Change to the National Anthem | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Change to the National Anthem

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The topic of changing the NA has arisen again but this time it’s to change just one word: “young“ to “one”

So we are ONE and free.

IMO if something as insignificant as changing a word aids the indig then by all means change it.

I find the notion of national anthems a bit anachronistic personally. I don’t disrespect our NA but I don’t put a lot of value on it either.

Its just a song.

Reactions: 7 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
agree 100%.

Ditching 'young' is a no brainer.

I'd like them to replace 'Girt by' with 'choccas with' as well

my mother-in-law wouldnt even try 'girt' on in scrabble.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Have never been overly enamoured with Advance Australia Fair. I'd be ok if they changed our National Anthem to Paul Kelly's - From Little Things Big Things Grow.

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
i'd like to replace the entire National Anthem.
with something better.
and that wouldn't be hard.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
i'd like to replace the entire National Anthem.
with something better.
and that wouldn't be hard.
Need to time that push carefully. Howard or Abbott as PM and we would end up with God Save The Queen again.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It's a dirge, like most National Anthems.

Dump it, for anything really.

Something written by an indigenous Australian would be good, plus, not a dirge!

DS

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
The anthem doesn't say much. It's broad and non-specific and meanders around themes of things looking nice and having the potential to be turned into a few quid for the diligent.
Except for the word 'young'. Which is cold-hearted and just not fun to sing.
If we change it to 'one' it'll be a genuine piece of lyrical muzak, which is fine by me as I think it reflects a healthy ambivalence to nationalistic palaver. We might get a few bitter types singing 'young' at full voice to make a point, of course.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The topic of changing the NA has arisen again but this time it’s to change just one word: “young“ to “one”

So we are ONE and free.

IMO if something as insignificant as changing a word aids the indig then by all means change it.

I find the notion of national anthems a bit anachronistic personally. I don’t disrespect our NA but I don’t put a lot of value on it either.

Its just a song.

Yeah, don't see the point that much. I will say our anthem is one of the most lacklustre, turgid dirges ever foisted on an unsuspecting citizenry in world history.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
All NA’s are dirges so We need something with a bit more oomph and is truly quintessential Australian:

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Another debate is the Flag .. when I lived in Australia I was opposed to changing the Aussie flag . But now I live overseas and in a tourist area . I find when most ppl see our flag they think its an English flag . From locals to european tourist all see it as a UK or an English flag .

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
I can‘t find the words ‘young‘ or ‘one’ in Khe Sanh...

• Haha

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Another debate is the Flag .. when I lived in Australia I was opposed to changing the Aussie flag . But now I live overseas and in a tourist area . I find when most ppl see our flag they think its an English flag . From locals to european tourist all see it as a UK or an English flag .
And NZ is a virtual copy. Did we go to the same Ad agency and get a discount?

(Looking at Wikipedia seems the kiwis had theirs decades before ours which only came at Federation. NZ always one entity ( after it broke away from NSW ) while we were 6 distinct colonies until 1901 each with own flag. )

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The flag is bloody awful, along with the National Anthem.

The real challenge is to come up with something better.

The Eureka Flag isn't bad but we need some part of the flag which represents the indigenous Australians. Also, the Eureka Flag is from Victoria so might cause some debate on that aspect.

DS