Chris Scott is the best game day coach in the AFL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chris Scott is the best game day coach in the AFL

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It was a classy, reflective press conference from a bloke you could see was hurting.
It was hurting more for him because he had built up this hatred and lack of respect for everything we did and achieved. In his bitter mind there was no way we deserved 2 flags so he was going to set things straight by denying us a 3rd and proving to the world he was right all along.

Reactions: 8 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
It was hurting more for him because he had built up this hatred and lack of respect for everything we did and achieved. In his bitter mind there was no way we deserved 2 flags so he was going to set things straight by denying us a 3rd and proving to the world he was right all along.
So he's finally come to his senses? I doubt it, it's all a ploy IMO because his approach clearly hasn't worked and has no other choice but to change the salty approach in order to win. It's not a change of attitude, its a change of approach. The "humble" version of Chris Scott doesn't wash, but that’s just me.

Reactions: 5 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Way too many threads and posts on here wasted on discussing the Salt Meister.

He's been an annoying little *smile* who's been constantly yapping away at us trying to claim some superiority over us despite the world seeing what was what.

Last night we finally shut him up for good.
Cooorreeeect! He's a massive twat! The End!

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
He conceded that we beat them fair and square and in 2020 are the better team.

But, imagine you are the committee of a professional football team who have just lost a Grand Final. Do you want your coach saying the other team are just better, or do you want your coach saying they are better now but we can get better than they are? If the coach concedes another team is simply better and at a level which they can't attain I would be asking for a resignation.

Chris Scott has to believe he can improve Geelong to the level where they beat us. They had us on toast mid way through the second quarter, they have plenty to work with. He is a professional and fiercely competitive bastard, as he should be, and he will be plotting the downfall of anyone in his way, as he should be.

Meanwhile, our coach and brains trust will be looking to see how we can get better so we avoid being on toast at any point in the season decider.

It is a very competitive business and coaches of teams contending for the big prize are always thinking they can pull it off, as they should be.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

JR8

Tiger Legend
Apr 23, 2003
Melbourne - Eastern Subs
I have greater respect for Chris Scott after watching his presser.
Despite hurting bad, his opening remarks were generous in acknowledgement of the victors, and the AFL and comp in general.
Have generally found his post match conferences open, heartfelt and mostly devoid of coaching techno-babble.
He is a fierce competitor but also a quality act.

Don't believe him for even one minute.

A leopard doesn't change its spots.

He's not fooling anybody.

Both him and Dangerflog................MAJOR MAJOR wankers.

Reactions: 9 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Scott has matured. Either he took a long look in the mirror or someone he respected told him, "Mate, when you act like a petulant child, refusing to acknowledge that the team that keeps belting you in big finals is any good, you look like a flog", and he listened.

It was a classy, reflective press conference from a bloke you could see was hurting.
Yep. Grigg would have had a word with him.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yep, ok Salty behaved better Saturday but one swallow and all that jazz. It was only last week he was obnoxious self with Abbey Holmes where was looking at the ground as he gave answers, answering with a terse “as I said before” and generally acting like an ignorant Scott.

Reactions: 2 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
He conceded that we beat them fair and square and in 2020 are the better team.

But, imagine you are the committee of a professional football team who have just lost a Grand Final. Do you want your coach saying the other team are just better, or do you want your coach saying they are better now but we can get better than they are? If the coach concedes another team is simply better and at a level which they can't attain I would be asking for a resignation.

Chris Scott has to believe he can improve Geelong to the level where they beat us. They had us on toast mid way through the second quarter, they have plenty to work with. He is a professional and fiercely competitive bastard, as he should be, and he will be plotting the downfall of anyone in his way, as he should be.

Meanwhile, our coach and brains trust will be looking to see how we can get better so we avoid being on toast at any point in the season decider.

It is a very competitive business and coaches of teams contending for the big prize are always thinking they can pull it off, as they should be.

DS

I agree DS but he has had us on toast during the finals twice now and still not been able to eat us up....... slow learner, we keep improving at the same rate they are or is our team just that 4 - 5 goal better team than they are under a pressure finals game.

To beat them in finals 3 times in four years will hurt.

Somehow I think the penny has dropped and Scott realises we are actually a much better team than they are....and he hates it as he is a stubborn old man who hates losing.

