China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
China wants 'counterstrike' after Australia condemns Beijing on HK

https://mol.im/a/9154059

*smile* storm
“He also conceded that Beijing's economic punishments of Australia were sanctions in response to Canberra's call for an independent investigation into the origins of Covid which emerged in Wuhan, China.”
So they’ve admitted that they are in breach of the free trade agreement then?
Also in breach of the Sino-British Joint Declaration in regards to Hong Kong.
Why would anyone want to deal with these *smile* from the CCP when as soon as something happens, perceived or otherwise, that the delicate petals take offence to, they dishonour agreements

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Pompeo, finally, says China is engaging in genocide. His incoming replacement Blinken agrees. Hope Biden calls it early and says the US will not attend the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. If it were any other nation hosting, it wouldn't even be a question.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Pompeo, finally, says China is engaging in genocide. His incoming replacement Blinken agrees. Hope Biden calls it early and says the US will not attend the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. If it were any other nation hosting, it wouldn't even be a question.
Yep good to see pressure finally being applied on China by the big players. They've literally been getting away with murder.
Sanctions also need to start against them.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Nice one Pompey - condemn China on literally your last day in the post. Muthaf*****

Reactions: 1 user

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
China and North Korea via the UN slamming us for our human rights. They can both smile off.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
China and North Korea via the UN slamming us for our human rights. They can both smile off.
Shows what an ineffectual and impotent organisation the UN is. China getting away with genocide and North Korea with human rights abuses for years, yet lecturing us. We aren’t perfect by any stretch but this is a joke

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
HS has a cautionary take.

Chinese company plans to build $39bn city on Australia’s doorstep (paywalled)​

A Chinese company has approached the Papua New Guinea (PNG) government with a proposal to build a $39bn city just kilometres from Australia’s sea border, according to leaked documents obtained by The Australian.

Hong Kong-based WYW Holding asked PNG Prime Minister James Marape in April to sign off on a “build operate transfer” deal to build the city on the island of Daru, situated just two kilometres Australia’s border in the Torres Strait.

If approved, the “New Daru” would be passed onto PNG after an unspecified period of Chinese control.

A spokesman for Mr Marape told The Australian he was “unaware of such projects”, but Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton said Australia was “keen to discuss” the issue with PNG.

“I think there are all sorts of sovereignty issues and local issues in terms of land owners and land rights,” he told Today.

“We will look at it closely, but Australia will always act in our best interests and we will support our neighbour.”

Daru is the capital of PNG’s impoverished Western Province and has a population of just 15,000. The island has been ravaged by an extremely drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis.

But the Australian Strategic Policy Institute’s Jonathan Pryke said Beijing was “more likely to grow a third arm” than complete the project and warned the Australian government against overreacting.

“You really need to start taking it seriously if they start importing a huge amount of materials because it’s all just for show,” he told NCA NewsWire.

“Australia can’t jump and react to everything because we’re just jumping at shadows.

“We’re talking about a project here that’s almost twice the size of PNG’s annual GDP. I don’t need to look at the memorandum of understanding to know that is an insane proposal.”

He said middlemen like WYW Holding went to “far flung, wild west parts of the world” in a bid to make quick money.

“(If they) get enough attention around them and someone in Beijing starts paying attention, money might start to flow and they can get rich. That’s what it’s all about,” he said.

Beijing previously pledged to build a university in the electorate of former PNG leader Peter O’Neill, a plan Mr Pryke said had amounted to “a bit of land clearing and four demountables”.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said he would “wait until more details” were available, but the government was in “constant dialogue” with PNG.

“We have a close relationship with the PNG government … let’s not jump to conclusions here,” he said on Friday.

It comes after a Chinese company last year signed a memorandum of understanding to build a $200m industrial fishing complex on Daru.

The revelation alarmed some national security experts who feared the site, which would be located 15o kilometres from the Queensland mainland, would double as a Chinese military facility.

Concerns were also raised the commercial fishing complex would decimate traditional fishing practices in the Torres Strait.

Labor foreign affairs spokesperson Penny Wong wanted guarantees the proposal, if built, would not threaten Australia’s national security interests.

“Scott Morrison should explain what he knows about the ‘New Daru City’ proposal,” she said.

“Australia should be the partner of choice in our region, working with allied and aligned nations to build the sort of region we want – one that is stable, prosperous and respects sovereignty.”

But independent senator Rex Patrick said any Chinese presence on Australia’s doorstep would be harmful to its national interest.

“Scott Morrison needs to make that very clear to his PNG counterpart and offer support for alternative projects in the Fly River Province, one of the poorest regions of PNG,” he told NCA NewsWire.

“Australia needs to be proactive, not reactive, in heading off Chinese proposals to establish a strategic presence next to the Torres Strait and a bridgehead for expanding the Chinese Communist regime’s influence and interference in our nearest neighbour.”

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne

Under the UN convention, signed by 152 countries including China, a finding of genocide can be made if a party violates any one of five defined acts. Tuesday’s report by the Newlines Institute for Strategy and Policy found that the CCP had violated all of them and accused the party of clearly demonstrating an “intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group”.

5 out of 5, bravo CCP!

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Under the UN convention, signed by 152 countries including China, a finding of genocide can be made if a party violates any one of five defined acts. Tuesday’s report by the Newlines Institute for Strategy and Policy found that the CCP had violated all of them and accused the party of clearly demonstrating an “intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnical, racial or religious group”.

5 out of 5, bravo CCP!

Hmm, the problem is that it is beyond difficult, more like impossible, to bring a very powerful country to account.

No doubt they will get away with this, all comes back to whether you are immensely powerful or not.

DS

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Hmm, the problem is that it is beyond difficult, more like impossible, to bring a very powerful country to account.

No doubt they will get away with this, all comes back to whether you are immensely powerful or not.

DS
They'll get away with it, but global sentiment is swiftly turning against them.

The Beijing Winter Olympics next year will be the perfect opportunity for the global community to say enough is enough and boycott. The CCP has already threatened trade sanctions against countries who boycott, but how can you honestly send a team to a country engaging in genocide.

I'm hoping that the majority form a block and boycott together, embarrassing the crap out of Beijing.

Reactions: 3 users

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009

DS
I think rusted on ALP voters can give Dan Andrews a message that they won’t be voting for him and they will be voting informal or for independents at the next election until something is done.

We must show step by step that this intolerable and won’t be accepted.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think rusted on ALP voters can give Dan Andrews a message that they won’t be voting for him and they will be voting informal or for independents at the next election until something is done.

We must show step by step that this intolerable and won’t be accepted.

I think Dan is Premier of Victoria, and I don't think the Victorian government is responsible for genocide in China.

But, I presume you are referring to relations between Victoria and China? Can I suggest that after the Federal Government leased the port in Darwin to the Chinese, a port right near an Australian military base, we do the same to the Federal government??

DS

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think Dan is Premier of Victoria, and I don't think the Victorian government is responsible for genocide in China.

But, I presume you are referring to relations between Victoria and China? Can I suggest that after the Federal Government leased the port in Darwin to the Chinese, a port right near an Australian military base, we do the same to the Federal government??

DS
Is that one of those hey look over here posts?