chat room open/ Virus problem | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

chat room open/ Virus problem

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Re: chat room open

Ive tried many times to get into chat room. No luck cant ever get in.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004

I tried the password that i use on PRE. Do you need a different password on chat?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

Hi guys,
Noone could access the chatroom Monday night. I think it must have been to do with the problem causing posting hassles.
I've contacted the room support about the password but haven't heard back yet.
My computer has a virus that can't be removed and it prevents a lot of things opening and the chatroom is one of them unfortunately.
The computer has to be reformatted and after waiting almost 2 hours on the phone to talk to Microsoft tonight they told me they can't help me do it until Tuesday.  :mad:
I hope the chatrooms working ok again now but if not I'll fix it as soon as I can.

biglinds

I'm a llama!
Aug 5, 2003
Perth

I left the chat room and tried to get back in without success.

Yes Btoz there is another password to the chat room which you have to get off rosy

tigertime

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 29, 2004

If you have a virus..

Go to www.grisoft.com

Download AVG Antivirus free version..

This will fix it up...

I have seen this clean viruses that many other programs will not.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

Thanks tigertime. Microsoft got me to remove my anti virus program to try sort out a couple of problems.
The Command anti virus guy spent an hour or two this arvo trying to re-install the program but the virus prevents it installing.
I'll have a crack at your one, but both Command and Microsoft have both told me reformatting is the only solution.
Hope we prove them wrong. ;D

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne

Rosy, could you please send me the new password to the chat room.

Did you attempt to run your virus program via safe mode when running your virus program ?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

I'll send the password when we get one nwonash.

The virus scan was removed from my computer and the virus won't let the program install again. :mad:

Pity the chatroom isn't working. I have to wait an hour for this anti virus to download so a chat would be good to pass the time.

I can't even open MSN to chat on there. Might have to do some bookwork instead. :'(

tigertime

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 29, 2004

I hope you had some luck with the Virus scan.

It was pretty irresponsible of microsoft to ask you to take your virus scan off while you were online.

Surely someone could bring out a laptop and direct connect to your computer and clean the virus for you if AVG doesnt get rid of it.

I am surprised the Command Anti Virus guy didnt do this.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

The antivirus tech took over my computer through netmeeting.
The nature of the virus was that it wouldn't let the Command anti virus install again so couldn't delete the virus.
AGV installed ok and found 4 infections. It healed 2 and I deleted the other two.
Didn't help my computer go much better though worst luck.
Re-format coming up.

tigertime

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 29, 2004

Should reformat every 6-24 months just to keep a system running optimally depending on how many programs you install and how heavily you use your computer.

Make sure you take as much time as you need to backup and check each folder otherwise you will lose something that you will want later.

The other issue you may be facing is spyware which is the most common cause of computer meltdown speed wise.

http://www.safer-networking.org

Download spybot. (its free) Run a scan on your system. You will be surprised how many programs have been installed into your system to spy and harvest your information for marketing/advertising/maliscious purposes.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

I'll move this thread to the tech support board seeing it's not really footy related.

I've used spybot, adaware and shredder and there is no spyware at all on the computer.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
I dont like spybot. I use spysweeper.

Spybot will delete important files mistaking them for spyware.

Rosy, I wouldnt recommend AGV the freeware version. I prefer Mcphees or Nortons, they pick up viruses that AGV doesnt pick up.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Nwonash when I got this computer it had a free Norton trial.  When it finished I bought the full version but there was some problem where the free version stopped the full version installing.  Norton acknowledged they had issues with that and refunded my money.

I use Command anti virus and am really happy with them.  The problem was the virus wouldn't let the Command program re-install.

When I've reformatted I'll install Command again.

I like the fact their tech support is in Melbourne and always willing to help over the phone.

Because the viruses often target the "bigger" companies I was able to install AGV and remove the viruses.

tigertime

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 29, 2004
Nwonash..

Are you a norton sales rep?

Or are you just clueless?

Because everyone in the IT industry knows that nortons is a virus and is only marketed to novice users..

I had someone install avg yesterday on their "nortons" machine. Found a ****load of viruses.

Mcafee is just as bad. Infiltrates, infects and slows down your system.

Spybot only gets rid of spyware.

You can choose to use it to scan you registry for faults and usage tracks. Which has with it a risk for novice users. But by default, it only gets rid of spyware. It also backs up your registry for you.

Never heard of Spysweeper but having looked at their home page, it looks very dodgy.

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Tigertime what are you talking about?? Nwonash is not clueless at all. Symantec antivirus is fantastic! Our business has been running Nortons for years with live update, Nav for gateways and exchange mail security and we have not had one infection get through ever, plus it blocks about 90% of spam. Maybe some people just don't know how to use and maintain it properly like we do.

BTW Rosy, has your virus been identified yet?? If so could you let me know what it is and I'll see if I can help before you go and format.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Um too late tiga, ha. Have reformatted and am in the process of loading the drivers and downloading programs again.

Trojan horse BackDoor.Ruledor.C
Trojan horse BackDoor.Ruledor.A Loader.exe
Trojan horse Startpage.DM
I forget the 4th one.

It wouldn't disinfect two of them so I deleted the files but my computer still wouldn't work properly.