China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The libs aren’t selling these things?

No but they're approving the sales.
The penny has finally dropped though, the Foreign Investment Review Board are now scrutinising every single purchase application, regardless of its value.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
...and then billionaire mining prick, Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest hijacks an Australian government conference with his good mate, the Chinese Consul General Zhou Long, who repudiates Australia's criticism of China and praises the Chinese Communist Party's handling of the Coronavirus pandemic, pushing his country's agenda. Forrest stands off to one side, grinning like the complete prick he is, having spent years kissing up to China and making a tonne of cash for himself by selling Australian iron ore to them. Forrest also begs for any inquiry into the origins of COVID-19 to not start until AFTER the US elections. Sell-out scum bag. You can't make this stuff up.

Yeah I heard Forrest on ABC radio this morning. His sycophancy towards the Chinese Govt was palpable, and quite pathetic. My immediate thought was that this guy has made billions out of the Chinese over the years so there is absolutely zero objectivity in any of his responses. Conflict of interest much? Then to gate crash a government conference with a Chinese diplomat is very ordinary.

However, he has been able to use his Chinese contacts to source 10 million test kits for Australia so he deserves credit for being able to arrange that. But i do remain sceptical of his motives; rarely does a billionaire act with a completely altruistic motive.

Reactions: 4 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
No but they're approving the sales.
The penny has finally dropped though, the Foreign Investment Review Board are now scrutinising every single purchase application, regardless of its value.
And you want them to not approve it? What right do you have to tell others what to do with their property?

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
China is a 13 year old confused lesbian ethnic with a filthy rich heavy weight boxer dad. Cannot reason with a country like that and certainly can’t fight it. We are stuffed.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
And you want them to not approve it? What right do you have to tell others what to do with their property?
I've got as much right as what the Federal has got.
Good on the Libs for cracking down on the "selling of the farm", just need them to get rid of the "Significant Investor Visa" now.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Yeah I heard Forrest on ABC radio this morning. His sycophancy towards the Chinese Govt was palpable, and quite pathetic. My immediate thought was that this guy has made billions out of the Chinese over the years so there is absolutely zero objectivity in any of his responses. Conflict of interest much? Then to gate crash a government conference with a Chinese diplomat is very ordinary.

However, he has been able to use his Chinese contacts to source 10 million test kits for Australia so he deserves credit for being able to arrange that. But i do remain sceptical of his motives; rarely does a billionaire act with a completely altruistic motive.

Hopefully the test kits work properly and not duds like the ones the Chinese sold to Europe

Reactions: 1 users

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
I heard that Twiggy’s gift is actually just a loan. The Government has to pay his foundation back for the price of the kits.

Wow, so much "charity". The government should test the kits first to see if they work, then make a decision on whether to negotiate with Andrew over price. And maybe tax the f****** a bit too.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I heard that Twiggy’s gift is actually just a loan. The Government has to pay his foundation back for the price of the kits.
The gov should refuse to pay him, or offer him less than he paid and see if he then holds them or send them elsewhere.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Ah China, where do you start?

There are about a dozen topics I would like to discuss about China, but there is one underlying principle that is drummed into Chinese people from birth which makes their culture totally incompatible with Western culture...face. Saving face or losing face. Under no circumstances will Chinese lose face. They will never admit they are wrong and they will never admit vulnerabilities.

In Western culture, it's admirable to admit mistakes. My bad, sorry about that, I completed f'ed up on that one. Admitting problems or vulnerabilities is the first step in changing behaviour, I think I drink to much, I totally lost the plot with my wife last night, I blew my pay packet at Crown last night...I really need help. You are seen as a massive wuss bag and ostracised from society if you admit to mistakes or vulnerabilities in China.

For Australia to diplomatically suggest ( the words used by Marise Payne were very carefully selected to avoid any outright blame on China) an inquiry into the origins of COVID-19 after all this is over, to prevent something this terrible from ever happening again for the sake of mankind is seen by the Chinese as a massive insult. Of course they are not going to agree to such an inquiry, they will lose face. They would have to admit that there may be something in this, maybe it could have come from a wet market in Wuhan. Instead they gaslight* and say it originated with the American military, or in fact originated in the US.

*Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment, often evoking in them cognitive dissonance and other changes such as low self-esteem. Wikipedia

If gaslighting was a sport, the Chinese would be world champions.

Anyway, suffice to say, the Chinese will never admit they are wrong about anything, and will go out of their way to gaslight and deflect blame.

Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, the concept of "face" is strong in most Asian countries. Donald Trump is a pretty big fan of this concept too though, to be fair, so its not an exclusively Chinese thing.

In the country where I am now, Indonesia, it's a strong concept but there are ways around it. You can still solve the problem without offending people, through backroom deals, using negotiating proxies, in the end the right outcome can still be achieved. There is also a strong concept here of cooperation, making reparations if you've caused harm and so on.

With China right now at a diplomatic level it seems to be "we've got the power so screw you and whatever you think". And we can see that also in the significant efforts even in other countries to suppress dissent/discussion of Chinese issues like the Uighurs.

The question still remains - sure, we can stop buying affordable Chinese consumer items, but will we?

And the even bigger problem - if we stop exporting to China, our economy will take a massive hit. Are we willing to live with that?

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Like his bushfire 'donation' was to his own foundation. He got some great press out of it though.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Like his bushfire 'donation' was to his own foundation. He got some great press out of it though.

A bit like his donation to Climate Change. His money only went to the anti-climate change faction

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation in which a person or a group covertly sows seeds of doubt in a targeted individual, making them question their own memory, perception, or judgment, often evoking in them cognitive dissonance and other changes such as low self-esteem. Wikipedia

If gaslighting was a sport, the Chinese would be world champions.

Standing right there on the podium having dead heated with Trump..... has gone next level in gaslighting!