Changes vs Geelong | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes vs Geelong

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Last 2 games against Geelong Hawkins has kicked 8 goals, Cameron 6 (from 1 game). Definitely a concern, we really have to prevent the number of opportunities up the ground. On the face of it Tarrant doesn't look like a good match for either of them. I'd go Miller acknowledging that he might get taught a lesson.

I actually think the opposite. Hawkins loves the wrestle and he's also a super smart player that you have to play from behind. If you let him get behind you, he will use his body (and sometimes the old approved shove) to get you out of the way and take the mark. We need experience on him IMO, and someone that can physically hold him. This is exactly why we recruited Tarrant, though obviously his injury may make this moot anyway, as he may not be physically able to play.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
If Tarrant doesn't come up.

Broad to run with Cameron when he goes up the ground, Gibcus when he isn't. Miller to play on Shovekins, Grimes to play on Stengle ??

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
If Tarrant doesn't come up.

Broad to run with Cameron when he goes up the ground, Gibcus when he isn't. Miller to play on Shovekins, Grimes to play on Stengle ??

I think we'll need to aim to double team Shovekins regardless of who plays, but more so if Miller is playing. We will likely roll an extra man back (as they do) and look to play either Broad or Vlastuin in front of him when the ball is being kicked forward

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I actually think the opposite. Hawkins loves the wrestle and he's also a super smart player that you have to play from behind. If you let him get behind you, he will use his body (and sometimes the old approved shove) to get you out of the way and take the mark. We need experience on him IMO, and someone that can physically hold him. This is exactly why we recruited Tarrant, though obviously his injury may make this moot anyway, as he may not be physically able to play.
Have a watch of the videos of Hawkins goals. The majority are from leading out. He is the master of knowing when to lead. That's why I think Tarrant is a poor choice, he's super slow. Need someone with good closing speed. Hawkins does get a free from pushing players in the back. Unfortunately it doesn't matter who you are, when illegal tactics are employed like that Hawkins will win every time. 2 or 3 years ago I would have said yes but Tarrant was a different player then. Hawkins also has a very good record against North over the last few years.

Who would you say comes in if Tarrant is out? Could have swung Balta back but he's out for a while now.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Yeah, 4:35 on a Sat is a weird time. Nevertheless I'll be there, helps that the MCG is a 10 minute walk from my place.
Grew up on Rotherwood Street, where the MCG lights used to be great for getting to our outside dunny at night! :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Have a watch of the videos of Hawkins goals. The majority are from leading out. He is the master of knowing when to lead. That's why I think Tarrant is a poor choice, he's super slow. Need someone with good closing speed. Hawkins does get a free from pushing players in the back. Unfortunately it doesn't matter who you are, when illegal tactics are employed like that Hawkins will win every time. 2 or 3 years ago I would have said yes but Tarrant was a different player then. Hawkins also has a very good record against North over the last few years.

Who would you say comes in if Tarrant is out? Could have swung Balta back but he's out for a while now.

If Tarrant is out, I think it has to be Miller. I don't think Biggie would match up well with him, but we need a collective approach to defend against both Shovekins and Cameron. This is where Broad and Vlastuin will be really important. Either that or we send Broad to Cameron and have Gibcus play in front of Hawkins / Cameron and try and fill that gap in front. That might actually be a better option due to the extra height of Gibcus.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
If Tarrant is out, I think it has to be Miller. I don't think Biggie would match up well with him, but we need a collective approach to defend against both Shovekins and Cameron. This is where Broad and Vlastuin will be really important. Either that or we send Broad to Cameron and have Gibcus play in front of Hawkins / Cameron and try and fill that gap in front. That might actually be a better option due to the extra height of Gibcus.
Not Gibcus
Who can be sacrificed/used to man the space in front of Shoveskins who will clumsily run through anyone placed there?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I'd like to see Stack and Sonsie - bring in some pure football talent - I know neither will get in.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I think we'll need to aim to double team Shovekins regardless of who plays, but more so if Miller is playing. We will likely roll an extra man back (as they do) and look to play either Broad or Vlastuin in front of him when the ball is being kicked forward
The speedy Miller did well in the VFL again today and should come in. Cameron will play up the ground and maybe Miller to play at his shoulder with his right hand spoiling hitting towards the boundary. Grimes and Vlastuin our best two defenders. to play in front of Hawkins, with both to spend time getting in his way.
After the Coburg match both Miller and Stacky must be in with both a good chance to play.
Not so sure about Edwards and the lightly built Gibcus for this one, which we must win if we are to keep a top 4 finish in sight.

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
Grew up on Rotherwood Street, where the MCG lights used to be great for getting to our outside dunny at night! :)
That’s my old street K3! Lived there from 1987 - 2004.