China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Identify the exact source of the virus. There appears little doubt it was in Wuhan but where? The wet market or the lab? Or somewhere else? Then to understand how it spread so rapidly and how it could have been contained so that 3.5 million people don't get infected and 250K people don't die. Millions and millions of people suddenly unemployed and the associated societal issues that go with that. Wouldn't a greater understanding of these issues provide global health authorities with the tools to prevent an outbreak like this in the future?

Or do we just sit on how hands and accept what the CCP tells us? It is extremely likely they have the answers to many of these questions but there is no way they can be trusted to tell the truth. Therefore an independent inquiry run by the UN is the only other course of action.

SARS in 2003, COVID in 2019 which has proven so much worse than SARS. If nothing is done what's to say there won't be an even worse virus in 2030? Or 2040? I really don't understand how anyone could be against the establishment of an independent inquiry. It's common sense.
If nothing is done we won't have to wait until 2030...maybe just until 2021, 2022, 2023.....

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
DS I can sell you a smart phone not made in China. No problemo. Just wire me the money and pronto!
Its a smart one

And because there is a special shipment heading your way, I can also include a computer, tv, netflix recorder. Any device you want.
No exploitation of workers or the environment.
Just give me the money and I will sort out the rest.

What brand would these be and I will check them out.

By the way, Samsung phones are made in Vietnam, at least 50% of them although LG seem to be made in Korea.

DS

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
In the 18thC, Baron Rothschild said, "Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own" .

i recommend reading Mark Mansons 'The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck'.
go read it and lighten the load...

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

The US has joined the pile on too.

Under pressure, China has now agreed to an independent inquiry run by the WHO. However that organisation's credibility has also come under fire after the meek way they handled the crisis in the early stages. There will be questions asked whatever the review says especially as China has just injected a heap more funds into their budget.

China has also agreed to share any vaccine they create globally & have committed $2B towards finding a cure.
They must be aware their international standing has taken a hammering from this. Finally they are acting when the blowtorch is applied.
The mud will stick though.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
They must be aware their international standing has taken a hammering from this. Finally they are acting when the blowtorch is applied.

I see it differently. They don't give a damn what their perceived standing is. They are cashed up to the eyeballs. Nearly every industry relies on them. They manufacture everything. They've dealt with COVID-19 and they've come out the other side.

The US, their main competitor in Global Politics, has, over the last 5 months, self-destructed. Any high regard, standing, the US enjoyed has been severely eroded by Trump and his government. It's been happening for a while but COVID opened the floodgates.

China are in pole position to step into the void being left by the US. While typical western countries like Aus may not welcome it with open arms, there are plenty of Asian, African and Sth American countries who will.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I see it differently. They don't give a damn what their perceived standing is. They are cashed up to the eyeballs. Nearly every industry relies on them. They manufacture everything. They've dealt with COVID-19 and they've come out the other side.

The US, their main competitor in Global Politics, has, over the last 5 months, self-destructed. Any high regard, standing, the US enjoyed has been severely eroded by Trump and his government. It's been happening for a while but COVID opened the floodgates.

China are in pole position to step into the void being left by the US. While typical western countries like Aus may not welcome it with open arms, there are plenty of Asian, African and Sth American countries who will.
There will be international conflict well before that happens.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There will be international conflict well before that happens.

Most likely US instigated who will fight to retain their dominance. But they are on shaky ground internationally. What leader of a country would want to bet on the side of Trump, or a country that can elect a Trump?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Most likely US instigated who will fight to retain their dominance. But they are on shaky ground internationally. What leader of a country would want to bet on the side of Trump, or a country that can elect a Trump?
Can’t stand Trump (who won’t be around forever) but I’ll stand by America before I’ll allow Australia to be run by the CCP that’s for sure.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don't quite understand what the WHO were supposed to do, barge into China and start looking around for evidence the virus started there? Would the US allow the WHO to do the same in the USA, or would Australia?

The clear answer is no.

Multilateral agencies must tread carefully and I'm sure it frustrates the hell out of them but that is not a product of how the WHO works, it is a product of international politics.

I trust China as much as I trust the USA which is as much as I trust any regional or global power: not at all.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Both sides of politics are in bed with China particularly when it comes to donations, influence and the promotion of free trade and other agreements between the two countries. The LNP has a CCP operative in federal parliament for Christ's sake.

Morrison is getting some international traction on the independent inquiry into the genesis of Corona, (which will achieve squat but OK) so good for him. But just wait, you'll continue to see business deals done at the top end of town with China in the next few years with the tacit approval of all governments, state/federal Lib/Labour. Money talks.

Longer term we are still screwed given the US steadily abrogating its regional responsibilities, a process that was happening before Trump but which is now accelerating given his administrations lack of interest in anything but feeding Trump's massive ego and scamming as much as they possibly can while they can.

What's the balance? We want to sell minerals to them, or do we? We have a hundred billion dollar hole in the economy to fill if we don't. We want cheap chinese goods, or do we? Consumers are selfish - we want good things cheap. Besides, supply chains in technology and manufacturing mean we'll always be buying goods that have some Chinese input.

And strategically - how do we stay independent in a world that will be increasingly dominated by China? It's not as simple as Labour vs Liberal. The Libs signed a free trade agreement with China in 2015.

Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Both sides of politics are in bed with China particularly when it comes to donations, influence and the promotion of free trade and other agreements between the two countries. The LNP has a CCP operative in federal parliament for Christ's sake.

Morrison is getting some international traction on the independent inquiry into the genesis of Corona, (which will achieve squat but OK) so good for him. But just wait, you'll continue to see business deals done at the top end of town with China in the next few years with the tacit approval of all governments, state/federal Lib/Labour. Money talks.

Longer term we are still screwed given the US steadily abrogating its regional responsibilities, a process that was happening before Trump but which is now accelerating given his administrations lack of interest in anything but feeding Trump's massive ego and scamming as much as they possibly can while they can.

What's the balance? We want to sell minerals to them, or do we? We have a hundred billion dollar hole in the economy to fill if we don't. We want cheap chinese goods, or do we? Consumers are selfish - we want good things cheap. Besides, supply chains in technology and manufacturing mean we'll always be buying goods that have some Chinese input.

And strategically - how do we stay independent in a world that will be increasingly dominated by China? It's not as simple as Labour vs Liberal. The Libs signed a free trade agreement with China in 2015.
All these points are very valid antman.

Still, it doesn't mean that the CCP aren't a bunch of totalitarian and corrupt *smile* though.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
All these points are very valid antman.

Still, it doesn't mean that the CCP aren't a bunch of totalitarian and corrupt ***** though.

Yeah, its depressing and scary. Tiananmen was really when hope for democracy in China was snuffed out. Now we have the dystopia of physical/virtual surveillance to control populations combined with absolute punishment for those who disobey, plus rampant corruption and robber baron capitalism. Worst of all possible worlds.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Someone had to call for an independent inquiry and it wasn't America, Trump's rhetoric calling it the Whuan and China virus is anything but independent and shows no diplomacy at all.
As for China, what do they have to fear from an "independent" inquiry?, a lot apparently.
The odds are if you are prepared to stand up to a bully you are likely to get hurt, does that mean we should not stand up?

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Relations with China are good what is everyone talking about :sarcasm refer below:

spokesperson for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, told a routine press conference on Tuesday. ... that Australia, this giant kangaroo that serves as a dog of the US :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003