Chris Scott is the best game day coach in the AFL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Chris Scott is the best game day coach in the AFL

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I don't think Scott made an error by keeping Danger forward.

Geelong have been gettable because their supposed 'holy trinity' midfield, was actually pretty poor.

An elderly Ablett became a one way runner. Selwood is, and always has been, a limited footballer with a battering ram for a head. And Dangerfield is the worst A grade midfielder in the competition.

What does the worst A grader look like? Someone who is elite at getting the ball. Elite at carrying it at speed. Someone with vice like hands, incredible athleticism, strength, speed and leap.

But someone who also fumbles when the heat is on. Has poor peripheral vision. Someone without any creativity, or ability to improvise. Someone who can't react to pressure, without defaulting to run hard/kick hard. A player for which burst running and long kicking is their one wood, but is also their five iron and their putter. Someone who wants to win a game, rather than help their team win a game.

Midfield is the most complex, creative, improvisational position on the field. You need to be able to switch from attack to defend, create to block, break away to close down, in the space of a microsecond. You need to know where everyone is around you, and what they're all doing. You need to know where the ball is and where the space is. Dangerfield knows only that he looks good when he grabs the ball and runs fast with it.

He is a poor midfielder.

The forward line is easier. Can you jump high and hold onto a ball? Do you have the speed to get on to a lead? Can you kick it long and hard? Can you tackle if you need to?

Danger can do those things. He is a good forward. If he plays there from now on, he could be a great one.

When Geelong shifted to Duncan, Guthrie, Selwood and Menegola running through there, they suddenly became a proposition. I was legitimately scared of that midfield, as opposed to laughing confidently about Ablett's lack of pace, Selwood's lack of athleticism, and Dangerfield's total lack of composure and skill. At the end of the day, his best attribute is being able to get free and into space. But his worst attribute is then having the decision making and skill to make good on that. Which makes him essentially a wash, and when you're kicking into Richmond's backline, it makes you a liability.

He had to play forward.

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
FoxFooty are showing a replay of the Cats v Pies semi final, the score is 60 to 6 just before halftime. Salty had the Cats looking like Premiers :banana

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
There is a case to be made that the cats were our most difficult opponents in 2019 and 2020, and maybe 2017.

To some extent Scott's poor finals record has been impacted by the tiger juggernaut. No tigers and potentially he has two more premierships.

Long may it continue.

Reactions: 11 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Isaac Smith and Shaun Higgins almost certain to be at Geelong. Well, we know what Scotts game plan is going to be next year, possession, possession and more possession. It's going to end in tears again.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I don’t understand why they are recruiting these older players - they need a game breaking a grader - not more of the old mans club.

Agree - desperate move by Scott as I see 2 of his first rounders going to GWS for JC.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Are you rating him on one game?

Not sure what's sillier, the statement itself or that at least 8 posters agree.

I'm rating him on every game he's ever played.

But you're true to form as someone who constantly trolls my posts without ever having the basic comprehension to engage with them.

Reactions: 1 user

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
I don't think Scott made an error by keeping Danger forward.

Geelong have been gettable because their supposed 'holy trinity' midfield, was actually pretty poor.

An elderly Ablett became a one way runner. Selwood is, and always has been, a limited footballer with a battering ram for a head. And Dangerfield is the worst A grade midfielder in the competition.

What does the worst A grader look like? Someone who is elite at getting the ball. Elite at carrying it at speed. Someone with vice like hands, incredible athleticism, strength, speed and leap.

But someone who also fumbles when the heat is on. Has poor peripheral vision. Someone without any creativity, or ability to improvise. Someone who can't react to pressure, without defaulting to run hard/kick hard. A player for which burst running and long kicking is their one wood, but is also their five iron and their putter. Someone who wants to win a game, rather than help their team win a game.

Midfield is the most complex, creative, improvisational position on the field. You need to be able to switch from attack to defend, create to block, break away to close down, in the space of a microsecond. You need to know where everyone is around you, and what they're all doing. You need to know where the ball is and where the space is. Dangerfield knows only that he looks good when he grabs the ball and runs fast with it.

He is a poor midfielder.

The forward line is easier. Can you jump high and hold onto a ball? Do you have the speed to get on to a lead? Can you kick it long and hard? Can you tackle if you need to?

Danger can do those things. He is a good forward. If he plays there from now on, he could be a great one.

When Geelong shifted to Duncan, Guthrie, Selwood and Menegola running through there, they suddenly became a proposition. I was legitimately scared of that midfield, as opposed to laughing confidently about Ablett's lack of pace, Selwood's lack of athleticism, and Dangerfield's total lack of composure and skill. At the end of the day, his best attribute is being able to get free and into space. But his worst attribute is then having the decision making and skill to make good on that. Which makes him essentially a wash, and when you're kicking into Richmond's backline, it makes you a liability.

