Changes vs Fremantle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes vs Fremantle

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
It is gone because we can’t make top 4, and because it is virtually impossible to win the flag from any other spot.
We have seen very little of him as a forward. Your conclusion that he can’t play there is premature.
the Dogs did

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Did you want to play Rance as a forward as well?

No need to show silly when we know you aren’t. Circumstances could not have been more different.

We haven’t had a functioning forward line since Lynch fell in the 3rd round. Millions of dollars wasted, a season with many playing at the appropriate level all wasted, because we lost Tommy and Jack for understandable reasons, hasn’t been unable to keep up. Dimma gone as a direct result .. I repeat. It is no small matter.

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Simple question.

Has he been better back this year or last year?

Again he has been better this year but that only tells us that as a KPP he has improved. Some of the very best have played both forward and back at different times of their careers.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
No need to show silly when we know you aren’t. Circumstances could not have been more different.

We haven’t had a functioning forward line since Lynch fell in the 3rd round. Millions of dollars wasted, a season with many playing at the appropriate level all wasted, because we lost Tommy and Jack for understandable reasons, hasn’t been unable to keep up. Dimma gone as a direct result .. I repeat. It is no small matter.

But you still wouldn't have moved Rance forward.

Again I will repeat this is a long game. You clearly think finals are out of the question but want to play the short game. We don't know what the club have in store for us. Himmelberg could be with us next year playing forward with Lynch, so we'd have wasted 6 months of ongoing development with Noah in the backline with Broad, Rioli, Vlastuin and Young for what?

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
It is gone because we can’t make top 4, and because it is virtually impossible to win the flag from any other spot.
Woofers in 2016. It's difficult but it can be done.
If you want to win finals and flags then you need to make sure your defence is absolute premium set and forget. Forward set ups can be fudged as we did in 2017.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
I don't get the "drop Young" part. Maybe I have to watch the game again but from what I saw, he covered the second fwd well and played his role nicely. Unless Gibcus is fully fit, Young stays.

Reactions: 12 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
In - Banks Bauer Tigga,

Out - Dont know yet. Pick from - Hugo, Mansell, Graham, Chimpa (rest?), Grimes (Inj?)

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
But you still wouldn't have moved Rance forward.

Again I will repeat this is a long game. You clearly think finals are out of the question but want to play the short game. We don't know what the club have in store for us. Himmelberg could be with us next year playing forward with Lynch, so we'd have wasted 6 months of ongoing development with Noah in the backline with Broad, Rioli, Vlastuin and Young for what?

Posh I don’t know what you mean and I doubt you do either.

We will go into next year with Tom in uncertain condition but given his particular history, with at least a no lesser chance of re injury than he started with this year. To be clear it could happen again.

And for the purposes of this discussion consider the possibility that Himmelburg, (who won’t be as easy a sell as we might have expected when his two mates arrived), may not be with us.

It may also give you conniption but remember he is actually playing in defence this year so heaven help us if he has to take on a different job!

Seriously you need to relax. All I have suggested is taking this opportunity to see if things turn bad through injury or whatever and a change up is needed, that moving Noah downfield may be carried through with a measure of confidence.

In a year that promises to deliver little it is the smart move.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I don't get the "drop Young" part. Maybe I have to watch the game again but from what I saw, he covered the second fwd well and played his role nicely. Unless Gibcus is fully fit, Young stays.
The emergence of Young has been one of the few positives for the club this year. He should be given every opportunity to continue to develop.

Reactions: 3 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
The emergence of Young has been one of the few positives for the club this year. He should be given every opportunity to continue to develop.

True, but I think that development will only occur if he plays in a settled, functioning backline.

To me, Balta is part of that backline, especially with Gibcus out, Grimes now injured as well, and Miller very inconsistent.

Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
True, but I think that development will only occur if he plays in a settled, functioning backline.

To me, Balta is part of that backline, especially with Gibcus out, Grimes now injured as well, and Miller very inconsistent.

It’s a good point. I’d still go ahead though.

We have been fighting with one arm tied for most of the season. Leading to a massive waste in resources, time and preparation. Missing out on Van Rooyen has really cost us and losing our future 1st has again tied our hands.
Going into 24 then with out a few options in case of further injury would mean the remainder of this year would also have been wasted. Especially as one of these is so easily doable.

We might then be close to OK ripe for a complete rebuild, which would be a further waste of our present reasonably strong list position. AGGH⛑️

josey

Tiger Superstar
Mar 17, 2008
Melbourne

Yeah I agree.

As others have posted our defence is functioning very well at the moment and will only improve with the inclusion of Vlaustin.
So I would think this is the perfect opportunity for Gibcus to be trialled as a forward. He will probably need a month at VFL level anyway so why not give him the freedom of running around up forward, with the aim of him replacing Jack next year.

A forward line of Lynch, Gibcus and Sampson has the potential to be very damaging IMO

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Balta is in great form and looks to me to be the best of those currently available, to take over from Jack. With our current stock of tall backs and Gibcus and possibly Himmelburg coming in next year, I am not too worried about moving him forward.
Season gone. Bauer to play his first.

In Bauer, Cumberland and Vlastuin.
Out Cotchin sub, Graham and Mansell.

B Vlastuin Grimes Young
HB Bauer* Broad Rioli D,
C McIntosh Bolton Short
HF Cumberland Baker Martin
F Clarke Balta Riewoldt
R Nankervis Ross Taranto
I/C Pickett Prestia Ralphsmith and Ryan
Sub Cotchin.
Balta is settled. 9th for intercepts in the league, 8th for contested marks. Don't have stats on me but likely top 4 or 5 for contested intercept marks. Pivotal atm and keeping our backline functioning the way it is.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Balta is settled. 9th for intercepts in the league, 8th for contested marks. Don't have stats on me but likely top 4 or 5 for contested intercept marks. Pivotal atm and keeping our backline functioning the way it is.

He's joint 2nd for intercept marks. Same as Darcy Moore, only behind Charlie Ballard.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Posh I don’t know what you mean and I doubt you do either.

We will go into next year with Tom in uncertain condition but given his particular history, with at least a no lesser chance of re injury than he started with this year. To be clear it could happen again.

And for the purposes of this discussion consider the possibility that Himmelburg, (who won’t be as easy a sell as we might have expected when his two mates arrived), may not be with us.

It may also give you conniption but remember he is actually playing in defence this year so heaven help us if he has to take on a different job!

Seriously you need to relax. All I have suggested is taking this opportunity to see if things turn bad through injury or whatever and a change up is needed, that moving Noah downfield may be carried through with a measure of confidence.

In a year that promises to deliver little it is the smart move.

I do know what I mean.

You want to test Balta forward this year because we have no talls, but knowing that his best position is probably in defence so he will most likely play the bulk of his career in defence. This is a short term move based on lack of personnel.

I acknowledge that his best footy is played as a backman, he's a natural backman and doesn't appear to be anywhere near as natural when played forward, so its the better long term solution to keep him back and have the entire defensive group gain more and more understanding of each others games.

Thats the long game vs the short game.

You think you want to play the long game but are actually playing the short game.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Balta won't and should not play forward. Our backline is a rare strength this year despite injuries. Yes Jack is nearly gone and Lynch is out, but we'd better off trading/developing our younger forward prospects rather than robbing Peter to pay Paul.

TygerTyger

oh yeah!
Oct 17, 2006
Richmond
Agree. He reminds me of Grimes when he started (without all the injuries). Hopefully he follows a similar trajectory (finishing with 4 flags :)

• Love