Chris Scott is the best game day coach in the AFL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chris Scott is the best game day coach in the AFL

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Sums up the heartbreak of sport I reckon. Winners are satisfied and losers live the rest of their lives in an endless torture of 'what if'.

If being in a winning position in consecutive years at half time in a preliminary and a grand final is plugging along then coaching is a pretty tough school. On a mathematical probability at half time in those games he was likely closer to back to back flags than anyone even has been, apart from coaches who have actually won them, and he didn't win any. You'd feel a bit stiff.
Ross Lyon in 2009/10 was way closer. A missed poster and a bad bounce.

Reactions: 3 users

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
When he said "help me out" he was struggling to say more. He'd spent the previous few minutes saying how good we were, I cut him some slack. Imagine how you would feel as a losing coach after finally making the GF.
Honestly I couldn't care less. Have no sympathy for him whatsoever.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Yeah good call, the Saints were stiff.

I felt a little taste of what it would be like to lose a Grand Final during the second quarter last night. Not something I would care to feel again in a hurry.
I was an out of control sook. Lucky we have Cotchin his band of merry men, or I might be speaking from a hospital ward getting a heart valve fixed.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I know we like to bag Scott, well I do, but listening to his after match talk, he did did give Richmond the credit we deserve no matter hard it was for him. I did like one comment where he said the all the other teams know how the Tigers play but need the right players to be able to do that and no one else has

Reactions: 8 users

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
Big error in the third not playing Danger in mid much... but would he have made much difference? I think not. But first half he had them up and firing, they put the heat on us for two quarters.
Can’t put this on Scott, he did say him and the show pony spoke about and dangerflop felt he was better hiding in the forward line

Reactions: 2 users

nqtiger

In the jungle
Mar 7, 2004
Back From The jungle
Yeah good call, the Saints were stiff.

I felt a little taste of what it would be like to lose a Grand Final during the second quarter last night. Not something I would care to feel again in a hurry.
At the ground half way through the second I said they have had their five minutes we will get ours but it didn’t look good, when Martin got the goal I said to the tiger heads next to me , that’s a start

Tigerhealer

I'm a llama!
Sep 7, 2003
At the ground half way through the second I said they have had their five minutes we will get ours but it didn’t look good, when Martin got the goal I said to the tiger heads next to me , that’s a start

we were chatting in a messenger group while watching the game
one of the guys called it and said "relax, remember last years prelim"
that was just before dusty kicked that goal in the 2nd

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
On ABC radio yesterday that pointed to the fact that the tigers are easily the best finals team since the Hawks of the 80’s - that we finish 3rd and win three flags each time demonstrate that Hardwick is one of the best coaches ever - we don’t dominate seasons (like the cats and lions did during their dynasty periods), we don’t dominate AA positions like the cats and Hawks did at their peaks but Hardwick can get the tigers to raise the bar come finals - that all 22 step up and play as a team - it’s no accident but we are so well coached.

Even Hardwick is underrated as a coach - the best modern day coach ever I say

Reactions: 5 users

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
On ABC radio yesterday that pointed to the fact that the tigers are easily the best finals team since the Hawks of the 80’s - that we finish 3rd and win three flags each time demonstrate that Hardwick is one of the best coaches ever - we don’t dominate seasons (like the cats and lions did during their dynasty periods), we don’t dominate AA positions like the cats and Hawks did at their peaks but Hardwick can get the tigers to raise the bar come finals - that all 22 step up and play as a team - it’s no accident but we are so well coached.

Even Hardwick is underrated as a coach - the best modern day coach ever I say
The Lions never finished on top in any of their wins either.

2017 We were on the up but from past finals failures no one outside the club believed we could do it.

2019 Injuries all year then had a brilliant 12 win streak to claim the flag.

2020 Injuries again yet still played some good footy , but off field distractions etc ,

So 19 & 20 due to injuries etc we weren't seen as the dominant team during the early/mid parts of the season but that what's makes it so special & proves how good of a team/club this really is is that we were able to hang in there with great depth & leaders & coaching staff get players back on the park & then show who really is the best side in the comp & win the premierships the way we have.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Losing coach in the Grand Final is on a hiding to nothing. Have to front up to the press conference after what is a devastating loss.

Teams are measured by flags, no-one counts how many times you came runner up.

I think Scott handled it well, and if it really is a reflection of a bit of a change in attitude he may become the coach who gets Geelong over the line. My dislike of him has reduced massively. Remember, Geelong have to improve only by a very small amount to take the prize, they have been close for years for very good reason.

I still remember 1982, bloody awful losing a Grand Final. Geelong would be well served looking at what happened to us after that. I don't think they will do anything like what we did, but, although I reckon we lost it when Tom Hafey was forced out after 1976, we doubled down on mediocrity after the 1982 loss.

DS

Reactions: 7 users

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
It is the media that build him up as an all time great that annoys me. I don't normally care what the media say but I think it was David King (and perhaps others) on Foxfooty that called Chris Scott, Chris Belichick a few times this year. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. For those of you who don't know who Bill Belichick is, he is widely regarded as if not the best, one of the best NFL coaches ever.

Let's look at their records:

Belichick vs Scott:
Completed seasons: 25 vs 10
Final/playoff games: 43 vs 24
Finals/playoff wins (%): 31 (72) vs 9 (38)
Grand final/Superbowl appearances: 9 vs 2
Premierships/Championships: 6 vs 1
Assistant coach premierships: 2 vs ?

On top of this, Chris Scott's premiership as coach is widely considered Bomber Thompson's left over premiership.

Yes, Belichick may have had Tom Brady to help him out but to call Chris Scott, Chris Belichick (even tongue in cheek...though it wasn't) must be close to the dumbest thing a so called AFL expert has said ever.

• Wow

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
I have greater respect for Chris Scott after watching his presser.
Despite hurting bad, his opening remarks were generous in acknowledgement of the victors, and the AFL and comp in general.
Have generally found his post match conferences open, heartfelt and mostly devoid of coaching techno-babble.
He is a fierce competitor but also a quality act.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
On ABC radio yesterday that pointed to the fact that the tigers are easily the best finals team since the Hawks of the 80’s - that we finish 3rd and win three flags each time demonstrate that Hardwick is one of the best coaches ever - we don’t dominate seasons (like the cats and lions did during their dynasty periods),

Lions never finished on top in triple premiership years - 2/2/3

They won 17/17/14 games

Like the Hawks of 13/14/15 they managed to be peaking in finals. This is the real art of managing a season. Dimma publicly acknowledged he got it wrong in 2018 but has got it oh so right in the last 2 years.

Reactions: 7 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Scott has matured. Either he took a long look in the mirror or someone he respected told him, "Mate, when you act like a petulant child, refusing to acknowledge that the team that keeps belting you in big finals is any good, you look like a flog", and he listened.

It was a classy, reflective press conference from a bloke you could see was hurting.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Scott has matured. Either he took a long look in the mirror or someone he respected told him, "Mate, when you act like a petulant child, refusing to acknowledge that the team that keeps belting you in big finals is any good, you look like a flog", and he listened.

It was a classy, reflective press conference from a bloke you could see was hurting.

Shaun Grigg??

Reactions: 4 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Losing coach Geelong have to improve only by a very small amount to take the prize, they have been close for years for very good reason.

I still remember 1982, awful losing a Grand Final. Geelong would be well served looking at what happened to us after that. I don't think they will do anything like what we did, but, although I reckon we lost it when Tom Hafey was forced out after 1976, we doubled down on mediocrity after the 1982 loss.

DS
Adelaide & GWS says "hello"