He had to play forward.
Enjoyed your post, however when the game was blown wide open after half time, your put your best players where the action is. Now here is where I think the issue is.

Yes everyone agrees that Patrick is an exceptional player etc, He hasnt been able to produce that at the pointy end of the year. And that is why I think the coach was flawed keeping him there. He had to go to the midfield.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
TBRs post from yesterday gave really great insights into how you deal with DF as a forward, and how you deal with him as a midfielder. Great player but no adaptability, so if you can execute right, you can stop him. Against us he did very little in midfield, as a forward he got one goal from a marginal free kick.

Broad towelled him up when he played forward. He's got the pace to go with him on the lead, and the body work to keep him under the ball. One incident where he flew and very nearly marked it - Graham, fearless, got absolutely crunched but of course bounced up, no complaints and ran with his man.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm rating him on every game he's ever played.

But you're true to form as someone who constantly trolls my posts without ever having the basic comprehension to engage with them.

Well the stats don’t support your personal ratings. Not do various awards he has received. How do you engage with opinion not supported by statistical measures? Maybe you didn’t mean to say poor? Because that would mean the likes of Prestia, Cotchin etc are woeful.

I can’t stand Dangerfield and stats alone can be misleading but I think the fact that he is widely acknowledged and awarded as one of the best mids in the game is confirmation that he is not a poor midfielder.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
To add, perhaps he has been poorly coached? Perhaps he has been asked to do more than he should, and that is the reason he often fails in the big games against us? That he tries too hard to do it all himself? And if he had a coach like dimma and a mind coach like Emma Murray he may be a better team player?

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
Well the stats don’t support your personal ratings. Not do various awards he has received. How do you engage with opinion not supported by statistical measures? Maybe you didn’t mean to say poor? Because that would mean the likes of Prestia, Cotchin etc are woeful.

I can’t stand Dangerfield and stats alone can be misleading but I think the fact that he is widely acknowledged and awarded as one of the best mids in the game is confirmation that he is not a poor midfielder.

I never said he was a poor footballer. I said he was a poor midfielder.

I actually said he was A grade. But I suppose you didn't read it.

There's a reason he was named in the forward line in the AA team. Not the midfield.

Despite the fact that he only kicked 11 goals for the year.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
TBRs post from yesterday gave really great insights into how you deal with DF as a forward, and how you deal with him as a midfielder. Great player but no adaptability, so if you can execute right, you can stop him. Against us he did very little in midfield, as a forward he got one goal from a marginal free kick.

Broad towelled him up when he played forward. He's got the pace to go with him on the lead, and the body work to keep him under the ball. One incident where he flew and very nearly marked it - Graham, fearless, got absolutely crunched but of course bounced up, no complaints and ran with his man.

Yeah that was fantastic from Graham. He’s as tough as nails. So glad he’s staying with us.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I never said he was a poor footballer. I said he was a poor midfielder.

I actually said he was A grade. But I suppose you didn't read it.

There's a reason he was named in the forward line in the AA team. Not the midfield.

Despite the fact that he only kicked 11 goals for the year.

I understand what you said. I just disagree with it. He’s won multiple AA selections and a Brownlow as a mid. He’s won multiple media awards as a mid yet you argue he’s a poor midfielder and has been his whole career? You don’t think perhaps that’s an exaggeration.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
I understand what you said. I just disagree with it. He’s won multiple AA selections and a Brownlow as a mid. He’s won multiple media awards as a mid yet you argue he’s a poor midfielder and has been his whole career? You don’t think perhaps that’s an exaggeration.

No. I don't.

There's a reason he does his best work when his team's in front.

There's a reason his most valuable asset as a mid is his ability to go forward.

There's a reason he's been known as clangerfield since he played for the Crows.

I stand by what I said. He's an elite athlete with some elite footballing attributes, which suit him better when he plays forward than mid. His midfield craft is poor. He is not creative or silky. He is a poor kick, a poor user and and a poor decision maker. He gets exposed defensively all the time, and gets exposed offensively when the pressure's on.

As for All Australians, brownlow and media awards, I wish there were a way to effectively type a long, slow, loud raspberry.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Interesting discussion.

As mids, I see Treloar and Danger in the same boat - both are hard at it, can get their own ball, generally get plenty of it and can burst packs.

But

both butcher the ball and lack that creative element that Sheds, Dusty, Ablett have.

So I rate both A grade but not A + like our blokes.

What makes Danger a very good player is that he can kick goals, but negating this is he has gone missing in big games.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Sums up my view as well.

He's a great player, there's no question about that. He would be even better if he produced his best in a big final but that doesn't change the fact he is an exceptional player.

Greg Norman was a great golfer but you wouldn't want to have your money on him in a major. It is possible to be both.

Not a bad analogy. Norman may not have won as many majors as the likes of Faldo and Els but I regard him a much better golfer. He won many more tournaments all over the world just not the “majors”.

DF is a pretty easy target right now.