics, are you better off agitating for change inside the tent or outside the tent?

Dunno if Hutchy would be aware of that pretty simple concept mind you.

chislop

I AM a llama!
Nov 11, 2003
Great, another "gotchya" moment by the Caro bashers. Basing assumptions on fixed pairs of binary opposites means a lazy argument. But keep going lads, after all, AFL still isn't 'really' a place for women commentators. Thanks goodness Hutchy pointed out the error of her ways, even though I think at that point, she gave up trying to explain because her colleagues were clearly too stupid to understand. The gambling advertising ban before 8.30pm is just a start. She can still chip away at getting gambling ads off our media pages. But that doesn't suit some people's narrative. Carry on.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Spot on Go Toigs. Of course logic suggests that Caro is wrong because she's a female journalist but Dusty is telling the 'truth' because he's a male Richmond footballer.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Ban, censor, tuck it away so the kids won't find out. Doesn't work - like smoking and alcohol, many kids will try it on.

As long as gambling, alcohol and drugs are legal banning and censoring is a losing and hypocritical battle.
We have a public holiday for a horse race - not to mention movies and heroes. Phar Lap is in the museum etc

Gambling is here to stay so educate don't censure. Treat the kids with some respect and empower them - oh that's right people are too stupid for that.
Well those that are too stupid are not going to be stopped by censuring or banning, it has never worked , so get real.
Stop pontificating and start educating.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Tigers of Old said:
Spot on Go Toigs. Of course logic suggests that Caro is wrong because she's a female journalist but Dusty is telling the 'truth' because he's a male Richmond footballer.

What has female got to do with anything - give it a rest..!!

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Merveille said:
Ban, censor, tuck it away so the kids won't find out. Doesn't work - like smoking and alcohol, many kids will try it on.

As long as gambling, alcohol and drugs are legal banning and censoring is a losing and hypocritical battle.
We have a public holiday for a horse race - not to mention movies and heroes. Phar Lap is in the museum etc

Gambling is here to stay so educate don't censure. Treat the kids with some respect and empower them - oh that's right people are too stupid for that.
Well those that are too stupid are not going to be stopped by censuring or banning, it has never worked , so get real.

I think you'll find a fair swag of data that says it does work Merv. Advertising that is, the more ads, the more sales. That's why they do it. The flipside is less ads, less sales.

And besides, banning advertising promotion of products that have negative impacts is different to banning the products themselves.

E

easy_tiger

I hate corporate bookmakers, I hate gaming advertising, I hate everything about gambling.

except doing it.

I, like every other person who eats and sh!ts, am a hypocrite.

my point being, like everything, there are degrees of hypocracy. Im pretty *smile*in' hypocritical. Always have been.

But Caro's in this instance is way, way down the left hand end of the spectrum. If Caro was a convicted steroid dealer with a sportsbet account with a $1m limit and was married to Florence Joyner, she'd be up the right hand side of the spectrum.

People who call out semantic, small-scale hypocracy in argument are most often, in my experience, lacking the cognitive horsepower to come up with a decent counter. Which is kind of OK. people who arent very smart have a right to argue.

Its hard to argue that hiring a disgraced, steroid-taking, cheating, 'sportsman' to promote an Android platform for a bookie under the slogan 'putting the 'roid into android', isnt witty.

and its very, very difficult to mount a case that its good for society. Which is why they trot out the flimsy hypocrite chestnut.

like I said, i think this one will morally sort itself out. The bookie spivs are getting bold. The havoc they are reeking on Australian society is statistically clear. A ballsy lawmaker will ban gaming advertising pretty soon.

E

easy_tiger

Merveille said:

what do you mean? teach kids how to watch gambling ads properly in primary school?

corporates dont pay for Ads just cause they want their mates to guffaw at the polo club. They do it so more people give 'em money.

more ads=more money. hardly rocket surgery to take the leap that less ads=less money, which means shoes for the little kiddies, instead of cocaine for William Hill.

I dont like to polarise things too much, but i think this one is ripe for the polarising.

Sportsbet has polarised 'emselves here by hiring Ben Johnson. maybe deliberate? dunno. But I'll bet you $20 it bites 'em

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Banning anything that involves peaceful cooperation and does not physically invade the private property of others is pointless. Merveille is spot on. It might be morally wrong to gamble your family's food money eazy e, but not all immoral acts should involve the use of violence to control.

E

easy_tiger

Giardiasis said:
It might be morally wrong to gamble your family's food money eazy e,

Its morally wrong for me to let my kids eat cheap cuts, by not taking from the bookies bags Gia :hihi

uh oh, ive inadvertently got myself on the race, religion and politics board.

I respectfully withdraw fellas.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Giardiasis said:
Banning anything that involves peaceful cooperation and does not physically invade the private property of others is pointless. Merveille is spot on. It might be morally wrong to gamble your family's food money eazy e, but not all immoral acts should involve the use of violence to control.

Restricting the amount of gambling advertising is a violent act, how? Oh because if a media outlet defys the ban the state will send in the miltary? Or the TV exec will be manhandled to the courts/ prison? Yeah strong argument G.