China | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

China

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
What do you suggest we do then MD Jazz?

DS
Get out of default left wing mode sometimes?

The Fed labour gov't supported the libs legislation passed to allow them to tear up the Vic B&R agreement. Why?

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
So this is the MOU: https://www.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/2019-02/Belt-and-Road-Initiative-MOU.pdf

The first sentencing includes: "...promoting the silkroad spirit centering on peace, cooperation, openness, inclusiveness..."

As Jonathan E. Hillman puts it:

It calls for “inclusiveness”, but China imprisons more than a million ethnic and religious minorities and detains journalists and foreign NGO workers. It calls for “peace", but China militarises disputed territory. It calls for “openness”, but China lashes out against calls for an international inquiry into the COVID-19 pandemic.

China doesn't do anything for mutual benefit, that is clear. It's always a win-lose proposition for them.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
perhaps you can enlighten me, and others, why the it is a bad deal for Victoria, and Australia, and assuming you think we should scrap the deal, what other trade we should and shouldnt be doing with China?

and my posting about Luke McGuane was always quality.
Where did I say it was a bad deal?

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
China doesn't do anything for mutual benefit, that is clear. It's always a win-lose proposition for them.
And the minute the Gov speaks out for an inquiry that will need Chinas cooperation as a signatory of the WHOin relation to Covid the Gov is suddenly doing the wrong thing diplomatically.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Get out of default left wing mode sometimes?

The Fed labour gov't supported the libs legislation passed to allow them to tear up the Vic B&R agreement. Why?

Right, so, no answer, just as I thought.

China doesn't do anything for mutual benefit? Really? So tell me, who does?

This is the system we live under, screw everyone else for your own benefit. When the CCP does it apparently it is wrong, but that is the basis of neo-liberalism and is actually a contrast to classical liberalism.

Since my view is that neo-liberalism is a steaming *smile* I have no problem opposing this, but the default right wing mode is screw everyone else and look after yourself so I will stay in left wing mode thanks. By the way, there's nothing remotely left wing about the authoritarian regime of state capitalism in China.

DS

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I have no thoughts on Dan's deal with China as I am not aware of the contents.

Are you suggesting we cut all ties with China? No exports, no diplomatic ties, no ties between universities etc? Yeah, good luck with that, too many of the Lib's mates making money out of links with China for that to happen.

If you want to criticise Dan for whatever he signed in relation to the Belt and Road Initiative and unsign that agreement, then you have to consider all the other agreements with China and also all the private sector links with China. Do you want to be consistent or just grandstand about one particular link with China for political point scoring?

DS
Are you aware of the contents of all those other deals then? Neither am I.
But maybe just maybe there are aspects of belt and road that make it worthy of special consideration and repudiation? Does it cross state / federal boundaries for instance?
Seems a little bit more weighty than sister city relationship.

Did China single out Vic .... hey Dan first and only offer or we are off to Qld?
Or was the offer spruiked to every Premier and the other 5 said thanks but no thanks? What did Vic see that others didn't? What did Vic negotiate in that others couldn't to make it fly?

Whether you are for or against, does anyone know if anything has actually occurred as result of the deal? Vic companies advantaged in trade with China? Universities given more money by China for research? Chinese companies preferencing Melb over Sydney for high rise development. Promoting Vic as tourism destination by directing state airlines to fly to Melbourne over other Aust airports?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Maybe belt and road was very little, maybe they started negotiating after a sister city. Maybe China were just starting with Vic and offered a good deal. See, I can speculate too.

Who knows what is in the deals, but Australia has a lot of links with China, why single out this one? We also have links with many other governments who are not exactly nice to their people, why single out this one?

DS

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010

To borrow from Orwell, looks like Lithuania displayed a bit of 'wrong think'. Such a fragile, childish, and petty overreaction from the CCP. But that is standard operating practice that I've come to expect.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We can't afford China to forge strong relationships with Indonesia.

Lefties have been telling y'all that foreign aid is also soft power. Now that China is stepping in to fill the gap people are starting to understand this.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
They're a going to breed more & more true believers.

"An editorial in a Chinese state-run news website has suggested Communist party members are obliged to have three children for the good of the country, as Beijing seeks to address plummeting birthrates."

After years n years of one child policy, where a large % of newborns were male, leaving an imbalance in the ratio of men to women. China has now changed it's mind n mandating a minimum of three kids per family. With a starting population of well over a billion people, they'll be over crowded n spreading out everywhere in another 3 or 4 generations. Make some room people.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
After years n years of one child policy, where a large % of newborns were male, leaving an imbalance in the ratio of men to women. China has now changed it's mind n mandating a minimum of three kids per family. With a starting population of well over a billion people, they'll be over crowded n spreading out everywhere in another 3 or 4 generations. Make some room people.
We'll be ok, we'll be just about due to get our new submarines by then.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users