Changes v Crows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Crows

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Ross out as sub. Clarkie in as sub. That’s it.

As much as I’m uncertain about the Mansell role I’ll let the club give it a decent airing before writing it off.

Reactions: 4 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Ross out as sub. Clarkie in as sub. That’s it.

As much as I’m uncertain about the Mansell role I’ll let the club give it a decent airing before writing it off.
Really?
Mansell is never, ever going to be capable of holding down that spot short, medium or long term.
Let alone adding valuable forward craft to the team.
So what is the actual point?
Particularly as we have two up and comers in Cumberland and Clarke who should be getting that AFL experience now.
What is going on in Dimma’s mind?

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Really?
Mansell is never, ever going to be capable of holding down that spot short, medium or long term.
Let alone adding valuable forward craft to the team.
So what is the actual point?
Particularly as we have two up and comers in Cumberland and Clarke who should be getting that AFL experience now.
What is going on in Dimma’s mind?
As I said, I’m not sure if it’s going to work (I raised the fact I didn’t think Mansell was quick enough to run down guys, didn’t play v Melbourne etc last week) but I’m gonna back the club in for more than 1 game before I write it off.

There’s obviously reasons for him playing ahead of Cumbo and Clarkie which others have done to death already. Whether it works, who knows.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It is true that we have an issue with opposition teams scoring from rebounds out of our 50.

But just about every team struggles with that, it is damned difficult to defend.

A lot teams set up for the rebound and we need to do that better.

This is the reason for picking Mansell, and it has some merit in the sense of having a defender playing in the forward line. Maybe he was protecting space and maybe it worked to the extent that we didn't concede so many scores from rebounds.

If this experiment lasts until we hit Melbourne, who are very good at rebounding, then we will see whether there is any merit.

But, the player in this role also needs to be able to do some attacking, otherwise we're already outnumbered in forward options and that's before you factor in that just about every team putting at least 1 extra in defence when the ball is heading to their opponent's forward line. This is where Castagna was very good, you could not ignore the fact that he might have been guarding space, he might have been chasing defenders, but he could also take a mark, he could also gather the ball and go for goal. This is what Mansell I doubt can provide, he can be left alone in the forward line because he is unlikely to be a threat, and this frees up a defender.

Unless Mansell improves in this position I think it is too expensive to spend a forward position on a player who can only defend.

DS

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
It is true that we have an issue with opposition teams scoring from rebounds out of our 50.

But just about every team struggles with that, it is damned difficult to defend.

A lot teams set up for the rebound and we need to do that better.

This is the reason for picking Mansell, and it has some merit in the sense of having a defender playing in the forward line. Maybe he was protecting space and maybe it worked to the extent that we didn't concede so many scores from rebounds.

If this experiment lasts until we hit Melbourne, who are very good at rebounding, then we will see whether there is any merit.

But, the player in this role also needs to be able to do some attacking, otherwise we're already outnumbered in forward options and that's before you factor in that just about every team putting at least 1 extra in defence when the ball is heading to their opponent's forward line. This is where Castagna was very good, you could not ignore the fact that he might have been guarding space, he might have been chasing defenders, but he could also take a mark, he could also gather the ball and go for goal. This is what Mansell I doubt can provide, he can be left alone in the forward line because he is unlikely to be a threat, and this frees up a defender.

Unless Mansell improves in this position I think it is too expensive to spend a forward position on a player who can only defend.

DS
You got there in the end Davo. Started with some merit, ended with basically zilch

• Haha

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
This is a match as much to do with Collingwood as it is to do with the Crows.
The team selected for Saturday should be the one we anticipate taking in against the pies.
We have the speed to match them, and a midfield to beat them. Clarke, Ryan and Sonsie would help the cause.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
If we had lost in R1, this game would have worried me. Especially after we lost to them over there early last season.

Sure, we didn’t win either, but Adelaide lost to a team that won’t contend for finals. It was also a very hot day and they are on a 6 day break. I don’t think we’re gonna have too many excuses if we lose this one.

I’m also going, so we’d better bloody win!!

Weather forecast: 24 and partly cloudy.

In: Cumberland
Out: Mansell

edit: whoops. didn't realise there was another thread. Thanks for merging.

Last edited:

nswtiger

tiger army tiger army!! thank you very much
Feb 14, 2005
Nrth NSW
the crows will be cooked after their game on Sunday in syd ...............its tiger time in south OZ

maybe Ryan? for someone .unsure who ........Mansell played his role .......stay

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Yep. We hit the lead in the 3rd Qtr and then they received 15 frees to 1. The 1 they gave away was a professional free kick as we were on down the ground.
As I said in another earlier post suck it up.
Nothing is going to change until the powers that be at RFC raise a stink about it.
Even then we would be probably be treated as pariahs by the dumpires and it would get worse, if that is possible.

Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
If we had lost in R1, this game would have worried me. Especially after we lost to them over there early last season.

Sure, we didn’t win either, but Adelaide lost to a team that won’t contend for finals. It was also a very hot day and they are on a 6 day break. I don’t think we’re gonna have too many excuses if we lose this one.

I’m also going, so we’d better bloody win!!

Weather forecast: 24 and partly cloudy.

In: Cumberland
Out: Mansell
Ian, If we lose, we can start to plan for the future.
They only have 3 good players.
Rachelle, Dodoee, Modra

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Ian, If we lose, we can start to plan for the future.
They only have 3 good players.
Rachelle, Dodoee, Modra

I'm not really sure what to take out of the Carlton game. In theory, we should be better for the run (dust off the cobwebs, etc). Crows are always tricky at home. We are a long way from being certainties this week.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I'm not really sure what to take out of the Carlton game. In theory, we should be better for the run (dust off the cobwebs, etc). Crows are always tricky at home. We are a long way from being certainties this week.
By the stats we are although we are guaranteed to get flogged in the free kicks column.

Stats as we and (ol Mate Fago) should know ............. aint the scoreboard.

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Yep. We hit the lead in the 3rd Qtr and then they received 15 frees to 1. The 1 they gave away was a professional free kick as we were on down the ground.
Shai's slippery reputation has preceeded him, anytime he moved with the ball they blew the whistle on him. Granted a couple floppy knee calls were there, but he poleaxed too and the net result was Carlscum's way.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
What in tarnation is a Foosh n Foosh?
A Marlin ( Marlion ) is a big Foosh that ya try n catch when ya go fooshin in a big fancy fooshin boat, Marlion also sneaks up on oppo players real quiet n all they get is the Foosh as he blows right through them. Therefore Marlion ( Foosh ) Pickett.

Reactions: 2 users