China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
As Australia will do what's best for Australia. Let's just hope those negotiating are genuinely looking at the long term benefits for Australia and not trying to find a nice wedge or headline in The Australian about how tough they are.

Is that what Penny Wong is doing?

Or is it China being bullies yet again?

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Is that what Penny Wong is doing?

Or is it China being bullies yet again?

China's reaction to Pelosi's visit was over the top. Even China's allies let them know it was too much. They'll back down when they can find a face saving way to do it.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
They'll back down when they can find a face saving way to do it.

This is the problem though. Old Xi sees himself as the next Chairman Mao, but doesn't hold a candle to him in terms of general appeal to the masses, so he takes a tough approach to keep on side with the hardliners who have enough power to keep things under control.

It just seems to be the modern blueprint for these kleptocracies.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
China's reaction to Pelosi's visit was over the top. Even China's allies let them know it was too much. They'll back down when they can find a face saving way to do it.
China's allies??? Putin on the ritz, Lil Kimmie n maybe some maaaates who Grandpa Xi buys nice prezzies for. Would have thought China's cronies would be all for Grandpa Xi throwin his weight around a bit n putting the wind up sleepy Joe, Oh Trudy, Macaroni, Elbo n a few others.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
China's allies??? Putin on the ritz, Lil Kimmie n maybe some maaaates who Grandpa Xi buys nice prezzies for. Would have thought China's cronies would be all for Grandpa Xi throwin his weight around a bit n putting the wind up sleepy Joe, Oh Trudy, Macaroni, Elbo n a few others.

You underestimate the effect the Belt & Road initiative has on the 147 countries that are part of it.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not to mention the reliance just about every country has on China's manufacturing.

Imagine trying to replace everything produced in China.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not to mention the reliance just about every country has on China's manufacturing.

Imagine trying to replace everything produced in China.

DS

Yeah. Also one of the reasons that China is reluctant to invade Taiwan - they make nearly all of the world's semiconductors, and nearly 100% of the smaller 2-7 nanometer ones... If Taiwan is invaded and production halts, forget about fridges/cars/phones/laptops/manufacturing technologies for a few years.

It's also really hard to scale up or replicate production of semiconductors.

1659926528128.png

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Ooh yeah, without Taiwan Semiconductor and whatever other companies they have, we ain't having little computers in everything. I reckon that has been a serious consideration for China. There is the lure of taking over that industry, but you would be taking a huge risk that you could damage it in the process, or even that the Taiwanese either nick off with the factory or take a Scorched Earth approach.

Plus, I would have trouble getting a flash new bike.

DS

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

Came across this one on the Taiwan (ROC) airforce today.

The PLA Air Force’s continual incursions on Taiwan’s air space don’t only serve an intimidatory purpose. It is playing the long game. Chinese military doctrine is very much about winning by attrition.

Taiwan’s ROC Air Force is actually a reasonable force. It has better aircraft and far better trained pilots than the PLA Air Force. As well as giant underground hanger facilities, tunnelled into mountains surrounding their airfields. Extremely hard to destroy. The mainlanders know this. So they are trying early tactics of attrition. Using their quantitative advantage

If Taiwan’s ROC Air Force already has a shortage of pilots, by the PLA maintaining constant incursions, it means all ROC pilots are on active duty, in the sky at all times, over worked and have no ability to staff training establishments to train new pilots. The monetary cost, time and labour to maintain F-16s doing so many flying hours is a strain also.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Ooh yeah, without Taiwan Semiconductor and whatever other companies they have, we ain't having little computers in everything. I reckon that has been a serious consideration for China. There is the lure of taking over that industry, but you would be taking a huge risk that you could damage it in the process, or even that the Taiwanese either nick off with the factory or take a Scorched Earth approach.

Plus, I would have trouble getting a flash new bike.

DS
I believe the arrangement is scorched earth taking all the intellectual property, know how and staff to the US.

In fact, the US is already in the process of putting together strategic joint ventures between Silicone Valley and Taiwan with this contingency in mind.

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Road to a vassal state with “Chinese characteristics.”

China is not necessarily imminently going to make an attempt on Taiwan (although it would be wise not to rule anything in or out). But it is getting its ducks in a row to keep options open.

A foothold in the Solomons would be a strategically valuable point to thwart attempts for adversaries (namely a US led alliance) using northern Australia and PNG as a staging areas.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Road to a vassal state with “Chinese characteristics.”

China is not necessarily imminently going to make an attempt on Taiwan (although it would be wise not to rule anything in or out). But it is getting its ducks in a row to keep options open.

A foothold in the Solomons would be a strategically valuable point to thwart attempts for adversaries (namely a US led alliance) using northern Australia and PNG as a staging areas.
Yep. Thanks to the massive failures of diplomacy of the previous government. The Solomons should have been a rock-solid ally.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Yep. Thanks to the massive failures of diplomacy of the previous government. The Solomons should have been a rock-solid ally.
I’d be offering for Australia to pay for their election. Even offer AEC expertise for free to help coordinate it. In order for it to not be postponed.

I suspect something of that nature will be what Albo and Wong will offer as their diplomatic move on the chess board.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

China’s political system has also increasingly been seen even by Western analysts as better suited to supporting a world leading tech sector. A notable example was government funding of R&D in key areas which had been a consistent part of Chinese economic planning since the 1950s, and which in sharp contrast to the US grew steadily as a percentage of GDP keeping up with the country’s rapid economic growth. This ensured funding in strategic areas where the private sector may otherwise not have been willing to work.”

This same point was strongly made by writers in the MIT Technology Review: “Governments [as opposed to business people] are more likely to fund long-term, risky bets like clean energy, sustainable materials, or smart manufacturing—the kinds of technologies the world really needs right now . . . it’s become increasingly clear in the West that while the venture capital model is good at building things people want, it’s less good at producing things society needs in order to solve hard, long-term problems like pandemics and climate change.”

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
But will east or west ultimately rule the world? It’s too early to say. In terms of terms of global influence, military reach, grip on the media, and control of international finance, the US is well ahead.

Yet several observers say that China has some surprising leads already. Abrams points to a December 2021 report from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, which said that only a “national response analogous to the mobilisation that created the technologies that won World War II” had a chance of preventing total Chinese dominance of “the technologies of the future.”

That study concluded that in some areas China “has already become No. 1. In others, on current trajectories, it will overtake the US within the next decade.”
Ibid, your Honour.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Although, it’s not an either/or. I’ll raise the author, Taiwan and South Korean historical political systems as blueprints for industry development.

This below book gives a great outline of the divergent paths different parts of Asia took to development of industry. Taiwan and South Korea were most intriguing for mine.

I’m a little wary of some western academics that sometimes waver into the realms of the CCP apologists. A lot of these subversive elements are present within our institutions. I suspect some of them are secretly a little envious of the totalitarian, authoritarian nature of China and the dictatorial power it allows over the populace. Not just for economic and and industry reform, but for social reform also.

Last edited: