China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

No surprise with these comments. Victorian farmers will feel our State Government doesn’t have their back.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The irony of China complaining about dumping (even though it’s likely the claim is *smile*).

Ask anyone who works in the Australian steel or timber industry about Chinese dumping:rolleyes:
They were dumping aluminium on us during Gillards leadership, and her response was that it's a good thing because we get cheaper aluminium. Now look where our aluminium industy is, granted high energy prices were the other nail closing the coffin

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
America is burning on the media.
Meanwhile China & the CCP, which nobody in the West has a *smile* clue about is doing whatever the heck they want..
Nobody in the media criticises them for their appalling human rights record & lies re the coronavirus because the CCP controls everything. Leaking information will likely see you disappear under Chinese rule. Recently they ejected most Western media from their country & it barely caused a ripple. Australia asks for an investigation & they slam us trade wise.
Better the devil you know....the US is still out best bet despite all their woes.
Just need to *smile* off Trump.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

TV Josh

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2005
Melbourne, VIC
China delayed providing crucial information to WHO about COVID-19.

"Throughout January, the World Health Organisation publicly praised China for what it called a speedy response to the new coronavirus and thanked the Chinese government for sharing the genetic map of the virus "immediately".

But in fact, Chinese officials sat on releasing the genetic map, or genome, of the deadly virus for over a week after multiple government labs had fully decoded it, not sharing details key to designing tests, drugs and vaccines. Strict controls on information and competition within the Chinese public health system were largely to blame, The Associated Press has found from internal documents, emails and dozens of interviews."

Uncooperative system to say the least.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
But in fact, Chinese officials sat on releasing the genetic map, or genome, of the deadly virus for over a week after multiple government labs had fully decoded it, not sharing details key to designing tests, drugs and vaccines.

Fair enough but I'm struggling to see how a week delay is material when everyone, except the giant Oompa Loompa, says a drug or vaccine takes years to produce.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The WHO are in an invidious position, they have to be compliant as they rely on governments for information.

They would have known they were going to take a hit when they were being nice to Beijing, but the greater good would be served by being compliant to get more info.

The reality here is that the virus most likely jumped across from another species, it happened in China, and they tried to cover it up. This sort of behaviour is quite normal for powerful countries, but it is still reprehensible.

DS

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Fair enough but I'm struggling to see how a week delay is material when everyone, except the giant Oompa Loompa, says a drug or vaccine takes years to produce.
Testing?
Analysis of spread pattern to determine how far and how fast (And how deadly)?
Determining containment and ppe measures?

My guess is that the containment actions are based off the information above. And most political leaders will ignore it without this data

Remember its only a virus like the common cold, and the flu kills more people

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Bravo to the Government on tightening the Foreign Investment Laws. Should have happened years ago.
Better late than never though before this country is completely bought from underneath our feet.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Now China is warning its citizens not to visit Australia due to ‘Racial discrimination & violence’ towards Chinese & Asian people post coronavirus.
What an absolute joke that is.
Have said it before that they are one of the most racist nations on the planet with an appalling human rights record. By comparison Australia is a compassionate melting pot of Nationalities. Ask black people & muslims how life is in China..
No this is all about power & control nothing less.The racism card is a ruse because we have dared to question their motives & asked for an investigation into this disaster of their creation.
I see this conflict as a good thing as it means the Australian Government is finally waking up when it comes to China’s long term intentions. Stuffed if I want the CCP running Australia into the future with the way they operate.
It will cause some short term pain as we look to develop other global markets & rebuild manufacturing here but will be better in the long run.
Hold the course.

Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Not disagreeing ToO, but don't forget China is playing a long game and has been for a while. They haven't forgotten how Chinese and Asians were treated over the past decades and will always feel justified in their waving of the racist card at western nations who were more prosperous in the past but during those times were fairly racist countries.

The world dumped on China for a long time. They have long memories and won't forget. They, thanks to the rest of the world pouring money into their country, are now one of the super powers and I guess they have no qualms in doing what others did to them.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Not disagreeing ToO, but don't forget China is playing a long game and has been for a while. They haven't forgotten how Chinese and Asians were treated over the past decades and will always feel justified in their waving of the racist card at western nations who were more prosperous in the past but during those times were fairly racist countries.

The world dumped on China for a long time. They have long memories and won't forget. They, thanks to the rest of the world pouring money into their country, are now one of the super powers and I guess they have no qualms in doing what others did to them.

I’m well aware that they’re playing the long game and that’s were my deep distrust stems from.
They’d have viewed Australia as a young, wealthy country that’s quite naive, with short term Governments vulnerable to corruption, given the Western fixation with capitalism. The fixation with cash has weakened our position, no doubt. That needs to change. Recent steps seem to finally be addressing that.

As for racism, like yourself I have lived in Asia for a number of years previously & have visited China a couple of times.
Whilst its quite beautiful I found my Interactions with many Chinese people most unpleasant.
I must have been walking around with a dollar sign flashing from my forehead because the number of times people tried to con, thieve or rip me off made the holidays tainted. Sure theres racism in Australia towards Asians but few of them are prepared to look in the mirror.
Racism is far worse in most Asian countries from my international experiences so I just cant cop it When that card is played.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The week delay wasn't particularly relevant for a vaccine but we have to remember that at that stage we weren't even sure that the virus could be spread by human to human transmission or if it could how easily that could happen. The WHO has access to some of the top medical minds across the globe, they were exactly the organisation who should have has the information asap.

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
China being a right pain in the arse. Brazil in the middle of a corona virus explosion.
I say halt all iron ore exports for 2 months under some *smile* excuse and see how China likes that.
They won’t be able to make up that gap.
*smile* them.

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Further to that. China RELIES on 65% of its iron ore from Australia. That simply cannot make that up elsewhere without destroying their pollution improvements. Play hard ball. I’m sure the rest of the steel producing nations would gladly enjoy the competitive advantage we can offer.