China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I would agree that Trump should play no part in any inquiry. But regardless of who calls for it there needs to be an inquiry; an independent inquiry. Cut the Yanks out of it if that makes the CCP feel any better; the poor dears.

But that's the issue at the moment. Trump has called for the inquiry, Morrison's said "yeah, good idea", so it's Trump led. China won't entertain that idea in the slightest. Issue now is for any country that jumped on the back of Trump's call, like Australia, is that we've played our hand and wont be entertained.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
good counter arguments Nico and Baloo.

My views on china aren't simple. I think Australians lack of understanding of Chinese culture plays out as extreme racist towards them. We have been from the moment they built a joss house on the victorian goldfields.

But I wouldn't trust their govt as far as I could kick a steamed dimsim.

My views on Trump are certainly much simpler.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

yet the Dim Sim isn't Chinese. It's an Australian invention that is to Chinese food what Heinz SpagBol in a can is to Italian food.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
But that's the issue at the moment. Trump has called for the inquiry, Morrison's said "yeah, good idea", so it's Trump led. China won't entertain that idea in the slightest. Issue now is for any country that jumped on the back of Trump's call, like Australia, is that we've played our hand and wont be entertained.
I actually thought we called for it before the Yanks but stand corrected if that's not the case.

Regardless, how do you think it should be done? The world just can't sit on its hands and let the CCP brush this under the carpet.

No way that can happen. An independent investigation is non negotiable.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I actually thought we called for it before the Yanks but stand corrected if that's not the case.

Regardless, how do you think it should be done? The world just can't sit on its hands and let the CCP brush this under the carpet.

No way that can happen. An independent investigation is non negotiable.

It's got to come through the UN, it's the only way, but trying to pressure China through the UN will be as tricky as trying to get the US to follow a UN mandate that it doesn't like.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
yet the Dim Sim isn't Chinese. It's an Australian invention that is to Chinese food what Heinz SpagBol in a can is to Italian food.

hence, why I used it.

faux ironic racism.

is a trick of mine. :cool:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

The CCP is the problem; not the Chinese people.

And I love dim sims; especially those massive South Melbourne Market fried ones :))

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
It's got to come through the UN, it's the only way, but trying to pressure China through the UN will be as tricky as trying to get the US to follow a UN mandate that it doesn't like.
Agree. But China will need to back down at some stage and cooperate with an investigation, when the time is right. This is a global health pandemic which has lead to massive economic disruption which will also lead to further impact on the global population.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

I think the word dimsim comes from DimSum - what we call yum-cha in Australia. Everywhere else in the world calls it DimSum.

Whatever, it's a SUCCULENT CHINESE MEAL

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The virus came from animals, it wasn't man-made. That's already known - it's a zoonotic virus, whatever Donald Trump wants you to believe. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9,

So an inquiry might find that it come through the wild animal wetmarket - this is the most likely theory anyway. Then the inquiry could look at why the local Chinese authorities covered up initially. Yeah, they did that because they thought they could hide it from the central authorities. When they realised that wouldn't work, they 'fessed up. Then the CCP um-ed and ah-ed and eventually realised they couldn't hide this from the rest of the world so they 'fessed up too.

I have nothing against some sort of "independent" inquiry but have doubts it will teach us very much. We know the virus was carried by people who left Wuhan and went elsewhere, and infected others. We know that zoonotic viruses are a big threat so we should stop encroaching on wild habitats and stop eating and trafficking wild animals.

Reactions: 4 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006

Dimmies are in my belly within 12 hours of landing in Melbourne. Steamed, usually, but sometimes fried but only ever drowned in Kikkoman.

All hail William Wing for a truly great Melbourne culinary creation.

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
The virus came from animals, it wasn't man-made. That's already known - it's a zoonotic virus, whatever Donald Trump wants you to believe. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0820-9,

So an inquiry might find that it come through the wild animal wetmarket - this is the most likely theory anyway. Then the inquiry could look at why the local Chinese authorities covered up initially. Yeah, they did that because they thought they could hide it from the central authorities. When they realised that wouldn't work, they 'fessed up. Then the CCP um-ed and ah-ed and eventually realised they couldn't hide this from the rest of the world so they 'fessed up too.

I have nothing against some sort of "independent" inquiry but have doubts it will teach us very much. We know the virus was carried by people who left Wuhan and went elsewhere, and infected others. We know that zoonotic viruses are a big threat so we should stop encroaching on wild habitats and stop eating and trafficking wild animals.

Agreed. And the CCP doesn't want an investigation and has been BSing the world since last year, so short of a military invasion and thorough investigation, we will never know the origins. Sus.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
What exactly would an inquiry do that could be of any benefit?

Genuine question.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
What exactly would an inquiry do that could be of any benefit?

Genuine question.

Potentially vindicate all the rust belt Americans who voted for trump to stand up to china, distract from his inept pandemic response, and give him a brief ratings spike?

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Potentially vindicate all the rust belt Americans who voted for trump to stand up to china, distract from his inept pandemic response, and give him a brief ratings spike?

yeah, that about sums it up.