Casey throws weight behind Frawley (AFL website) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Casey throws weight behind Frawley (AFL website)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
12:59:20 PM Thu 14 August, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

Richmond president Clinton Casey has again come out in total support of embattled coach Danny Frawley, saying he is clearly the best man to lead the club into the future.

Frawley is under enormous pressure from frustrated Tigers’ supporters with the club having won just 14 of its past 41 games since losing the 2001 preliminary final to Brisbane.

Last season the club crashed to 14th position with just seven wins while this year – despite winning six of the first eight games - the Tigers are unlikely to finish any higher than 12th after having won just one of their past 11 games.

However Casey said Frawley, who is contracted until the end of 2004, not only had the respect of all the players but had a better understanding of the abilities of each individual player at Richmond and the entire list than “any other person.”

In the following extract of an interview published in full on richmondfc.com.au, Casey also admitted the club had 'to generate further excitement among our fans by recruiting and developing more quality young players' but maintained Frawley was definitely the right man to lead the club.

Understandably, I suppose, we are copping our fair share of flak from outside the Club right now. While some would have you believe that we are a bit shaky and vulnerable, I want to assure our members and supporters that, from the inside, the resolve is strong and the group is rock-solid.

Danny Frawley has been with this group of players for the last four years and has a better understanding of each individual player, and the overall list, than any other person.

He undoubtedly has the players' respect and he's had the opportunity to see each of them at their best and worst, and under different levels of intensity. We firmly believe he is now in the best position to critically assess our list and understand the type of players that we need to recruit in order to be consistently competitive with the top teams of the competition.

In short, Danny Frawley has a contract to fulfil with the Richmond Football Club, and he will be fully supported, to give him the best chance to achieve his plan and bring sustainable improvement to the playing list.

(Casey added that the Club's Football Department, which underwent significant change at the end of last season, was well equipped to assist Frawley in making the necessary changes to the playing list in this year's draft and trade period).

Let me assure you, they are under no illusions as to what they need to show us, starting with the trade period and draft in the next couple of months. They have to prove that they have the capacity to deliver on their plan and to add to the young talent we already have, through the likes of Coughlan, Krakouer, Newman, Rodan, Zantuck, Chaffey and Ottens.

Those players are the future of the Richmond Football Club. We must generate further excitement among our fans by recruiting and developing more quality young players and I'm extremely confident our experienced off-field team will deliver on their promises.

(Casey also sought to clarify a comment he made in an interview with the Herald-Sun early this week that - 'the performance on the weekend - against St Kilda - only highlighted the fact that we're on the right track, and we will get it done').

It was meant in the context that the style of play, types of players and the lack of intensity that was evident at Telstra Dome last Saturday night, have all been identified as issues we need to rectify at the end of this season," Casey said.

"All the worst elements which led to that insipid performance were clear to see and when those essential changes are made, we will be on the right track."

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
What a load of crap!!! Time for an overthrow of the board, I would of thought!!!
Thats if the ferals could even be bothered. Years of mediocrity is expected, so you just shrug your shoulders and say who cares when you here weary statements like these.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Good to hear someone at the club knows how to use the word 'insipid' in context!!

Now let's see if ANYTHING spud or ANYONE can say to make them put up a fight for the rest of the year and maybe cost us draft possie or two. ::)

Play the kids, try a few things like players in different positions etc (as was mentioned in 'spuds'(?) article) but for gods sake release the shackles man!! Give the kids a licence to run and create and back themselves tell them that you believe in them and if they make a mistake then thats ok but stress that they must learn from those mistakes. DO SOMETHING anyway!

Laff

September showers
Dec 19, 2002
I think Paul maley is the only one spot on the money BLIND FAITH

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
mightytiges said:
Those players are the future of the Richmond Football Club. We must generate further excitement among our fans by recruiting and developing more quality young players and I'm extremely confident our experienced off-field team will deliver on their promises.

Exactly how out of touch has our Club been?

You can only assume that RFC has not understand its own supporters in the past. It seems all of that is now changing. And about time too.

On generating excitement amongst fans, when we received the renewal for 2002 memberships, I couldn't believe that they had pictures of Campbo, Richo, Otto and Gas as part of the marketing of the package.

What I, and no doubt others, would have preferred to see was more of the future.

To me, that marketing was tired and totally uninspired work on behalf of the marketing department. No points for effort there.

P.S.: No disrespect to those players.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
mightytiges said:
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

However Casey said Frawley, who is contracted until the end of 2004, not only had the respect of all the players but had a better understanding of the abilities of each individual player at Richmond and the entire list than “any other person.”

I am getting really sick of Clinton and Greg Miller etc telling us how Spud has the respect of all the players.

It's as though if they keep telling us that it will eventually come true.

In my opinion if Spud had such respect the players would bust their guts for him.

It doesn't matter if he knows more about the players than anyone else if he can't get his message through to him.

Danny told us last week that our game plan is kicking it long and quickly into our tall forwards.

(Despite the fact the week before he spoke of the plan to grind the game out against the Saints)

If Spud knows the players so well and has their utmost respect how come the game they plays resembles Kicking long and direct into the forward line as much as I resemble Miss World, ha.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
mightytiges said:
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

(Casey also sought to clarify a comment he made in an interview with the Herald-Sun early this week that - 'the performance on the weekend - against St Kilda - only highlighted the fact that we're on the right track, and we will get it done').

It was meant in the context that the style of play, types of players and the lack of intensity that was evident at Telstra Dome last Saturday night, have all been identified as issues we need to rectify at the end of this season," Casey said.

"All the worst elements which led to that insipid performance were clear to see and when those essential changes are made, we will be on the right track."

That comment would just about have to be the worst media comment I have heard in a long time and shows how far off the mark they are.