China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Is that one of those hey look over here posts?

No, just pointing out that Dan is not responsible for what China does and that if we're going to hold people to account for relations with China we should do it consistently and properly.

DS

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I think Dan is Premier of Victoria, and I don't think the Victorian government is responsible for genocide in China.

But, I presume you are referring to relations between Victoria and China? Can I suggest that after the Federal Government leased the port in Darwin to the Chinese, a port right near an Australian military base, we do the same to the Federal government??

DS
I think leasing the port to the Chinese should be well down anyone's list of reasons to boot out Morrison, Porter, Reynolds, Robert and the rest of the awful mob we currently have as our government.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I think rusted on ALP voters can give Dan Andrews a message that they won’t be voting for him and they will be voting informal or for independents at the next election until something is done.

We must show step by step that this intolerable and won’t be accepted.
reports suggest the fed government will legislate to stop the agreement.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
No, just pointing out that Dan is not responsible for what China does and that if we're going to hold people to account for relations with China we should do it consistently and properly.

DS
What do you think of Dan’s deal with the Chinese?

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
I think rusted on ALP voters can give Dan Andrews a message that they won’t be voting for him and they will be voting informal or for independents at the next election until something is done.

We must show step by step that this intolerable and won’t be accepted.
Oh that's right, Victoria is a part of the puppet show. I keep forgetting that. Its all about jobs, keeping Victoria strong........someone in the US of A sounded the same recently and was a laughing stock to most Victorians and the world actually. Hehe

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
It is pretty weird posting about Uighur oppression in China and connecting it to a provincial government in Australia.
No it’s not. Based on your comments you must have been against Australia’s boycotts against South Africa in the day.

If people who are progressive with their views won’t stick up to support the victims of genocide it just continues to give China the green light to continue their ways on an international stage.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
No it’s not. Based on your comments you must have been against Australia’s boycotts against South Africa in the day.

If people who are progressive with their views won’t stick up to support the victims of genocide it just continues to give China the green light to continue their ways on an international stage.

Yeah don't get your logic on the apartheid comparison MB.

Dan's deal with China is worth discussion for sure - but it's interesting that those who take this angle don't want to talk about federal govt deals with China and seem to be part of the Kill Dan crew as well.

Reactions: 1 user

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
Yeah don't get your logic on the apartheid comparison MB.

Dan's deal with China is worth discussion for sure - but it's interesting that those who take this angle don't want to talk about federal govt deals with China and seem to be part of the Kill Dan crew as well.
I don’t want anyone doing deals that effect our sovereignty federal state or otherwise.

What I don’t accept is that we allow China to actively do genocide as a world with very little consequences. South Africa had sanctions for their abhorrent treatment of its people under apartheid how is this situation different? If a Western country behaved like this there would be and should be an outcry.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have no thoughts on Dan's deal with China as I am not aware of the contents.

Are you suggesting we cut all ties with China? No exports, no diplomatic ties, no ties between universities etc? Yeah, good luck with that, too many of the Lib's mates making money out of links with China for that to happen.

If you want to criticise Dan for whatever he signed in relation to the Belt and Road Initiative and unsign that agreement, then you have to consider all the other agreements with China and also all the private sector links with China. Do you want to be consistent or just grandstand about one particular link with China for political point scoring?

DS

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I don’t want anyone doing deals that effect our sovereignty federal state or otherwise.

What I don’t accept is that we allow China to actively do genocide as a world with very little consequences. South Africa had sanctions for their abhorrent treatment of its people under apartheid how is this situation different? If a Western country behaved like this there would be and should be an outcry.

Sanctions on South Africa took literally decades to put in place, apartheid started with the National government in 1948 but sanctions didn't happen until the 1980s. Even then I recall Howard not being in favour and we all saw how Thatcher vehemently opposed sanctions on South Africa.

Look at what is happening in Myanmar. Military Coup, people being shot in the streets. What is the Australian government reaction? Well, we cut ties between our respective militaries. They won't cut other ties as there is too much Australian money there, same happened under Hawke years ago.

Plenty of human rights abuses which are cheerfully ignored by our government and western governments in general. Why only China?

I agree that China should be under immense pressure over the Uighers, although that pressure should have started decades ago. But we should also be putting Saudi Arabia under pressure, Russia, Turkey and many others - where do you start or stop?

DS

MB78

Sep 8, 2009
Believe it or not, no politics in this. I just want people in general to speak out against this and not be silent on it because it’s China.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

Other than the US there isn't a Western Country with China's economic power over the world.

Australia won't say anything because we're still suffering from when Morrison went off early. We might join an international boycott if one gathers steam but we won't be first movers and it won't be a global boycott. The games will go on.

The world has exploited China's low labour and production costs for decades now. Turning a blind eye because it was convenient to do so. We've created the beast that is China.

Until we wean ourselves off the Chinese economical tit, anything we try to do will hurt us.

The question is, are we as a nation ready to pay a lot more for everything while losing our biggest export markets to save the Uyghurs? Or do we need that 75" UHD 4K TV because Robbo looks even better on it?

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Believe it or not, no politics in this. I just want people in general to speak out against this and not be silent on it because it’s China.

I can understand that, and in my work I have a link to someone who has been doing work on Uigher issues, can't say any more than that.

We do need to pull up China on this but we also need to be consistent and realise what we can achieve. From an Australian perspective we need to be less reliant on China because our reliance does limit what our government can and/or is willing to say.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

There is an outcry and rightfully so. The Chinese are committing genocide against their own people. And they have also sewn up deals with many countries around the world.

Meanwhile we as consumers continue to buy cheap chinese iPhones and tvs etc, and the big companies in the west still outsource manufacturing to China.

Criticise the Andrews BRI deal but make sure you do the same with the LNP deal on the Darwin port.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Any opinion on that decision if it goes that way?
no, to be honest. i dont know much about the deal. when it was in the press a few months ago is certainly looked like a bit of political opportunism from the feds .
I assume their are economic benefits to victoria, and no security issues.
at this stage we dont have sanctions against China, and appear to be happy to trade with them, so why is this deal any different? (not actually a rhetorical question- i dont know.)

should Australia do what is can to support those oppressed, and worse, in China- definitely, but a few cheap words here and there and cancelling a deal that I am sure to China isnt that significant wont change much.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
no, to be honest. i dont know much about the deal. when it was in the press a few months ago is certainly looked like a bit of political opportunism from the feds .
I assume their are economic benefits to victoria, and no security issues.
at this stage we dont have sanctions against China, and appear to be happy to trade with them, so why is this deal any different? (not actually a rhetorical question- i dont know.)

should Australia do what is can to support those oppressed, and worse, in China- definitely, but a few cheap words here and there and cancelling a deal that I am sure to China isnt that significant wont change much.
That's probably your lamest post ever. And that includes the McGuane thread.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
That's probably your lamest post ever. And that includes the McGuane thread.
perhaps you can enlighten me, and others, why the it is a bad deal for Victoria, and Australia, and assuming you think we should scrap the deal, what other trade we should and shouldnt be doing with China?

and my posting about Luke McGuane was always quality.