China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
What happened to Tibet was outrageous and Tibetan culture is still being smashed by China.

East Timor is now Timor Leste again... i hope West Papua gets a degree of independence as well but I'm not optimistic on that.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What happened to Tibet was outrageous and Tibetan culture is still being smashed by China.

East Timor is now Timor Leste again... i hope West Papua gets a degree of independence as well but I'm not optimistic on that.

Yep, West Papua is an ongoing struggle.

But they keep fighting, and the Tibetans keep resisting too.

The tide can turn, even against more powerful opponents.

DS

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Pretty much everyone who has bought a half price peice of complete *smile* from bunnings or harvey norman in the last 20 years has been complicit in Chinas ascendence.

Theyve been laughing their heads off while we grow fat and soft building an MDF chandelier we saw on The Block with a disposable Ozito drill

I paid overs for Australian made tyres and a battery last week. Made me feel a little bit empowered.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Pretty much everyone who has bought a half price peice of complete *smile* from bunnings or harvey norman in the last 20 years has been complicit in Chinas ascendence.

Theyve been laughing their heads off while we grow fat and soft building an MDF chandelier we saw on The Block with a disposable Ozito drill

I paid overs for Australian made tyres and a battery last week. Made me feel a little bit empowered.
Yeah we're doing a kitchen and laundry reno and I'm doing my best to buy stuff that is not made in China. All the cabinetry is made in Australia so very happy about that. Bought an Aussie made laundry sink. Stone benchtops made in Australia. Appliances made in Europe. Spent more time than I care to remember looking at tapware and confused the *smile* out of ourselves. Finally settled on taps that are exactly what we wanted; from Ikea. Swedish stuff is pretty good. Got home and checked the packaging; made in China! Doh!

It's bloody everywhere and hard to avoid.

Reactions: 4 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yeah we're doing a kitchen and laundry reno and I'm doing my best to buy stuff that is not made in China. All the cabinetry is made in Australia so very happy about that. Bought an Aussie made laundry sink. Stone benchtops made in Australia. Appliances made in Europe. Spent more time than I care to remember looking at tapware and confused the *smile* out of ourselves. Finally settled on taps that are exactly what we wanted; from Ikea. Swedish stuff is pretty good. Got home and checked the packaging; made in China! Doh!

Yeah, I’ve been trying to buy Australian when buying the groceries. Bought Kookas country bikkies the other day, you know the ones you only find in hotel rooms in regional Victoria.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Very very hard to avoid, I have to put the stronger reading glasses on and look really hard at the "Made in . . . " words printed in 2pt on the package.

I did once buy one of those really cheap rechargeable drills, it was a rip off at about $12, you needed 3 hours notice to use it as the battery was lucky to hold charge for half an hour. Mind you, I wonder where the replacement (De Walt) was made, probably China.

We did our kitchen last year and bought appliances made in Europe, I think the cabinets are Australian but who knows where a lot of stuff comes from.

DS

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

Pleased this BBC journalist asked some hard questions. I hope the rest of the world does as well.

Reactions: 2 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Yet when the Whitlam government proposed buying it all back in the 1970s the conservative press went apes**t.

Yes, they royally f***ed up the implementation but that wasn't the initial opposition. Imagine if we had bought back the farm then, we'd be doing better now.

DS

it was largely the Yanks who did us all over at that time.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Have a Chinese-made music streamer on order but it's far from cheap & nasty.

Won't be too long before we look at Chinese made goods the way we look at Japanese made goods now. But back in the 70s Japanese made stuff were considered cheap knock-offs that wouldn't last long. Now Japanese engineering is up there with the Germans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
China being a right pain in the arse. Brazil in the middle of a corona virus explosion.
I say halt all iron ore exports for 2 months under some *smile* excuse and see how China likes that.
They won’t be able to make up that gap.
*smile* them.

China has a MASSIVE stockpile. This wouldn't impact them in the least.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Have a Chinese-made music streamer on order but it's far from cheap & nasty.

Yeah I bought a Chinese made valve amp (Shenzen) some years ago and it was a long way off cheap and nasty. They can make some good stuff, although this was an Australian company with their own factory in China (Melody amp if you must know).

DS

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006

Pleased this BBC journalist asked some hard questions. I hope the rest of the world does as well.

Boycotting the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics should be the starting point.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Won't be too long before we look at Chinese made goods the way we look at Japanese made goods now. But back in the 70s Japanese made stuff were considered cheap knock-offs that wouldn't last long. Now Japanese engineering is up there with the Germans.

We used to call it 'jap crap' when we were kids.

China ain't Japan though. I'm sure most of their stuff will still be crap in 40 years.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We used to call it 'jap crap' when we were kids.

China ain't Japan though. I'm sure most of their stuff will still be crap in 40 years.

With their manufacturing might I'm sure they'll still make crap for those that are ordering crap and only want to pay crap prices. But they'll also have their own well engineered kit too.

Reactions: 1 user

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
China has 3levels of "crap"

1st level is el cheapo crap that most people think of as "made in China"
2nd level is crap manufactured under supervision by overseas companies. (Sold at a higher price level)
3rd level, high quality crap that is almost at "Japanese quality" & is priced accordingly.

The old adage about "you get what you pay for" is still true.

Reactions: 1 user

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
What was the purpose of our government's letter to the UN declaring China's land grab in the South China Sea to be illegal?
Everyone, including China, knows it's illegal.
Why keep poking the Panda?