Changes for Semi | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes for Semi

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
It appears it's out of Balta (194cm/100kg) or Broad (192cm/89kg) for the second ruck role. Guessing it will be against most likely Marsh (194cm/98kg) as Battle (193cm/92kg) who has most recently helped out in the ruck when Ryder hasn't played if plays tomorrow night will most likely be carrying an injury and therefore unlikely play in the ruck.

Feb 25, 2007
With Aarts out Bolton will play his role. We have 7 mids so that's surplus. Lynch is in for Chol. Chol just too timid cannot trust him in a final again.
Saints 2nd ruck aint tall. So whether its Balta (194 cms who can jump like no 2moro giving Nank a chop out) or Broad (192 cms) height wise they will be fine. If it was Paddy and Marshall that's another story. Broad has a good motor so can hurt them around the ground (if he plays 2nd ruck).
This is an inspired change. You cannot keep Chol to what he has dished up the last 2 weeks.

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Disappointingly Mabs form left us no choice but to change a structure that's worked.
Broad in as they're worried about Membrey, Marshall & King up fwd but it also releases Balta or Broad to pinch hit in Chol's role.
Noah's looked a bit displaced with Dave back. Aartsy unlucky to drop form at the wrong time.

To change a game plan quite substantially at this point is necessary but not ideal.
The Soldo injury has required this shift in thinking.
Players returning, or playing new roles has us a touch vulnerable but we're going to have to be adaptable to get the job done.
Think we will.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
With Aarts out Bolton will play his role. We have 7 mids so that's surplus. Lynch is in for Chol. Chol just too timid cannot trust him in a final again.
Saints 2nd ruck aint tall. So whether its Balta (194 cms who can jump like no 2moro giving Nank a chop out) or Broad (192 cms) height wise they will be fine. If it was Paddy and Marshall that's another story. Broad has a good motor so can hurt them around the ground (if he plays 2nd ruck).
This is an inspired change. You cannot keep Chol to what he has dished up the last 2 weeks.
without getting ahead of ourselves, i think we also need a structure, and back up ruck, that we can use against Port, and probably the Lions (or possibly the Cats- surely the pies dont make the GF.) If what we do works we wont swap moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user

bricci

Tiger Rookie
May 7, 2004
Lynch is a direct (and far better) replacement for Chol.
We have then replaced a forward with a back/mid.
So it stands to reason that a mid will play more forward this week (expect that to be Bolton).
I like this direction, I think it gives us more flexibility.
Broad to play some back, some wing and some ruck I suspect.
I don't think Balta's role will change much but its still a possibility.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Surely has to be one of Balta or Broad? We've brought in an extra tall backman so you'd think one of them will be relief rucking.

Probably both ....................... Balta will probs ruck down back Broad will play as a ruck rover to give an extra defensive runner as well.

Or Balta will pinch hit and Broad plays back.

Reactions: 1 user

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Not sure why we are worried about selections. If we can't beat the Saints with the outs they just had then we don't deserve to be anywhere near a Grand Final

Reactions: 11 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Disappointingly Mabs form left us no choice but to change a structure that's worked.
Broad in as they're worried about Membrey, Marshall & King up fwd but it also releases Balta or Broad to pinch hit in Chol's role.
Noah's looked a bit displaced with Dave back. Aartsy unlucky to drop form at the wrong time.

To change a game plan quite substantially at this point is necessary but not ideal.
The Soldo injury has required this shift in thinking.
Players returning, or playing new roles has us a touch vulnerable but we're going to have to be adaptable to get the job done.
Think we will.
Wonder if that will be our downfall tomorrow night.

Feb 25, 2007
without getting ahead of ourselves, i think we also need a structure, and back up ruck, that we can use against Port, and probably the Lions (or possibly the Cats- surely the pies dont make the GF.) If what we do works we wont swap moving forward.

Absolutely. the goalposts have changed with Soldo out, chol who has played 2nd ruck the last two games in limited time failed...
So the MC has gone to plan B. Had Chol shined he would still be in.

The team looks stronger with Lynch and Broad in.

Reactions: 3 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Welcome back, Broady.
I'm a lot happier with his selection and the dropping of Chol.
At least there will be 22 players having a crack.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Happy with the changes.

Glad Broady's back hasn't let the side down in finals and gives some extra flexibility with what he can do has played well this season on the whole also..

Can play as a ruck rover and gives the Tigers an extra hard defensive runner who can cover ground which will assist the Wingers and will also assist Lambert and Graham.

At a pinch he can slot in down back without losing a beat, could be handy to roll onto Geary so he cant play a negative role on Grimes or Tigga.

Might not be the greatest 2nd ruck in the centre but we know one thing and that is the bloke will put it all out there for the side and will take a bashing for the cause.

Lynch is Lynch, we need a big one from him tomorrow night especially with Carlisle out he should handle Howard..

Its gonna be won or lost across the middle, their attack against our defence and slingshot counterpunch.

Last edited:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
We need to hit them early, they are front runners, like the Skunks and the Cats.

Hit them hard and put the heat on early let them know what finals are all about.

Reactions: 6 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Astute selection this week. Broad has too much experience and skill set to omit from finals footy. Surprised Caddy wasn't picked as a forward but I guess tomorrow's match is about foot speed