China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Yeah, improving. Meanwhile we make no cars.

They made a big push into Australia a few years ago, with a lot of ads. But to be honest I've never seen one.

The difference between China and Japan/South Korea is the political system. Ultimately totalitarianism fails. Once the communist party loses its legitimacy, the whole place will descend into chaos. And even before that the economy will go south due to lack of freedom. China will end up more like Russia or Indonesia than Japan.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Huawei 5G ban is as much about keeping the other manufacturers in the game as it is about the risk of a Chinese backdoor. Huawei 5G infra is not only better performing than all the other manufacturers, it's a lot cheaper too.

Huawei are already the Sony of Japan, Samsung of Korea. Won't be long before consumers around the world consider their kit alsongside the other two brands.

Absolutely they are. Wasn't there a stat that its Huawei hardware in 70% of mobile phones?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
They made a big push into Australia a few years ago, with a lot of ads. But to be honest I've never seen one.

I've owned one, you get what you pay for. Newer models look much better but I haven't driven one.

The difference between China and Japan/South Korea is the political system. Ultimately totalitarianism fails. Once the communist party loses its legitimacy, the whole place will descend into chaos. And even before that the economy will go south due to lack of freedom. China will end up more like Russia or Indonesia than Japan.

I'd agree totalitarianism ultimately fails. That might take a long time in China's case, as they seem to have a strong grip on power.

Indonesia is a democracy with a rapidly growing economy (at least prior to C19) so not sure about your comparison there.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Indonesia is a democracy with a rapidly growing economy (at least prior to C19) so not sure about your comparison there.

Indonesia is a basket case. You need to get out of Jakarta more! And it's democracy is token at best.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Indonesia is a basket case. You need to get out of Jakarta more! And it's democracy is token at best.

Yeah, it's a developing economy Shad, I'm aware of uneven development. Prior to COVID19 economic growth was running at 5% annually - it's going to take a big hit from C19 but even so. It still has high levels of corruption but not around elections - it has a vibrant multiparty system. You are probably thinking of Soeharto era when the Golkar party had to win 90% of the votes.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Yeah, it's a developing economy Shad, I'm aware of uneven development. Prior to COVID19 economic growth was running at 5% annually - it's going to take a big hit from C19 but even so. It still has high levels of corruption but not around elections - it has a vibrant multiparty system. You are probably thinking of Soeharto era when the Golkar party had to win 90% of the votes.

Having a known mass murderer as one of the two presidential candidates doesn't really feel like a vibrant democratic system to me. I guess I'm an old school left winger.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Having a known mass murderer as one of the two presidential candidates doesn't really feel like a vibrant democratic system to me. I guess I'm an old school left winger.

I am too Shadders... Prabowo didn't win, but then Jokowi made him Minister of Defence - a typical Indo power sharing/keep your enemies close type of arrangement. They still have free and fair elections, so that's democracy. They take that pretty seriously too.

Indonesia has its fair share of problems but we should recognise the good along with the bad.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yes, very basic analysis: China's sabre rattling not winning friends. S*** eh, who'd have thought?

Somaliland from memory a different coloniser (English?) can't remember exactly. Isn't it called Djibouti now?

Maybe I should Duck Duck Go it.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
I thought we should have as a country these powers already. National interest must always come first.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I thought we should have as a country these powers already. National interest must always come first.

On principle I agree. But these days it's always more about party point scoring and looking after your mates rather than what's right for the country. Who knows what is best.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Why is the belt and road program against our national interest?
Because nothing comes for free and there's always a price to pay. Having seen what Belt & Road has done in Ghana that price is not worth paying for some shoddily built infrastructure.

Reactions: 1 users