Changes v GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v GWS

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Dimma lives or dies at the selection table this week. An already decimated midfield loses two more guns. His decision is to not only not replace them with even one midfielder he then goes and drops a third midfielder. Brings in a debutant flanker and promotes a light bodied winger who has yet to show much in his few outings. Also refuses to select a 3rd tall forward back up ruck option to stretch the Giants defence.

Understand it’s difficult with all the injuries but this is the first time in a long time I have been so dubious on selection. But I’m not a 3 time premiership coach. If we win he will be a genius.

Reactions: 3 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Interesting reading this thread , 3 flags in 4 years and now we are at 4/4 and MC don’t know what there doing :rotfl1:mhihi . I wonder how many were calling for players heads over the past 4 years who now wear Premiership medallions ... ffs people a little prospective

Reactions: 3 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Yet we can't 'fit' CCJ in?
This. I understood it in 2017. We simply didn’t have another tall there. Soldo and Chol were very underdeveloped and Maric was done. I remember Soldo filling in one week when Nank was suspended. We won the game, but I came away thinking thank God Nankervis returns next week. This year we do have options. Chol, while inconsistent, has done the job, and from what little we’ve seen of CCJ he looks to be a viable 2nd ruck. It makes no sense and we’re shortening Nank’s career by running him into the ground and reducing the team’s effectiveness forward and around the ground by not utilising another tall marking option. We’re robbing the team of Marlion’s output by playing him in the ruck and unsettling our back line by throwing Balta and Astbury, even Broad, in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Ross has been treated very poorly IMO this year Snake. He has been medical sub (can’t stand this rule) on numerous occasions and then in and out of the side. He may not be a world beater but how do you find out if he doesn’t get a crack at it. Now is the time to find out with all of our midfielders injured. His form hasn’t been great but it’s no worse than others in the team such as Castagna and Rioli.

His first 6 or so games in 2019 before he was injured were very very good. I’d like to see him get a chance to recapture that. If he doesn’t then at least we know and he can be moved on.
I disagree. Does disposal and decision making change when he his given the exact role he apparently should get? Should he get an extra cushion for his arse when sitting on the bench? I don't buy it. I actually think the opposite, has been given a lot of credit based on that early good form. The position thing is a furphy. People seem to think his only skill is getting in a pack and getting it out. I think people are overating him on that basis. And even if they aren't and he is as good at that as people think or hope for, thats a one trick pony.

As I said on another thread, if your modus operandi is being a solid and reliable citizen, being solid and reliable is non-negotiable.

I'm always skeptical of the 'if he was played in his correct posi he'd be a gun' thesis. Sometimes there is some basis to it sure, but generally players are good or they ain't.

There is also the issue of people showing little faith in the MC of a club that has risen from the ashes and won 4 flags. Edit, 3, should have been 4!

People will think I hate him but I don't and thats not the issue, he hasn't taken his chances. Hasn't shown enough, and been dropped.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Interesting reading this thread , 3 flags in 4 years and now we are at 4/4 and MC don’t know what there doing :rotfl1:mhihi . I wonder how many were calling for players heads over the past 4 years who now wear Premiership medallions ... ffs people a little prospective
Beat me to it!

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
That’s fair enough. No doubt their hands are tied somewhat with all the injuries but still think there are some interesting selections this week. As I said he will be a genius if we can somehow pull off a win with that midfield line up.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The Giants are a first hands to the ball side. Even with our full compliment of mids only Chimp will regularly beat them to the pill. So we play the dirty 22B. Heat and counter. Pressure the ball, turn it over and off to the races. Richmond Small Ball 101.

That's the plan. We weren't going to beat them on the inside, Ross or no.

I think you are right and the Giants arent known for a team that deals with pressure well.

Seems like its surrender 1st possession then harass till we force the turnover and then run the ball quickly. This should mean that we seperate Jack and Tom like we did against the Dogs. We should look to get Tom up the ground and play Jack deep, interesting what they then do with Taylor, does he go with Tom or do they send a smaller player. I think Buntine deep on Jack may work well for us as well, Jack with smarts and a 4cm height difference should bode well.

When we played the Saints we moved the ball at speed (though we did win the ball out of the centre very well) and I expect that to happen again tonight. Seems like run and gun is the approach.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
That’s fair enough. No doubt their hands are tied somewhat with all the injuries but still think there are some interesting selections this week. As I said he will be a genius if we can somehow pull off a win with that midfield line up.
Always has been interesting selections Ridler , not everyone is going to agree , however the MC’s record is outstanding

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Always has been interesting selections Ridler , not everyone is going to agree , however the MC’s record is outstanding
Doesn’t mean we can’t question it. They have credits in the bank but from a far it’s looks like a massive gamble tonight.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Doesn’t mean we can’t question it. They have credits in the bank but from a far it’s looks like a massive gamble tonight.
Nothing wrong with questioning it at all it’s a forum , however to question this mob when they have proved us all wrong in the past is a bit premature imho.
If many of us on here got our way we wouldn’t have Peggy, Benny and Dimma after 2016 , think Dimma an Co probably deserve a little more faith

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I think it looks like we are going to concede clearances, intercept, and run them off their feet.

Richmond H&A 101

I'll celebrate 6:6 like a minor premiership, and we can almost lock that in with a win tonight I reckon.

BIG game

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
2nd to the ball and conceding clearances are two different things.

we have the toughest ruckman in the league degrading the ruck. on the ground we will have tackle machines in Baker, Pickett, Graham.

on the outside we will have a conspiracy of rangy runners lining up to whisk the leather away. backed by a premiership defense, sharpened by a premiership attack.

it's at Marvel. GWS would have to do a lot right to win.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I think it looks like we are going to concede clearances, intercept, and run them off their feet.

Richmond H&A 101

I'll celebrate 6:6 like a minor premiership, and we can almost lock that in with a win tonight I reckon.

BIG game
Win tonight and you can ink in 7-5 at the bye. No way Adelaide or Arsendon beat us.

Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
If Soldo was fit and good to go, and assuming in decent form, would he get a game?

If the answer is yes, then why aren't we giving CCJ a crack?

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
2nd to the ball and conceding clearances are two different things.

we have the toughest ruckman in the league degrading the ruck. on the ground we will have tackle machines in Baker, Pickett, Graham.

on the outside we will have a conspiracy of rangy runners lining up to whisk the leather away. backed by a premiership defense, sharpened by a premiership attack.

it's at Marvel. GWS would have to do a lot right to win.
Tonight's team does not have a premiership attack. It has a couple of premiership players.

But it's also got Jake Aarts.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Jack and Tom are more than a third of that. And are now 100 per cent of our ability to kick goals.
Kicking goals is not the issue. Our game is based on strangling teams and then scoring on the rebound or turnover. Dimma is more concerned about the strangling part at the moment.

We won't win many games if it's a shoot out and the team with better skill and efficiency wins. Dimma has stated he hates shoot outs. Let Carlton enjoy them.

If you're after champagne football with precise delivery into the fwd line and skillful medium / small forwards making the most of their opportunity then you're following the wrong team.

We rely on pressure and intensity to wear the opposition down and then kick goals by whatever means possible.

Last edited: