China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Haha. Leaders in the Arab world don't give a stuff about Uighurs. In fact, most of them don't give a stuff about any Muslims who aren't Arab.

At least Turkey has had some dignity on the issue. The rest of the Muslim world has given silent consent.
Read somewhere that Turkey taking some fat envelopes from China for their silence so I don’t see dignity, point out where in the article it connects dignity with Turkey? Uighur are a minority to the Turks like the Kurds, they both straddle their border and are seen as a threat.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm far from being a supporter of the CCP actions and policies, but Trump, Morrison and the Western would be well advised if they more diplomatic when it comes to China, and Asia for that matter.

It's probably been mentioned earlier in the thread, but "saving face" is very important to Asians. Rubbing their noses in it, isn't the way to get results when showing displeasure of political differences.

Trump's and to a lesser extent Morrison's megaphone approach is not the way they should be dealing with China.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I'm far from being a supporter of the CCP actions and policies, but Trump, Morrison and the Western would be well advised if they more diplomatic when it comes to China, and Asia for that matter.

It's probably been mentioned earlier in the thread, but "saving face" is very important to Asians. Rubbing their noses in it, isn't the way to get results when showing displeasure of political differences.

Trump's and to a lesser extent Morrison's megaphone approach is not the way they should be dealing with China.

So we should let them do what they want without scrutiny to so they can 'save face'?
Good luck with that.
They'll take a mile if you take that approach. We need to 'save face' too.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
So we should let them do what they want without scrutiny to so they can 'save face'?
Good luck with that.
They'll take a mile if you take that approach. We need to 'save face' too.
All I'm saying is, get on the phone, not the megaphone.

Edit

An example of what mean is...... Trump calling Covid the China virus, and Kung Flu.
We all know where it came from, just call it by it's name instead of rubbing there noses in it.

Last edited:

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Not good. China has no eyes on them now.

Targeted plan by China.

Targeted at Australia . Payback.

Don’t be afraid and allow our country to be bullied by China and I hope our Govt acts firm & tough against them.

Reactions: 3 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul

The tread-softly approach has not worked with China in recent times, hence we're looking to push back.

Sometimes you just need to denounce another countries *smile*.

I read recently that India, Japan and Australia are looking to improve their supply chain ties. I take some comfort that other regional players are wary of China and their bullying tactics. You can't trust a one-party government anywhere, let along one as powerful as China.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The tread-softly approach has not worked with China in recent times, hence we're looking to push back.

I read recently that India, Japan and Australia are looking to improve their supply chain ties. I take some comfort that other regional players are wary of China and their bullying tactics. You can't trust a one-party government anywhere, let along one as powerful as China.
Yes, fair enough, as you say the tread-softly hasn't worked.

Reactions: 2 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria

Edit

An example of what mean is...... Trump calling Covid the China virus, and Kung Flu.
We all know where it came from, just call it by it's name instead of than rubbing there noses in it.
I agree, but dont forget the China press were calling it the Wuhan Virus early days

Reactions: 3 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016

They equate "Quiet Diplomacy" with weakness.
They think their "Wolf Warrior" approach indicates strength.

Reactions: 1 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
For a nation that is allegedly "gum on their shoes" the CCP seem awfully concerned about what we do.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Today they're back to threatening India.
CCP Leaders seem increasingly insecure.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
They equate "Quiet Diplomacy" with weakness.
They think their "Wolf Warrior" approach indicates strength.

Yeah nah. The Chinese way is all about giving face in public with the real diplomacy/negotiating happening behind the scenes. Using the Megaphone is just not going to work because it's not in their psyche to respond to it the way you want them too.

You want to win a negotiation, find out what makes the other side tick, what they think, how they react, then play to those.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The hard approach worked if you consider 85 million dead, millions more injured, global scale destruction and human misery and a trillion dollars spent as “worked”.
What was the alternative? Just bend over and let Hitler have his way and have the whole of Europe living under a repressive Nazi regime and a despot leader?

Plenty love to bag the British but they and the Russians were the only ones who stood up to Hitler; the rest of Europe folded like a deck of cards. The world would be a lot different today if it wasn't for British action in WWII.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Yeah nah. The Chinese way is all about giving face in public with the real diplomacy/negotiating happening behind the scenes. Using the Megaphone is just not going to work because it's not in their psyche to respond to it the way you want them too.

You want to win a negotiation, find out what makes the other side tick, what they think, how they react, then play to those.
What makes the CCP "tick"?
You have to bend over to find out.

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
What was the alternative? Just bend over and let Hitler have his way and have the whole of Europe living under a repressive Nazi regime and a despot leader?

Plenty love to bag the British but they and the Russians were the only ones who stood up to Hitler; the rest of Europe folded like a deck of cards. The world would be a lot different today if it wasn't for British action in WWII.
The "alternative" was undoubtedly a lot worse.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Really only when they were "forced" into it after Poland was invaded. Before that they let Hitler invade many countries hoping he would "be reasonable", quite a forlorn hope when you think about it.