Changes for Prelim v geel (Friday Sept 20) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Prelim v geel (Friday Sept 20)

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
I can't see any point in two rucks against Geelong, especially if it ends up being wet (as forecast).
I think Soldo will be a late out if it's wet.
Out: Soldo, Ellis
In: Stack (if fit), Pickett, Ross

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Pickett does a lot of stuff that you dont get stats for.
If he did not play Saturday we would have lost.
Two weeks in a row has helped turn the Match....
Not so much a Match winner but certainly a momentum turner.

He certaintly has. I agree.

I've watched and been at both finals and when switched midfield predominately in the last he has been tremendous.

He gets a pre season under his belt and we have a very good player here.

J

Jumping Jack

Pickett is easily the most overrated player on our list.

And most aren't rating him.

Please discuss...

I really love his hands in tight... he’s a beautiful release handballer. This will be highlighted so much more when he plays at a higher level.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Picket needs to put in more than one good quarter per match to get a call up.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I can't see any changes being made.

In wet games we have played 2 rucks so weather is out as a reason for change. Our last 3 games have been critical and against opposition in the top 4 at the time, Ellis and Short (the main targets for conversation about dropping players) were picked for those games.

We don't like changing the team, 22 rounds of H&A to sort the best side and then we go with that, barring injuries or return from injury.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

tropicaltiger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Jan 11, 2003
cairns
Let me simplify it.

What I am saying is no matter what Ellis does well, the focus seems to always be on what he doesn't do so well.

He ran his arse off on Saturday night, especially in the second quarter and plays a huge role in shutting down and creating spread.

Is he the most comfortable bloke in a contested situation? No, neither is Houli or Short because it is not the role they are primarily in the side to play. I reckon Tom Lynch would battle if we asked him to play as an inside mid, Astbury would battle as a wingman, Prestia would be a liability as a key forward.

So Ellis can play his role, put in elite numbers of kms of hard two way running and the focus is always on the other stuff. It's like Tom Lynch kicking six and all the posts being about how he didn't win enough clearances.

Ellis was soft in the contest, Ellis got beaten one on one etc, etc....

Yes everyone needs to go when it is their turn and he occasionally battles with that, the same way Houli has, but the times when he hesitates to go are very much in the minority. Does that mean he will win contested ball contests? Probably not because he is physically presented to run high distance at high speed. He isn't in the gym trying to break bench press records, he carries less weight and strength to allow him to run.

It's already documented that Hardwick focussed too much on his weaknesses and not enough on his strengths, I reckon a lot of posters should learn the same lesson.
Ellis can play his gut running at usually around 90% game time, small fact but factor in that most of our runners/mids go at about 80% GT - jackg, cotch, dust, bash, caddy, meat, george etc
if you do the math that xtra endurance brando provides it gives us a sneaky10 more minutes rotation/rest time for nank and soldo and adds more flexability if 4 fit guys are always ready to go. bigger advantage if its wet.

Reactions: 8 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
No Change. 2 rucks worked well in the many rain impacted games late in the season. Big man feeding the running brigade is vital. Soldo improvises brilliantly, Nank can play like a ruck rover when the ball is on the ground.

No Change... just like 2017 - no change thought all 3 finals I suspect (barring injury and should we win Friday night)

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
No Change. 2 rucks worked well in the many rain impacted games late in the season. Big man feeding the running brigade is vital. Soldo improvises brilliantly, Nank can play like a ruck rover when the ball is on the ground.

No Change... just like 2017 - no change thought all 3 finals I suspect (barring injury and should we win Friday night)

Yep could argue that ruck work is even more important in the wet (if it is indeed wet - my forecaster still saying rain expected later in evening more likely overnight). Two ruckmen should force Geelong to also play Blicavs in the ruck as relief. Prefer him there than in the backline or on the wing.

Reactions: 4 users

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
home game so would HAVE to be punt road end. Ground should be yellow and black (electronic displays ) as this is our home game. Unlike 2017 when it was a cats home game.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Interesting week ahead.

If hawkins doesn’t play then ratogolea is their tall forward. We use astbury for him.
Geebong may have a plan X i dont know about.

If geebong go for the 1 tall forward then we will be happy.

Gives us the ability to use grimes and broady on smaller players.

If danger goes forward we put Grimes on him.

Danger out of the midfield makes Cotchin and Prestia smile.

Selwood should do the warm up with his head bandaged up already.

If we play soldo and nank v Stanley and Blicavs well they don’t have enough talls in defence to cover lynch Riewoldt & Nando.

Good luck Harry!

Geebong are one of 4 teams we haven’t beaten this year. The others are on holiday.
Be good to finish their season.

they have a serious issue if Hawkins doesn't get off. They will have to move Danger or Taylor forward. If Danger goes forward, its happy days for us in the guts. If Taylor goes forward, they will have to move Blicavs down back, meaning their ruck options are stuffed. We would have to seriously consider dropping Ivan for an extra runner if this occurs... especially when you factor in the weather.

I can't see any point in two rucks against Geelong, especially if it ends up being wet (as forecast).
I think Soldo will be a late out if it's wet.
Out: Soldo, Ellis
In: Stack (if fit), Pickett, Ross

are you seriously suggesting our 3 potential ins this week are all first year players? thats hilarious. If we were to drop Soldo on a horses for courses basis, I would seriously consider Menadue. i liked the look of him on the weekend. But the club might go with a bigger body such as McIntosh.

Reactions: 1 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
If it's as wet as predicted, Towner would be a good option. Ask Steve Morris about Towner's attack on the ball. Nearly broke Morris' ribs and that was just collateral damage

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
Barring an unforeseen illness or injury, there won’t be any change I wouldn’t have thought. McIntosh for Ellis is the only one and watching McIntosh on the weekend - I can’t see that happening.

We will go with two rucks regardless of the weather I think. Stanley will be pooping his pants at the thought of a Soldo/Nank duo. He likes the athletic types not the big strong tough workhorses who will just push him around and smash into him all night.