Chris Yarran

King Kong

Tiger Superstar
Aug 26, 2016
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
We obviously knew. Punted and lost. And still won a flag.

Yarran previously claimed he was introduced to ice in "the eighth year" of his career, which placed him at Richmond. Clearly not true. The HS article mentions Yarran causing "upheaval" at Carlton in 2014 and spending time in rehab in 2015.
Yeh we punted a 1st round draft pick also

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
My issue is more the draft pick we used if we knew he had issues. If Carlton wanted to get rid of him they would surely have accepted a lower pick.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I don't think his drug issues (if they existed then) were known by Carlton or us at that stage, however there were strong suggestions of a gambling issue.

What was also fact was he was a terrible trainer, undisciplined athlete and his mental capacity for elite sport was poor.

I'd argue trading for him is our worst decision since the inception of a national draft.

zgod

Tiger Champion
Feb 25, 2008
I reckon it was a risk worth taking.
Him and Houli streaking off half back would have been amazing.
This was the inception of the speed machine.

zgod

Tiger Champion
Feb 25, 2008
King Kong said:
Read the thread flog. I said we paid way too much
Did you?
Why would I read the entire thread?
Are you still in your jim jams or has mummy put you to bed?
:hihi

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
zgod said:
I reckon it was a risk worth taking.
Him and Houli streaking off half back would have been amazing.
This was the inception of the speed machine.
No it wasn't.

Even if the rumours of off field stuff had turned out to be myth, it doesn't change the fact that he was an exceptionally poor football choice as well.

What was indisputable was he was a front running footballer who couldn't handle any sort of defensive pressure.

That he frequently dropped his bundle at the first sign of any sign of discipline.

That his professional standards in lifestyle and training were awful.

That he would sulk if his individual performance wasn't strong, regardless of whether or not the team was winning.

Any of that stuff would take about 5 minutes research to find out and should be a deal breaker.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Malthouse just admitted tonight on ABC radio that he knew Yarrum had a drug problem whilst he was at Carlton yet they still traded him - one of our worst modern day trades and Carlton are a pack of cheats.

Reckon we could have got him on the rookie draft if we had played it hard.

Tigers of Old

Twitter: @Tigers_of_Old
Jul 26, 2004
year of the tiger said:
Malthouse just admitted tonight on ABC radio that he knew Yarrum had a drug problem whilst he was at Carlton yet they still traded him - one of our worst modern day trades and Carlton are a pack of cheats.

Reckon we could have got him on the rookie draft if we had played it hard.
Pick 19. Waay worse than the McMahon trade. One of our worst ever I reckon.

Brimmy

Tassie Tiger
Apr 19, 2018
The Big Richo said:
From my memory Scully and Trengove were considered the stand out 1 and 2.
It must have been widely known who Melb were taking.I remember Sydney we’re dead keen on Dusty and offered us Picks#7&#10 for Pick#3 to get him.
Francis held firm,to his eternal credit,the rest as they say,is history.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
5SKULL5 said:
Been plenty of reports how Francis Jackson had been tracking Dusty for a couple years.
Fair bit of gilding the lily goes on.

Dustin wasn't even in the TAC system until Jamie Elliott, who was coaching Castlemaine at the time, rang the Bendigo Pioneers and had a crack at them for not having him on their list. He then played the last four games of 07 and all of 08. I'd say it is highly likely Frank Jackson had never heard of him until 2008.

As an aside, no one from Richmond ever had a single conversation with anyone from the Pioneers about Dustin.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
The Big Richo said:
Fair bit of gilding the lily goes on.

Dustin wasn't even in the TAC system until Jamie Elliott, who was coaching Castlemaine at the time, rang the Bendigo Pioneers and had a crack at them for not having him on their list. He then played the last four games of 07 and all of 08. I'd say it is highly likely Frank Jackson had never heard of him until 2008.

As an aside, no one from Richmond ever had a single conversation with anyone from the Pioneers about Dustin.
Astbury was playing alongside Dusty in those VicCountry games (where Dusty was dominating) so we must have at least been watching those games pretty closely. Can't recall the other draftees playing for VicCountry in the games though.