Changes v Crows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Crows

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Pressure is not rewarded anymore
The holding the ball frees we would get are gone as umps allow the player with the ball an eternity to dispose of it Even if they don’t It’s a ball up
We need as a team to win the contested ball and take the tackler on just like other teams do this season

And there it is.

Looks very much like we’re gunning for first use.

This will benefit us against the weaker sides and help boost %

We will probably look to revert to our standard pressure game come September though. We know it works in finals but teams have become too aggressive against our tactics in the home and away.

Honest John

Tiger Cub
Sep 12, 2020
And there it is.

We will probably look to revert to our standard pressure game come September though. We know it works in finals but teams have become too aggressive against our tactics in the home and away.
Touché. Hence Astbury's "replacement" is not like for like. We also have Baker the multi tool. I've also noticed a bit of a revolving door with our key players. The timing of Lynch and Astbury going out at this time doesn't seem totally unplanned.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Pressure is not rewarded anymore
The holding the ball frees we would get are gone as umps allow the player with the ball an eternity to dispose of it Even if they don’t It’s a ball up
We need as a team to win the contested ball and take the tackler on just like other teams do this season
Pressure was our strength.
Funny how the game has changed

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Disagree, what are you smoking?

Big difference in structural approach.

Marking forwards x 5 (Caddy, CJ, Chol, Riewoldt, Martin) rotating through there and a defensive forward dropped.
Chill man.

I just said the structure might not be that different. We've gone the same number of talls and smalls, and players that could play like for like (and have previously).

You've listed 5 'marking' forwards. Which I personally would love to see. But it's possible only two of them actually play as marking forwards, and likely at least two of them don't.

Martin will split his time, one or both of Chol and CCJ will play ruck and backline, Caddy has been playing pure mid in the VFL and is a premiership wing man.

I'm just saying it would be a big departure for Hardwick to play more than two tall forwards, and the ins don't mean he will.

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Like the changes but really hope that Caddy plays fwd. And yes I clan see he is probably there to replace Picket on the wing but he is such a dangerous fwd and much much better at it...
A caddy tackle stays tackled .
Has grunt and a hardness which is currently needed.

Reactions: 1 user

Ripplestick

Tiger Superstar
Jan 18, 2007
caddy will definitely rotate thru the wings with Kapsy and Ralphmalph.

We continue to build an adaptable team, able to be rotated thru multiple positions.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
caddy will definitely rotate thru the wings with Kapsy and Ralphmalph.

We continue to build an adaptable team, able to be rotated thru multiple positions.

Caddy is a good thin side wingman with good marking, tackling and pressure and can link up. Very capable small marking forward as well. Should see him used in these roles.

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
And there it is.

I think to an extent the forward pressure game is less relevant this year. The new rules negate this tactic. First use and ball retention is king.

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Good one :) but I meant more from Chol than CJ this game.
I know what you meant AA, just taking the mick. Although for me Mab's papers are already stamped. I have infinitely higher expectations of CCJ.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I know what you meant AA, just taking the mick. Although for me Mab's papers are already stamped. I have infinitely higher expectations of CCJ.

fair enough Mr Fudd, dunno why but I'm still not sure on CJ whereas I can't let go of Chol's athleticism and skills. Will be interesting to see how they go compared to each other tomorrow.