CFA-Guardian angels of our state | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

CFA-Guardian angels of our state

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm very nervous and feel pretty useless here at the moment.  There's a big fire out of control a couple of k's from here and my men are at it.  It's a flare up of one started by lightning during the week but has split and is spreading rapidly. The mid-40-s heat and strong north winds aren't helping.

It was music to my ears to hear the helicopters go over just now.  They are the only hope of containing it.

I'd be there too but we have little 4 week old puppies dehydrating and dogs freaking out.....and I'm not overly keen on the extremely steep terrain. 

I'd love to put all the sprinklers on and saturate the place but I don't trust the pump not to start a fire.  That happened when my husband was an 8yo boy and he couldn't stop it.  Burnt out the whole district and 10's of thousands of livestock.

I've filled every bucket I can find with water and might go and put a ladder at the verandah now so I can get up and protect the roof if need be.

I might try and muster all the pet sheep, and goat, into the orchard to save time if things get worse too.

Anyway just wanted to spare a thought for the volunteers who fight so hard, in trying conditions, to protect our properties.

They really are unsung heroes.

Take care and stay safe everyone and please be aware of the dangers of fires and obey fire restrictions.

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
Gee Rosy, our thoughts are with you and the fire boys up there. Keep a keen eye on it and play it safe ok. Sounds like you have taken all the preventative measures already which is good to hear. Hope you have got good clearance from the bushlands around your place. Take good care Rosie.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks Tubs..at the moment the biggest worry for our property would be embers starting spot fires. Fingers crossed the wind will die down. Am more concerned for friends closer to it but am greatly relieved that the helicopters have arrived. They do an amazing job.

Tubytiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 14, 2004
Fully understand what your saying Rosie - the embers ahead of the fires can be catastrophic. Those CFA guys and the copter men must bring tears of joy to those in danger in such times. Just you and your family and pets keep safe young lady.

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
Hope you all are okay Rosy.

I still have vivid memories of bushfires where my parents used to live. Dad was watching the fire on a mountain range a few kilometres away. It was jumping 2 or 3 k's at a time because of embers blowing.

Thank God for the CFA and SES.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I always alternate my supermarket points between the CFA and the SES.

Just had a call to say they think the fires are contained now but they don't expect to be home before 8-9 tomorrow morning.

I feel guilty here swimming and having iced drinks while everyone else is out in such terrible conditions.

It's cooled down a tad at least....only 40 in the shade on the verandah now. :eek:

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The fires in the Western District must be terrifying. Very sad so many have lost their homes. A 27km front is massive and I hope weather conditions are more favourable for the firefighters to get it under control today.

My fellas got home about 1 when a relief crew took over and were gone again around daylight. I've never been so relieved to see car lights come up the track. I was starting to get a galloping imagination.

Tankers and volunteers have come from over 100 k's away. It's great how everyone kicks in when help is needed. There were dozens of tankers plus 2 helicopters and a fire plane yesterday.

The fires are still burning but classed as 'contained' now so hopefully the wind will stay away and not fan them up again and spread embers that start spot fires elsewhere.

tigericho

Dangerous if Provoked
May 21, 2005
"Fond memories of the 5 CFA Volunteers who died at Linton several years ago"

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
They were just saying on the ABC that they are concerned about the wind change around Stawell and Great Western.  A 27km front is frightening.  We were all dragged out of Puckapunyal many, many years ago to fight a fire burning on a 14 mile front and I've never been so scared in all my life.  We got a new set of kit when we got back to camp - even boots.  Wish we'd had helicopter assistance back then.

Hope everything's now OK in your neck of the woods, Rosy.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'd appreciate a favour if anybody would be kind enough to help out please.  My dodgy computer won't open this CFA fire review site.

My daughter is in Yarra Glen and needs to get home but I believe the road between Yea and Glenburn is closed due to fires and I'm just wondering if there are any reports on the status of the fire on the cfa site if anyone could check please..

the golden

former hawk cheersquad feral : D
Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
rosy said:
I'm very nervous and feel pretty useless here at the moment.  There's a big fire out of control a couple of k's from here and my men are at it.  It's a flare up of one started by lightning during the week but has split and is spreading rapidly. The mid-40-s heat and strong north winds aren't helping.

It was music to my ears to hear the helicopters go over just now.  They are the only hope of containing it.

I'd be there too but we have little 4 week old puppies dehydrating and dogs freaking out.....and I'm not overly keen on the extremely steep terrain. 

I'd love to put all the sprinklers on and saturate the place but I don't trust the pump not to start a fire.  That happened when my husband was an 8yo boy and he couldn't stop it.  Burnt out the whole district and 10's of thousands of livestock.

I've filled every bucket I can find with water and might go and put a ladder at the verandah now so I can get up and protect the roof if need be.

I might try and muster all the pet sheep, and goat, into the orchard to save time if things get worse too.

Anyway just wanted to spare a thought for the volunteers who fight so hard, in trying conditions, to protect our properties.

They really are unsung heroes.

Take care and stay safe everyone and please be aware of the dangers of fires and obey fire restrictions.
good luck to you and your friends and best wishes got the the guys and girls fighting the fires

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/
for all information on current fires etc

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/joining/index.htm
for joining them

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/about/supportingcfa.htm#donations
and ways to go about giving donations

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks golden. I know the addresses, I just can't open them. I was hoping someone could click on the link in my post and let me know if it mentions anything about the Yea fire.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks golden you're probably right. Think I'll get an emergency services radio next week so I can follow what's happening when there are fires around

We'd travelled approx 90 mins from here yesterday when we got a call that there were 2 fires near our farm. Had to turn around and come home straight away, especially as my husband was on fire duty. Thankfully both were put out without causing too much damage.

the golden

former hawk cheersquad feral : D
Nov 20, 2004
in the gold
s6.invisionfree.com
rosy said:
Thanks golden you're probably right.  Think I'll get an emergency services radio next week so I can follow what's happening when there are fires around

We'd travelled approx 90 mins from here yesterday when we got a call that there were 2 fires near our farm.  Had to turn around and come home straight away, especially as my husband was on fire duty.  Thankfully both were put out without causing too much damage.
good news well i hope there will more good news and no more fires!

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Thanks to all who looked up info for me and sent messages. It's really appreciated. :hearton

The Melba Highway is still closed but my daughter and her b/f got home safely through the black spur. Was a relief to hear the dogs bark as their car came up the track.

We had extreme winds last night and a power blackout. It was scarey in the dark smelling the smoke. It seemed so close. In fact I couldn't sleep so sat out on the verandah looking for red glows.

There have been several fires around here and they are concerned with them getting away again with bad conditions forecast for the next few days.

It's total fire ban here again today and it's expected to be in the 40's for the next few days.

It's times like this I almost wish I lived in town......almost but not quite.