Changes v GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v GWS

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
We rely on pressure and intensity to wear the opposition down and then kick goals by whatever means possible.

Melb, Sydney and Geelol have shown that our pressure is beatable. Thanks in no large part (sarcasm) to reduced HTB decisions, the Man on the mark rule and the Kick-in rule.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Kicking goals is not the issue. Our game is based on strangling teams and then scoring on the rebound or turnover. Dimma is more concerned about the strangling part at the moment.

We won't win many games if it's a shoot out and the team with better skill and efficiency wins. Dimma has stated he hates shoot outs. Let Carlton enjoy them.

If you're after champagne football with precise delivery into the fwd line and skillful medium / small forwards making the most of their opportunity then you're following the wrong team.

We rely on pressure and intensity to wear the opposition down and then kick goals by whatever means possible.
Ya, but you still need to kick goals to win. Moreover, you need a competitive forward line in order to stop the opposition running the ball easily into their forward line, which has been our biggest issue this year in comparison to the previous four.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Although I am questioning of dropping Ross, I still have a lot of trouble seeing what he brings. He isn't fast, nothing exceptional in disposal, can he really get enough of the ball as an inside mid? Not sure although I think I would have given him some more chances given the injuries in the centre.

I can understand the turnover and run strategy, especially given the injuries, but I remain to be convinced. The whole idea of putting pressure on clearly needs some adjustment this year with the umpires calling play on no matter how you dispose of the ball after being tackled. We cannot rely on tackling for turnovers, the tackled player can drop it, throw it, hand it to their team-mate, whatever and get away with it.

What I don't understand is the huge reluctance to add CCJ in as a second ruck and third tall forward. Someone above said we are not the sort of team who precision pass into the forward line. Now, I understand that means we need to have crumbing players forward. But the problem is that the small forwards seem to spend most of their time defending space further up the ground, our ability to keep it inside 50 is not what it once was and a third tall up forward can stretch the defence and create space. Add to this that we are running Nank into the ground and I really can't see why we won't give CCJ a try.

DS

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Melb, Sydney and Geelol have shown that our pressure is beatable.
Which is what Dimma would be most concerned about. If we can't get this area of our game to the same levels as previous years then you can kiss the flag goodbye.

Strangling teams is our main competitive advantage. We're not winning it with open free flowing precise footy.