His lack of flags since 2011 will be weighing him down and he knows he is or has run out of time.

Reactions: 3 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Chris Scott has to believe he can improve Geelong to the level where they beat us. They had us on toast mid way through the second quarter,

Largely because of Flossy's injury, it completely disrupted our defence until late in the 2nd quarter.

Reactions: 7 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
They need to change, not a lot, but they are not quite making it to the top so something must be slightly off.

Actually, the most obvious exemplar of their need to change was the recruiting of Josh Jenkins. Just could not understand why you would do that given the way he plays, such a front runner who goes missing when you need him most. They should analyse how that decision was made and the logic and process behind it because it is precisely that sort of decision which indicates what is wrong.

Geelong have been at or near the top for 10 years, they do a hell of a lot right. But they have fallen agonisingly close too often not to have a look at what they can do to take that final step.

What Scott needs to do, and look at Bucks for guidance on what not to do, is he needs a bit more humility but any change Scott makes to his demeanor and how he coaches must fit with his personality. He can't turn himself into anyone but Chris Scott, adapt, don't try and be someone you are not.

DS
Geelong trade for Jenkins and Stevens from St Kilda.

Richmond has a rookie as its best and fairest, and another in Bakers come in sixth.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It was a gracious acknowledgement that he finally gave the RFC, well done to Scott.
Though the thought of him crying himself to sleep Saturday night gives me quite a bit of joy.

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
Largely because of Flossy's injury, it completely disrupted our defence until late in the 2nd quarter.
And Houli could not run and Grimes was cleverly taken away by Rohan...but it also took away one of their 3 only goal kickers.
It left Dave with a wrong matchup.
The solution was Dave to Hawkins and Balta up the ground and Broad on Danger. This is what turned the tactical game.
Interesting because Dave back and Balta on ball was always the answer but understandably we were all bewitched by Balta at full back. It is one of the reasons we lost to Lions.

Reactions: 8 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Interesting because Dave back and Balta on ball was always the answer but understandably we were all bewitched by Balta at full back. It is one of the reasons we lost to Lions.
Tend to agree.

I think Balta is the sort of bloke who can play anywhere so when you have a full back of Astbury's quality, why not play Balta in an offensive rather than defensive capacity? Philosophically, it's no different to having half backs the quality of Short, Grimes, Houli and Baker, meaning you can deploy Dusty ahead of the ball.

Balta with the ball in his hands between the arcs suddenly means we're about to go full steam into attack.

We just somehow looked better with him on the ball.

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I agree DS but he has had us on toast during the finals twice now and still not been able to eat us up....... slow learner, we keep improving at the same rate they are or is our team just that 4 - 5 goal better team than they are under a pressure finals game.

To beat them in finals 3 times in four years will hurt.

Somehow I think the penny has dropped and Scott realises we are actually a much better team than they are....and he hates it as he is a stubborn old man who hates losing.

His lack of flags since 2011 will be weighing him down and he knows he is or has run out of time.

Of course he believes he can improve Geelong enough to beat us, but doesn't mean he succeeds!

The reality is, with a team like Richmond at the moment, Hawthorn, Brisbane, Geelong over the last 20 years - you have to believe that you can get to their level but you also know how bloody hard it is when one team is performing so well and you know the current top dog will be working damned hard to stay there.

Scott, along with pretty much the whole industry, knows exactly how we play, exactly how good our players are when playing to our plan, exactly which players might be unsung but are actually damned good, and they have ways they reckon they can stifle our game. The issue is implementing it. The issue for the club at the top is when things start to drop off, just a little, and then it gets much harder to maintain.

Don't get me wrong, I do love beating Scott. But I sure as hell am not going to underestimate his drive and ability (might underestimate his personality at times because it sure comes across as salty even if that is only what we see in public).

DS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Dumb
Just dumb.
He saw in 10 minutes what damaged Ratagalia caused us and left him out and then once again went to game with no pace...

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dumb
Just dumb.
He saw in 10 minutes what damaged Ratagalia caused us and left him out and then once again went to game with no pace...

Agree, Ratagalia seems to play well against us. He is young isn't he, could be a great player. Big, can mark, can ruck. Plenty of upside. Geelong would have caused us more problems with him in and they would be mad not to hang on to him.

DS