Changes v Crows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Crows

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
Got pretty close to that a few days back although injuries to Astbury and Lynch a surprise.
A forward line including Chol, Coleman-Jones and Riewoldt is a complete new look which is great to see.
Caddy role looks hard to figure?
not sure where we hide caddy & his leg speed...surely not wing

Reactions: 1 user

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Chol in. Good change. All those letters Redford has been sending Dimma have finally paid off.
If it doesn't work do we write directly to Redford or just give him a spray in the matchday thread?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Jeez I like our structure a lot more this week.

If Caddy, Chol, CJ and Jack all provide targets up forward we look shitloads better.

Rioli dropped too.

We’re fielding a more classical setup. Dimma and co could be unveiling this year’s ice cream flavour.

Last time I felt so good about the structure was the last half of 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Maybe Rioli needs to learn a new role, defending space just ain't the advantage it has been. He needs to be more of a crumber, possibly an outlet receiver and lots of harassing opponents. Could be a less frustrating role for him.

Agree with Carter though, liking a taller structure with the way the game is being played at the moment.

Footscray have looked good in a fair number of games this year, but their running game is vulnerable and both us and Melbourne have shown this. Having speed isn't enough on its own.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Brooklyn Tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I just hope that with all these talls coming in and likely playing fwd (even caddy plays tall) we don't just blindly bomb it to jack who wants to take a hanger from 4 crows back. Fwd line been putrid as it is. it potentially gets worse if Chol plays his usual 'CBF' attitude. Great to see Prestia back but he hasn't played for a long time.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Maybe Rioli needs to learn a new role, defending space just ain't the advantage it has been. He needs to be more of a crumber, possibly an outlet receiver and lots of harassing opponents. Could be a less frustrating role for him.
Agree, but think Rioli has recently shown more glimpses of some back to X factor improvement in his game .......
I cant help but think his foot injury is still in his head ...... when he makes an error he starts limping ....like its an excuse in his own head ....

Castagna now ..........must have photos........if no possessions, must be in for forward pressure ....where are his tackles?

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
George and Rioli have been a little insignificant this year. The forward pressure after we kick a behind is pretty much nullified by the defenders running their full measure (and some) and kicking the ball to the centre or wing, well outside the 50m arc.
watched some of last nights game and was unimpressed with what it has become. Holding players at centre bounce, throwing, long kicks forward, marks, shots at goal and then back again. Circle work . Hate it. And I am certain this game doesn’t benefit our small forwards.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Jeez I like our structure a lot more this week.

If Caddy, Chol, CJ and Jack all provide targets up forward we look shitloads better.

Rioli dropped too.

We’re fielding a more classical setup. Dimma and co could be unveiling this year’s ice cream flavour.

Last time I felt so good about the structure was the last half of 2019

I don't think our structure actually looks much different.

Lynch for CCJ = like for like downgrade
Ross for Prestia = like for like upgrade
Pickett for Cotchin = Like for like upgrade
Rioli for Bolton = Like for mostly like upgrade
Naish for Caddy = interesting
Astbury for Chol = interesting

If Caddy plays slow winger he's a like for like downgrade. If Chol plays at full back he's a like for like downgrade.

We actually have the same balance of talls and smalls, but we're a bit older, slower and heavier.

The forward line might look exactly the same, but with CCJ instead of Lynch which can't be called a win. Bolton might replace Rioli, but will probably just slot in to the mid and cycle through there.

Our midfield is definitely stronger, though it's slower. Not much different structurally.

The big question marks are what we do with Chol and Caddy. We can structure up identically to previous weeks if we want and Chol sits back. Or we can play Chol forward and shift the balance
Or we could play both Chol and Caddy forward, and really mix it up. I'd do it, but I doubt it will happen.

Either way any structural advantage hinges on Mabior Chol. Let's hope his recent good run at the lower level translates.

Reactions: 3 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012

If Caddy plays slow winger he's a like for like downgrade. If Chol plays at full back he's a like for like downgrade.

We actually have the same balance of talls and smalls, but we're a bit older, slower and heavier.

The forward line might look exactly the same, but with CCJ instead of Lynch which can't be called a win. Bolton might replace Rioli, but will probably just slot in to the mid and cycle through there.

Our midfield is definitely stronger, though it's slower. Not much different structurally.

The big question marks are what we do with Chol and Caddy. We can structure up identically to previous weeks if we want and Chol sits back. Or we can play Chol forward and shift the balance
Or we could play both Chol and Caddy forward, and really mix it up. I'd do it, but I doubt it will happen.

Either way any structural advantage hinges on Mabior Chol. Let's hope his recent good run at the lower level translates.

Disagree, what are you smoking?

Big difference in structural approach.

Marking forwards x 5 (Caddy, CJ, Chol, Riewoldt, Martin) rotating through there and a defensive forward dropped.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, the structure is not that different, some extra ruck support for Nank. Resting ruck, Chol/CJ replace Lynch.

What is different is midfield experience and quality. That will be huge.

Edit: dropping defensive forward is fair, perhaps a response to rule changes making them less effective

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Bolton plays nothing like Rioli. He’s been mostly midfield, and is a major upgrade.

Not sure the changes make us slower? Pickett and Rioli the only outs with any pace? If anything I’d argue improved ground speed. And ball movement.

This is a much better lineup, the midfield improvement is significant and IMO will prove way too good for the crows.

Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
An interesting poll would be who is likely to have the bigger influence on Sunday?

1) CJ
2) Mabior Chol
3) Neither of the above.

For what it's worth and to prove once and for all I know nothing about footy i'll say Mabs .
I’ll take the cheese sandwich

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
yeah I don't get it Zippers. People here thought we could beat Brisbane at the Gabba with no midfield, now they are scared we'll lose to Adelaide with near to our first choice midfield.
Problem is midfield are coming back from injury. Might take a little while for Prestia, Cotchin to hit their straps. Adelaide did just beat ladder leaders Melbourne for their only loss of the season and beat Geelong round 1. They're a young side so consistency is an issue but I'm not marking this down as a gimme. Definite danger game imo.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Problem is midfield are coming back from injury. Might take a little while for Prestia, Cotchin to hit their straps. Adelaide did just beat ladder leaders Melbourne for their only loss of the season and beat Geelong round 1. They're a young side so consistency is an issue but I'm not marking this down as a gimme. Definite danger game imo.

Yep, fair points lovemachine. I still can't see us losing this.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Disagree, what are you smoking?

Big difference in structural approach.

Marking forwards x 5 (Caddy, CJ, Chol, Riewoldt, Martin) rotating through there and a defensive forward dropped.
That:s a big assumption you're making. Caddy will play wing, that's where he's played his last few games. Might roll him forward on occassion. We need to cover Astbury in the backline so will be interesting ti see how we restructure. Maybe a different role for Chol. I vaguely remember him being tried there before. I think we'll be sticking to a similar forward line structure height-wise. It"s basically CCJ for Lynch and Bolton for Rioli. The one advantage now is we have genuine backup ruckmen for Nanks.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
. Definite danger game imo.
The way we've been going so far this year, I reckon every game's a danger game. At least until we can get some sort of consistent team structure up and running. Then we might get to see who's got what among the opposition.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

No way Chol plays back. He will spend a bit of time on the pine but will push into the ruck j and then forward.

We will predominantly start with Jack and CCJ up forward but at times will also have Chol up there as that third tall.

This is how we set up when both Soldo and Nank were playing.